Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1141 - 1160 of 2272 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
I get WNPI almost all the time and cannot get Global from Blackburn Hamlet. Where did they get their refurbished transmitter?

I can try with another FM trap. The one I have helps with channel 7.

-gmd

·
Registered
805 Posts
crappy (interference)

Bancroft looked cleaner (with more snow).

I will look into the pre-amp's fm trap (as opposed to separate trap)

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
That interference didn't go anywhere. If anything, it should interfere more with Global digital, since the average (not peak) signal power has decreased by about a factor of 5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
post transition global - trouble

Hi, first time poster here. I'm suddenly having trouble with Global as of Sept. 8th or 9th!

I get all the UHF local channels in Ottawa and was receiving Global no trouble after the transition on 6.1. However, as of September 8th or 9th, 2011, my reception of global has suffered. I kinda still get it, but it's blocky.

I've been very successful with my OTA setup so far. Here is my setup:
Channel Master 4221HD
Channel Master 7777 Preamp
Winegard VHF antenna.

Oh ya, here is my TVfool link (I've read enough posts to know it will be asked): http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=14f39d4a949e83

I don't know know if the FM trap on the preamp is on or off (which should it be?). I did not clip off those parts of the winegard antenna to exclude FM (I seem to remember something about it in the antenna instructions).

The preamp combines the signals of the two antennas. I guess I should note that the setup is in my attic (yes, I know, for shame). But it has been great so far, I even get channels from the states when the weather cooperates!

Is there something that happened in the last 5 days to impact global? Like I said, I was getting global 100% for the first week after transition and now it is degraded....

Help!

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm assuming that the interference is the same, as I didn't see much of CIII-TV before it switched to digital (as we were moving right before the switch).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the help.
The UHF antenna that I have is a homemade bowtie style antenna. Made it from this site.
http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/
I am just getting into this so that I can drop my cable provider. Everything I watch is over the air, so I went online and this is what I found.
I may have to modify it to capture VHF channels, FM trap eh? I will have to do a little research to find out more, and if I can actually make this.
Do you know why CBOFT and Global did not go to UHF frequencies? I know that the quality of VHF do not degrade as easily as a UHF, perhaps that is why. Like I said, I don't know enough about it yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im in Orleans and currently get :
4-1 CBOT-DT
11-1 CHCHDT1 (CHCH) 480i
13-1 CJOH (CTV1) 1080i
14-1 OMNI2 1080i
24-1 TVO 1080i
30-1 CIVO-DT 1080i
40-1 CHOT 1080i
42-1 CTS-HD 1080i
43-1 CHRO (CTV2) 1080i
60-1 OMNI1 1080i
65-1 City TV

I am trying to get 6-1 Global and 9-1 CBOFT.
I could get CBOFT before Sept 1, but can't even pick up the signal now?
Any thoughts on these 2 channels?
Thanks,
I am in Ottawa South and have the same problem with 9-1, also with 20-1 (SunTV): could receive these in August, they both disappeared on Sep. 1. (I am using rabbit-ear -- don't laugh.) Can receive Global on 6-1, also 4-1, 13-1, 24-1, 30-1, 40-1.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Thanks for the help.
The UHF antenna that I have is a homemade bowtie style antenna. Made it from this site.
http://uhfhdtvantenna.blogspot.com/
You really need to modify your bowtie design per instructions found at this site, the M4 bowtie array discussed in the antennas forum here. The M4 came about by analysing and improving upon the design you built. The M4 has better performance at VHF.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am in Ottawa South and have the same problem with 9-1, also with 20-1 (SunTV): could receive these in August, they both disappeared on Sep. 1. (I am using rabbit-ear -- don't laugh.) Can receive Global on 6-1, also 4-1, 13-1, 24-1, 30-1, 40-1.
SunTV gave up its over the air rights to become a Cable Specialty Channel (or something like that).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Snowdog,

I suspect you have/are encountering maintenance issues with the transmitters.

Even though the official transition occurred Aug 31st, the work preparing for the transition occurred over several nights typically after midnight during August.
This is making less and less sense. It has cut off every episode of Colbert report (~1am) since they came back from break. Damn annoying when you are watching an interview...

When I am awake and check it. All the English channels go down. But 9.1 is still active on the same tower (near camp fortune).

What kind of screwy maintenance would require taking down all the English channels every weeknight at ~1am... But not the french ones.

It is like they set the timer for some maintenance and forget to update it, so the channels go down regardless of any actual maintenance taking place.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
All the french ones (30, 34, 40) go down except for CBOFT 9.1. This might be, perhaps, because CBOFT is at the top of the tower, and they only need to power down the antennas located lower down on the tower.
The antenna order is, from top to bottom:

9 - 4(inactive) - 13 - 30/34/40 - 24/25 - 6

I've left out the FM antennas, because I forgot what order they're in.
Has anyone noticed if any FMs power off overnight?
If I recall correctly, these are the stations broadcasting from Camp Fortune: 88.5 89.1 89.9 90.7 91.5 93.1 93.9 94.5 94.9 100.3 102.5 103.3 104.1 [DEL]104.7[/DEL] 105.3 106.3 106.9

I was thinking that they may be removing the channel 4 antenna, but I would have thought that the channel 9 antenna was close enough to it to need to be powered down, too.

in any case, Snowdog65, you should complain to CJOH, and ask them to delay the powerdown until a break between programs. It wouldn't hurt if they put a crawl that said something like:

"For those watching CTV Ottawa over the air on channel 13.1, we will be going off the air for 4 hours.

