Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2261 - 2280 of 2291 Posts

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
That you so much. Charettepa. I vaguely recall hearing about the cell phone frequencies and moving things around. That was years ago. I appreciate the heads up that this is happening May 1st. I’ll be on the lookout for it. I hope it doesn’t mess up any of the channels as I get all of these right now.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I am surprised by these channel allocations in Ottawa / Gatineau. They will likely interfere with Montreal stations: Global is on 15 and V is on 35. Also, PBS in Burlington VT is on channel 32. This will be a nightmare for those located between Ottawa / Gatineau and Montreal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for this info, my mother in law couldn't watch Blue Bloods! I showed her how to rescan. The signal is weak for me 15 is coming in all pixelated, 42 used to be fine, something else change?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Thanks for this info, my mother in law couldn't watch Blue Bloods! I showed her how to rescan. The signal is weak for me 15 is coming in all pixelated, 42 used to be fine, something else change?
The notice said that there migt be adjustments over the next 3 weeks, so try again.
that said, the difference between 42 and 15 is that on 42 CITS was on an adjacent channel to CHRO43/CTV2 on the same tower. Now CITS on ch 15 is on an adjacent channel to a much stronger Global on 14 from Camp Fortune. It's possible if you are close to Camp Fortune, with an obstructed view of the CITS tower at Herberts Corners, and an unobstructed view of Camp Fortune, you could suffer from adjacent channel interference that could manifest itself as adjacent channel interference.

Where is your m-i-l located? Does your mother-in-law use a pre-amp?

In any case, she should report any issues during the test period to the engineering team at CITS. There should be a crawl on the screen at some point indicating how to contact them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh sorry I was wasn't clear, my M-I-L has a small squarish rooftop antenna installed by Doug (Pinnacle Engineering), her channel 15 comes in fine after the change, as well as all available channels. No pre-amp. She is in a bungalow but higher elevation than us at J9H 4N1. I'm the one with the problem at my place. I have two Terk amplified 60 mile indoor, one in the attic faces (two story) Camp fortune and the other on the 1st floor facing south/south east to Herbert's corners I switch between them. We wood get 42 no problem from the first floor. Now we get a bit of 15 from the antenna facing Camp Fortune, go figure. The signal strength indicator on the tv shows 1000s of errors. Before we would get all channels except 13 from the south east antenna and all channels except 42 from the Camp Fortune facing antenna. I will wait a 3-4 weeks before I make any changes. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Oh sorry I was wasn't clear, my M-I-L has a small squarish rooftop antenna installed by Doug (Pinnacle Engineering), her channel 15 comes in fine after the change, as well as all available channels. No pre-amp. She is in a bungalow but higher elevation than us at J9H 4N1. I'm the one with the problem at my place. I have two Terk amplified 60 mile indoor, one in the attic faces (two story) Camp fortune and the other on the 1st floor facing south/south east to Herbert's corners I switch between them. We wood get 42 no problem from the first floor. Now we get a bit of 15 from the antenna facing Camp Fortune, go figure. The signal strength indicator on the tv shows 1000s of errors. Before we would get all channels except 13 from the south east antenna and all channels except 42 from the Camp Fortune facing antenna. I will wait a 3-4 weeks before I make any changes. Thanks.
Which Terk Antenna are you using? Is it the log periodic, or a flat one?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Indoor antenna might not do to well to get stations from HC
depending on where you are

In Orleans, channel 15 is coming in much stronger than it did on 42.
Also now that 42 is not there as an adjacent channel, 43 is stable and strong.

I'm worried about what will happen to 43 () when it moves to 35
as technically 35 is not the last channel is 500 but the first channel in 600
will this not get interference from the new 600mhz lte
as well as the adjacent french channel on 34 (TQS) which has very high transmission signal

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Indoor antenna might not do to well to get stations from HC
depending on where you are

In Orleans, channel 15 is coming in much stronger than it did on 42.
Also now that 42 is not there as an adjacent channel, 43 is stable and strong.

