Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2221 - 2240 of 2305 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ah right. Yes, absolutely, tuners at BB convert digital to analog. I am just looking for a tuner because my new TV does not have one. I don't need a DVR, I never record anything. I need a tuner capable of decoding ATSC digital broadcasts captured by my CM4228 and displaying them on my new TV which only has HDMI inputs. Any suggestions? I'll look into the Homeworx, and maybe I can get my hands on the DVR+. Sounds like it would fit the bill. I don't need a guide either (I assume you mean onscreen TV guide?), I only get about a dozen channels and generally watch only 3 (CTV, TVO, and CBC). So whichever unit can handle the signal with no other features necessary.

Thanks.
You'll find the Homeworx satisfies your needs. I installed one for a friend as a tuner for an HD projector. Unfortunately, it died after about a year, but the repacement has lasted longer, so far.

On the other hand, I've had a DVR + for over three years, and it's performed flawlessly. I'm very pleased with it. I guess you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Holy smokes. I put those into Amazon.ca. I can get a Homeworx tuner with HDMI out capable of 1080p for about 50 bucks. A Channel Master branded tuner goes for $650! The only reason I wanted to get a tuner was to avoid fighting with the kids when I wanted to watch CBC (sorry kids, the basement TV is the only one with a tuner, you have to go upstairs). But you have gotten me to the right place. Looks like a Homeworx or Proscan is the best bang for the buck. Tks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Received the Homeworx and got it all set up. Works like a charm. Get about 15 channels from my rooftop antenna in HD. Remote works just fine, quickly changes channel. Comes up with what is currently on screen, and what is coming up next in a box at the bottom for a few seconds. I never record anything, so won't be trying out the PVR functions, but happy with the purchase so far.

One thing of note; the Homeworx is incredibly cheap feeling. It weighs almost nothing. The box feels like thin cheap plastic, I was actually nervous handling it because it feels so flimsy. I was so surprised at the lack of weight that I had my son come over and hold it. I am sure there is a single green board inside, and that's it. I have it sitting on top of an Xbox360 (not on the vent), but I think I will move it to where it won't come in contact with anything else. Other than that, it does actually work and the picture is clear.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Channels Disappear Every Other Week

Hello,

Curious if other people are experiencing the following:

I'm in the Stittsville area and it seems every couple of weeks or so, I am losing stations coming from the Herbert's Corners transmitter. In some cases I have 100% signal but TV message says there is no transmission. Other cases there is no signal at all.

I don't think it is rain as it happens when there not been rain or snow for days. I did have water issues with the coax and balun but I think I have corrected it. When everything is working, I am getting 100% from Camp Fortune and 80 to 98% signal from Herbert's.

I am using a home made antenna basically like this:

It is aimed between the 2 transmitters. At a loss as to what the issue is.

Thanks for any help provided.

Greg

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Hello, Greg

The dimensions of your antenna are not optimum; they should be more like this:

Screwing the elements to wood will cause signal loss.

Those two directions are about 90 degrees apart; it is not easy to receive signals from both directions with one antenna.

I can't find a TVFool signal report for you. This report is for your estimated location. I picked an address at random: 7 Orville St, Stittsville, ON
TV Fool

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks for the reply Rabbit73.

As I mentioned initially, the signal comes back as quick as it goes away. Yesterday all my channels came back from the suspect transmitter.

The picture was for reference only and mine is basically the same design as I used coat hangers for the elements so was limited in the length of them.

Never really thought about the wood being an issue but I suppose as humidity levels increase and decrease, the resistance will change.

This was more of an experiment to see what works and what I could pick up. I think once the warmer weather gets here I will buy a dual bay and point one bay to each of the transmitters. I'll also add a mast mount amp as the cable run the upstairs bedroom causes a lot of signal loss.

Thanks again,
Greg

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
Discovering OTA.

