Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
2321 - 2340 of 2353 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I’m getting Yes TV 15-1 fine in Kanata. A couple of days ago the signal from 13-1 CJOH-DT was terrible and the station was cutting in and out on my TiVo. It’s ok today though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's strange! I get Yes TV on two TVs with a cheap antenna, amplifier and a splitter. The TVs are essentially daisy-chained, and on my furthest TV, Yes TV has 50% signal strength. CityTV is at 30%, and nine other channels go from 40% to 70%.

What setup do you have? It's possible that something indoors or outdoors, like appliances or construction, is interfering with your setup.
Thanks old sparks and DanceDanceNorth. I have a good roof antenna (Sorry don't recall the model, but it was bought based on research here and other OTA sites, about three years ago. ) mounted on a five foot mast on the roof of my single story house, with a splitter that goes to two TV's. No amp. Right now, neither TV gets YES, both get all other Ottawa area channels. I have had no problems getting YES until just yesterday aft. (The mother in law noted that she couldn't see Jeopardy.) I remember YES switching from 42 (I think ) to 15.1 some time ago, so I was wondering if maybe they switched again. But I didn't see any info on a change and you two have confirmed it's still on 15.1, thanks.

I'll have a look at the antenna (from the ground!) and check signal strength on other channels, though frankly, I don't recall what they were in the past.
I do live in a bit of a lower area, which is why I have the roof antenna. Hmm, I'm wondering if that new high rise under construction at Elmvale mall is reducing signal...but it's about 700 meters north east of me and if I remember correctly the transmission tower north of Ottawa is north west of me?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks old sparks and DanceDanceNorth. I have a good roof antenna (Sorry don't recall the model, but it was bought based on research here and other OTA sites, about three years ago. ) mounted on a five foot mast on the roof of my single story house, with a splitter that goes to two TV's. No amp. Right now, neither TV gets YES, both get all other Ottawa area channels. I have had no problems getting YES until just yesterday aft. (The mother in law noted that she couldn't see Jeopardy.) I remember YES switching from 42 (I think ) to 15.1 some time ago, so I was wondering if maybe they switched again. But I didn't see any info on a change and you two have confirmed it's still on 15.1, thanks.

I'll have a look at the antenna (from the ground!) and check signal strength on other channels, though frankly, I don't recall what they were in the past.
I do live in a bit of a lower area, which is why I have the roof antenna. Hmm, I'm wondering if that new high rise under construction at Elmvale mall is reducing signal...but it's about 700 meters north east of me and if I remember correctly the transmission tower north of Ottawa is north west of me?
Whoops thanks also to runwhatyabrung and FunkyTown.

·
Registered
10 Posts
An update: Still no YES TV reception at 15-1.
I checked the antenna (Terrestial Digital DB8) carefully with binoculars, it doesn't appear to be damaged, no snow or ice on it. And it's an 8 foot mast, not 5 foot. So we're talking 28' -30' elevation. BTW I'm in the Elmvale area, just a couple blocks north from Canterbury High school.
I remember now that I was hoping to get a couple of American stations with this setup, but I've only seen one intermittently, so I gave up on that.

15-1 YES broadcasts from the tower south of Ottawa at Hebert Corners/Manotick. So the new Elmvale mall hi rise is not a factor, since it's north of our house.

As for signal strength, our present TVs give us only a crude 1 to10 bars of signal strength as a measuring stick.
CHRO 43 and CHCH 11 also broadcast from Hebert Corners. For comparison:
YES 15-1 shows 0/10 bars of signal strength, sometimes blinking to 1/10.
CHRO 43 shows 10/10 bars signal strength.
CHCH 11 shows 8/10bars signal strength.
All of the other (15 total) Ottawa stations are coming in fine.

So it looks like somehow CITS is being affected, but not the others that are on the same transmission tower. Weird. DId CITS reduce power?
I tried phoning YES- TV: "We can't anwer your call right now." No hold, no voicemail. So I sent them an email.

I'm really scratching my head over this one. If you have any ideas, please let me know!

·
Registered
10 Posts
A DB8 is a very directional antenna, so if it's shifted in the wind by 10 degrees or so, it could make a big difference in the stations received.
I was hoping you wouldn't mention that! :) It means I will have to wait until spring to get up on the roof to fix it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Channel 15-1 is back! I'm not certain why. It actually came back yesterday afternoon, but I wanted to make sure that it was working a solid 24 hours before posting.
It's 5 or 6 bars out of 10 on our TV signal meter, which is lower than other stations on the same tower, but it's consistent.

Now I'm not saying my email to YES -TV definitely accomplished anything (They did not reply to my email.) but it's a weird coincidence that I requested that a technician check the broadcast equipment in Manotick and the very next day I was receiving a stronger signal...

·
Registered
212 Posts
I just posted in the network status board that CHCH is still missing (was missing earlier this week) and I'll ask the same question I finished my other post with: did they move from RF22 or what?

(Reassuring it's not just me.)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are VHF elements parasitic when receiving UHF signals? I'm wondering, because there aren't any English-language digital transmitters on any real VHF channels around Ottawa, are there? I'm wondering if it's worthwhile investing in some of these UHF-only indoor antennas I'm finding.
I'm also wondering if these "amplified", "booster" and whatever else keywords are just synonyms for "pre-amp".

·
Registered
212 Posts
CHCH update for Ottawa:

DHCA User "Subaru" posted in the network operational status forum that CHCH did post an update on twitter about the situation in Ottawa:

This was posted last week. It seems the cause is the "blazing hot summer".
But they promise they'll be back "next week"... Hasn't happened yet (monday 21:50).

...Maybe they should hit Rona or Home Hardware and buy a new A/C?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Update tuesday 19:42 -- CHCH is still down in Ottawa. I just sent them a message through their feedback page on their website, hoping to get an ETR. We'll see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Yes it’s not good to shutdown for so long. I’m also not sure I buy this too much heat reason. This is Ottawa. It’s always this temperature in summers. crazy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The response was very short, so I'll quote it here:
"Sorry for the technical difficulties, the OTA transmitter went down last week and we expect to have it up by tomorrow!
Thank you for your patience."

I don't really buy the "blazing hot" premise either. There's many other transmitters housed at HC that have been unaffected I was tempted to take a run up there, as it's only a few minutes from chez moi..

Update: CHCH is still missing as of 0845. Getting WKTV-ME after a channel scan...
2nd update: CHCH was operational when I checked at 2005...

2321 - 2340 of 2353 Posts