Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1367 Posts

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
You are probably seeing co channel interference via tropo from elsewhere on ch 44. Not likely to be caused by out of market adjacent channel.
Syracuse, Detroit, and Lima, OH all have a full power RF 44.

All 3 of the Rogers Media stations 40, 44, and 47 are effectively Low Power TV stations.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for all the great input guys.
I had some time yesterday to play around with this some more. There must have been some weird interference when I was originally trying to pick up CityTV over the weekend. I had completely different results yesterday. When aimed at the tower I picked up CITY and all the other channels coming from that direction. Messing around with the antenna I was briefly able to pick up both FOX and CITY for around 15min or so but that didn't last long. Especially once I split the feed to run to two TVs I completely lose either one or the other because of the splitter and additional signal loss.

My run from the antenna to the electrical panel is about 50ft and then I have another 50ft from there to each of the TVs, so around 100ft. Would I be better off getting an external pre-amp mounted on the antenna or just install something inside the home by the electrical panel?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I started with a pre-amp on the antenna, and it did help pull in a few distant channels for me. I also added a distribution amp and it helped with the channels that would lose signal a few seconds every 5-10 minutes.

I found the pre-amp does a better job in improving signal quality.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I ended up going with a Focus 4 bay that I found for 10 bux on kijiji. I get 24 channels pointed towards Toronto from Burlington. I plan on buying another 4 bay antenna today and point it towards buffalo and join the coaxial to see how many channels I get.

Im quite happy with the cheap antenna I have at the moment and am glad I didnt bother dropping 200 on the DB8E. Same technology, same design.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The Focus 8 bay has been working for me for almost 2 years now with no issues. Some people think it is junk, but it works great so far in my situation. I recommend them to others who want to try out OTA and want a cheap solution to get started.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To each their own. That's the thing with OTA, I've discovered from what I read. What works for you may not work for others, and vice versa. Aka YMMV.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yeah I think it will be my next little project when I have some time to get a pre-amp. I presume I would have to run another RG6 cable from the inside of my house out to the antenna, is that a correct assumption? One for power, and the other for the signal? Can anyone recommend a good pre-amp (by good I mean good price/performance ratio ;))

·
Registered
9 Posts
Actually, it's easier. The amp is powered by your existing coax. You add the amp at the masthead, and then inside the house you insert a little device into the coax line that plugs into the wall and provides power. It pushes power up the line, but does not let power go downstream to your tuner.

As far as what to use, I have the winegard ln200. Around 60 bucks on Amazon. Well reviewed and widely used in our area as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The "little device" is called a power inserter. Just make sure there are no splitters between the inserter and pre amp. Most splitters do not pass DC unless specified on the splitter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in south Burlington, ON near Lakeshore and am currently using this antenna, which I bought for pretty cheap a couple of years back (60 mile range): https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B007RH5GZI/ref=pe_386430_126088100_TE_item

Here is my TV Fool readout: TV Fool

With a rooftop mounting on my raised ranch I get most of the local Toronto and Hamilton stations pretty clearly (TVO is hit or miss) as well as a bunch of the Buffalo stations, but cannot get NBC (WGRZ) or Fox (WUTV). CBS Rochester (WROC) is also out of range. Any recommendations on an antenna upgrade, pre-amp or other solution to allow me to get good, solid signal from both the Canadian and US sources? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Clearstream is a decent enough antenna but Buffalo may be a touch too far. Assuming it's aimed at Toronto, maybe reverse that. Also, try it without the reflector screen. WROC is in a different direction and you probably need to add a long range Yagi pointed right at it to even get a sniff. All of Buffalo should be reachable from where you are but for me it was notoriously difficult to get them all tuned at the same time ... and then it changed again. Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Do you think a single CM-4228HD would do the job, or would I be better off using two antennas? How about the BEST-8HD?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I think you will need a rotor to rotate antenna with Toronto and Buffalo almost 90 degrees apart.Is your antenna aimed at Buffalo or something in between ?If you can see the lake from antenna position then WRGZ should come in if your aiming correctly.WUTV is changing frequency and transmitter by this summer.DB8e is likely the strongest antenna but is more directional thus rotator more likely needed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I point my antenna directy at Buffalo I get CBS and ABC fine, but cannot get WGRZ or WUTV at all. There is a line of trees in my LOS and likely some taller homes in the way but this doesn't prevent me from getting all the Toronto and Hamilton stations and most of the Buffalo stations. Any reason why NBC and Fox should be coming in so poorly when CBS and ABC signals are relatively strong? Would an amplifier potentially rectify the problem? I'd prefer not to got the rotator route if possible.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
WIVB/WNLO have strongest and closest signal WKBW has a higher tower than WGRZ.WUTV is currently adjacent to CHCH RF 15 to WUTV RF 14 and WUTV currently is directional away from North.WUTV signal wiil improve come August.You can try a mid gain preamp.RCA unit on is cheapest and performs well.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
mwa your WRGZ is showing 2 edge which means reception difficult.If you raise your antenna higher.Check with Tv fool as to what height is required to move up to 1 edge signal for WGRZ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, it might well be a height thing. I'm reluctant to invest in another antenna with the risk I won't get much more than I have now.
If Fox ends of working later this summer I can live without NBC, but I won't give up on WGRZ just yet!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Strange results but I'm not complaining!!

So we've had a SSH3 (Super Stealth Hawk 3) that I built about 5 years ago and it is still working like a champ. It was always pointed somewhere between Toronto & Buffalo. We'd always get most of the channels from Toronto and Buffalo (except spotty for WPXJ, WBBZ and sometimes pixelation for NBC) Depending on the season I'd get up on the roof and angle it 10 degrees more or less to compensate for leaves on trees.

Fast forward to this weekend. We were getting lousy reception on NBC and ABC again so I downloaded an app that finds local OTA stations and points you in the right direction using the compass...
The app told me to point my antenna North West.. and I know that there are no stations in that direction... but I pointed the antenna there anyway. And now we are getting everything from Toronto including EVERYTHING listed on this site from Western New York https://nocable.org/availability-report/zip/14218-buffalo-ny
Flawless reception with no pixelation.

I know we have a transmitter about 200-300 metres away but the antenna is now pointing just to the right of it.

Any ideas why this might be happening? We are pointing it in the absolute wrong direction and getting absolutely every channel flawlessly...... :surprise
I'm curious to hear theories....!

1341 - 1360 of 1367 Posts