My wife and I have been contemplating going OTA for a while - when our two-year contract with Rogers expires at the end of the year, the plan is to ditch cable and home phone and stick with internet only - so yesterday I picked up a well-rated Clearstream Eclipse indoor antenna and today we tested it out on the main floor (family room), the second floor (guest room) and the basement (workout area).

Ideally we'd like to get Global, CTV and CityTV on all three floors. We had no trouble getting all three on the second floor. On the main floor, Global and CityTV were easy to get; CTV was finicky, but we figured out what we needed to do to get it. In the basement, Global wasn't an issue, but the other two were very finicky and essentially impractical. Given that the main and second floors are the priority, we're actually impressed with the results. :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Place the antenna in best location and use a distribution amp with Rogers cabling to reach the others.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
That's easy. If you need to have a TV in the room with the antenna, put a 2-way splitter on it, and connect the second leg to the Rogers drop to that room. In the basement, disconnet the drop to that room from the output of the Rrogers splitter, and put it on the input of the dirtribution amp.
Or put a preamp upstairs before the first splitter -- that should give you enough gain to drive 4 drops from the Rogers splitter.)

·
Registered
59 Posts
30-1 out for anyone? Just did a quick check after the wind storm just make sure everything was still working. Everything else is coming in strong even the ones I don’t always get (both PBSs and CBS/Fox).

·
Registered
116 Posts
CHCH 11.1 in 480i now?

Is anyone else seeing CHCH 11.1 in 480i all the time now in the Ottawa area, seems to have been like this for the last few days at least. I don't watch this channel a lot so not sure exactly when this started but hopefully it is fixed soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is anyone else seeing CHCH 11.1 in 480i all the time now in the Ottawa area, seems to have been like this for the last few days at least. I don't watch this channel a lot so not sure exactly when this started but hopefully it is fixed soon.
Confirming I'm also seeing this. I posted in the Toronto station thread and sounds like it's probably local to our transmitter. Started Monday around 10am, first a static image with audio, then the feed went 480i (which looks horrible, even worse than Global's SD feed)

See my post here for a bit more, I've rescanned a couple times today with no updates new substations.
https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/220-ota-station-network-operational-status/134969-ota-station-status-toronto-hamilton-94.html#post3074875

I have no idea who to contact (thinking to email CHCH directly) so it is a bit frustrating, there is good content on CHCH but I can't enjoy it right now :crying

·
Registered
218 Posts
the reason chch is in 480i is because of all there afternoon shows they show are only 480i they go back to 780i when the news is on and they are showing shows that are from 2017 and up

·
Registered
13 Posts
the reason chch is in 480i is because of all there afternoon shows they show are only 480i they go back to 780i when the news is on and they are showing shows that are from 2017 and up
CHCH has never been 780i (don't think that's a real broadcast or media resolution anyway?) for as long as I've had OTA. They've always broadcast at 1080i, regardless of content. I've never seen them switch between resolutions depending on content, they've just upscaled anything SD to 1080i.

This drop to 480i is new since Monday, probably they had some hardware failure. It also looks like it's just our local feed, CHCH-DT-1

·
Registered
829 Posts
CHCH has never been 780i (don't think that's a real broadcast or media resolution anyway?) for as long as I've had OTA. They've always broadcast at 1080i, regardless of content. I've never seen them switch between resolutions depending on content, they've just upscaled anything SD to 1080i.

This drop to 480i is new since Monday, probably they had some hardware failure. It also looks like it's just our local feed, CHCH-DT-1

Yep, and before that, the picture was frozen part of Saturday and all Sunday on an old Mickey Rooney movie while the audio was live.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It started on the 24th when it was just broadcasting the audio with a freeze frame of some old 1930's movie.. Came back on the 25th around noon, but it was 480i when it recovered... they mentioned via a tweet it was due to the wind storm at the time...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Almost a month later and still 480i on CHCH 11.1. Beginning to wonder if they ever plan on fixing this.

Just sent them a tweet to see if they have any ETA to return to HD.

2221 - 2240 of 2305 Posts