If you are watching us on cable, satellite, or over the air on analog channels 6, 8, or 47, regular programming continues unaffected."
You might want to suggest this when you call or email them.

I think the problem is that the traffic system that schedules programs is not integrated with any transmission automation. I know this is an issue with AM radio pattern changes at sunrise and sunset -- the automated 30-second transmitter outage can obliterate a commercial.

·
Registered
30 Posts
All the french ones (30, 34, 40) go down except for CBOFT 9.1. .
Thanks for all the good info. I don't have any of the french channels tuned. I just checked 9.1...

I wonder if CJOH is even aware since the are essentially taking the tower down from a bunch of networks. CJOH is usually the first offline right at 1AM, which is annoying since the programming is staggered for "The Colbert Report", it usually ends at 1:07...

Is there a contact email for CJOH? Even if I could get some idea when this might end it would be good. Edit: I sent an email to the general CTVottawa address from the web page.

Removing the Antenna for Channel 4?? You mean the old analog one for the new one that actually broadcasts on 25 and gets remapped to 4.1?

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
Thanks, that was the one I wasn't sure of.
I just double checked the Industry Canada FM database, and there are in fact only 16 FM stations on Ryan Tower at Camp Fortune. You're right, 104.7 is elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
I wonder if CJOH is even aware since the are essentially taking the tower down from a bunch of networks. CJOH is usually the first offline right at 1AM, which is annoying since the programming is staggered for "The Colbert Report", it usually ends at 1:07...
I'm not sure I understand your question.
Is there a contact email for CJOH? Even if I could get some idea when this might end it would be good. Edit: I sent an email to the general CTVottawa address from the web page.
you can find contact information on the CTV Ottawa web page. Ask them to delay the shutdown until after 1:07.

Removing the Antenna for Channel 4?? You mean the old analog one for the new one that actually broadcasts on 25 and gets remapped to 4.1?
The old analog one.

4.1 is currently broadcast on UHF channel 25 from an antenna it shares with TVO 24.1, halfway down the tower.

This antenna also used to broadcast pre-transition digital stations SunTV 20.1 on 20 and CBOFT 9.1 on 22.

CBOFT 9.1 now broadcasts on channel 9 from the same antenna it used to use for analog broadcasts, located at the very top of the tower.

SunTV has decided not to implement its post-transition license on channel 33, and so has stopped broadcasting over the air in Ottawa.

Channel 20 is now used by OMNI2 on Ottawa's other TV Tower in Herberts Corners.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, first time poster here. I'm suddenly having trouble with Global as of Sept. 8th or 9th!

I get all the UHF local channels in Ottawa and was receiving Global no trouble after the transition on 6.1. However, as of September 8th or 9th, 2011, my reception of global has suffered. I kinda still get it, but it's blocky.

I've been very successful with my OTA setup so far. Here is my setup:
Channel Master 4221HD
Channel Master 7777 Preamp
Winegard VHF antenna.

Oh ya, here is my TVfool link (I've read enough posts to know it will be asked): http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=14f39d4a949e83

I don't know know if the FM trap on the preamp is on or off (which should it be?). I did not clip off those parts of the winegard antenna to exclude FM (I seem to remember something about it in the antenna instructions).

The preamp combines the signals of the two antennas. I guess I should note that the setup is in my attic (yes, I know, for shame). But it has been great so far, I even get channels from the states when the weather cooperates!

Is there something that happened in the last 5 days to impact global? Like I said, I was getting global 100% for the first week after transition and now it is degraded....

Help!
Pei james,

Could be because of FM inteference I was told that Global frequency is close to Radio station frequencies. A new radio station recently came online in late August early september (Boom 99.7 I think). You may want to check your FM trap.

I'm in Riverside South and I'm having no trouble with Global. It's at 97 % and I don;t even have a pre-amp. CM4228 and CM4220 are my antennas.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey everyone.. 1st posting here..Live in the forests of Navan

I bought a new LG 47" 3D HD TV just before the analog to digital transition and was using 2 rabbit ears pointed at Camp Fortune and Herberts corners. I got 9 sometimes 10 of the channels listed and lots of no signals or heavy pixelization on the weaker channels.

From the TVfool.com radar plot report, Camp Fortune is at 286° true north and Herberts corners is at 206° true north That's an 80° separation. I installed a new DB8 antenna on a 10 foot pole attached to the top of my chimney with 65 feet of grounded RG6 cable. That makes the antenna about 42 feet off the ground. There is no pre-amp installed and the signal passes thru a Monster Cable power bar

So to receive 4.1, 6.1, 9.1, 11.1, 13.1, 14.1, 24.1, 30.1, 34.1, 40.1, 42.1, 43.1, 60.1, and 65.1... 14 channels in total, the antenna is pointed at 256° true north. There is still a little pixelization on 6 and 43 as these are weak transmitters to begin with, but they are still very watchable.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
LG47DB8, your setup sounds a lot similar to my own current antenna orientation except I stuck the antenna exactly in the middle of both towers. I am not that far from you in Chapel Hill South but people in Navan usually are better off than I am, with better elevation.

In my opinion, you can improve 43 by sticking your antenna in between the 2 towers at 246 degrees, not 256 towards CF like you have it. Your weaker channels are HC, so why not at least give it a chance ? My guess is you're losing some ch6 when you do. For that, a VHF antenna pointed at CF would help. And for the overall system, a dual input preamp can help mix a UHF and VHF antenna well while giving you a more reliable SNR.

1141 - 1160 of 2272 Posts