I'm worried about what will happen to 43 () when it moves to 35
as technically 35 is not the last channel is 500 but the first channel in 600
will this not get interference from the new 600mhz lte
as well as the adjacent french channel on 34 (TQS) which has very high transmission signal
Actually, channel 34 is lowest power TV signal from Camp Fortune.
Channel 35 is at least 12 MHz away from any new transmissions on old channel 38, where the new band starts. (Channel 37 has never been used, as it is reserved for Radio Astronomy)

The issue will be with trying to get WCFE Plattsburg/Lyon Mountain on its new position on channel 36.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thats very strange as all charts show that the last channel in the 500mhz range is 34
with all channels being centre frequency

35 @ 599 spans 596-602
36 @ 605 spans 602-608

I can see that Channel 37 is reserved for radio astronomy
Does that then mean that technically the 600mhz LTE frequency in use will only start at 614

43 was very hard to get and unstable when adjacent 42 was live
it now works great, with 42 gone
why would it not have the same issue with 34 when it moves to 35

·
Registered
11 Posts
So just by moving the antenna to the right a feet feet brings in channel 15 well. Rotating it or switching the elements from the horizontal plane to vertical made no difference. Unfortunately, this antennae needs a flat stable surface to rest on and must be up high in the room to work. Must be something solid obstructing the LOS signal. I had it on an old ikea light post in the SE corner, gets in the way anywhere else. Thinking of moving it outside, I can hide it somewhat from the weather under a covered porch. I don't want to invest in an outdoor model at this point as we are thinking of moving.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think it's about time I ask what channels I should be receiving in the Ottawa area (around Carp, actually). But I'd also like to ask what I should be using to get TV listings.

These are the channels I seem to be able to receive that aren't analogue or French:
  • 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, 16.4 (surprised to discover this only yesterday)
  • 18.1, 18.2, 18.3, 18.4
  • 28.1, 28.2 (sometimes, and they are only Fox/CBS, not this "Me-TV" I see in the listings)
  • 57.1, 57.2, 57.3 (hardly ever)
Is there anything missing? My TV isn't as good as I thought at picking up channels after a scan. It is able to receive up to real 69 but my antenna isn't supposed to be able to receive low VHF (but manages to receive a very garbled channel 2).

And then there's the issue of where to get listings. I've used https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap as well but I find this ontvtonight.com Android app the lesser of 2 evils. The funny thing about it is it gets a few things wrong, or so it seems:
  • It doesn't list 18.4
  • It says 28.2 this Me-TV jazz, but it's a CBS station.
  • Like 18.4 (which has been around for a couple of years) it still gives CTS as 43.1 and not 15.1.
  • It says that TVO has several more sub-channels:
    • 24.2 (WCNY Create)
    • 24.3 (WCNY Global Connect)
    • 24.4 (WCNY PBS Kids)

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I think it's about time I ask what channels I should be receiving in the Ottawa area (around Carp, actually). But I'd also like to ask what I should be using to get TV listings.

These are the channels I seem to be able to receive that aren't analogue or French:
  • 16.1, 16.2, 16.3, 16.4 (surprised to discover this only yesterday)
  • 18.1, 18.2, 18.3, 18.4
  • 28.1, 28.2 (sometimes, and they are only Fox/CBS, not this "Me-TV" I see in the listings)
  • 57.1, 57.2, 57.3 (hardly ever)
Is there anything missing? My TV isn't as good as I thought at picking up channels after a scan. It is able to receive up to real 69 but my antenna isn't supposed to be able to receive low VHF (but manages to receive a very garbled channel 2).

And then there's the issue of where to get listings. I've used https://tvlistings.zap2it.com/?aid=gapzap as well but I find this ontvtonight.com Android app the lesser of 2 evils. The funny thing about it is it gets a few things wrong, or so it seems:
  • It doesn't list 18.4
  • It says 28.2 this Me-TV jazz, but it's a CBS station.
  • Like 18.4 (which has been around for a couple of years) it still gives CTS as 43.1 and not 15.1.
  • It says that TVO has several more sub-channels:
    • 24.2 (WCNY Create)
    • 24.3 (WCNY Global Connect)
    • 24.4 (WCNY PBS Kids)
CITS only switched from 43.1 to 15.1 in the last week or 2.
Normally, channels don't change their logical channels, but it's not uncommon in Canada, since no one brands themselves with their former over-the-air analog channel anyway, since they don't really expect you to watch over-the-air.

The 28.1 and 28.2 you get are from Massena (on the old WNPI tower in South Colton), not Watertown. The listings are the same as for 7.1/7.2 Watertown.

The channel 24 listings you're seeing are from WCNY PBS Syracuse, not from TVO. TVO does not have subchannels.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Yes, I had meant 42 for Yes TV CITS.
Roger, any sign of WWNY-DT on channel 8 yet? They were supposed to switch today.
I have never been able to pick up WWNY-DT but can occasionally get WWNY-CD out of Massena on RF 18 (28.1 and 28.2).

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I live in Kanata and I can pick up channels 18-1, 18-2, 18-3, and 18-4 but usually only in the fall and only in the evening. Press weird about that. I haven’t tried to receive 28-1 but I’ll try this fall.

2261 - 2280 of 2291 Posts