Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1321 - 1340 of 1367 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
https://www.wintroniccomputers.com/1264-12941/antennas-free-to-air/antennas/best/best-8-bay-long-distance-fix-direction-80-mi-130-km-hdtv-uhf-vhf-antenna-best-8hd

BEST 8-Bay Long Distance Fix Direction

Range 80+ mi/130+ km
Digital Television (DTV) Compatible Yes
Analog Television Compatible Yes
Features
Receiving Elements 8 Bays (Bowties)
Adjustable Angles No
Frequency UHF / VHF
Baluns 1
Connector 75 Ohm Coaxial
Physical

And Yes I got the Pointed right

Getting The Following 19 Stations since Adding the 2nd Antenna

WIVB 4.1 Stong
CBLT 5.1 intermittent signal stong at Time weak others
WKBW and Sub Stations 7.1 to 7.4 Strong
WNED amd Subs Strong 17.1 to 17.3
WNLO and Subs STong 23.1 23.2
CBLT Strong 25.1
CHCJ CTVTWO 35.1 Good
CTS 36.1 Good
CIII 41.1 and 41.2 Good
43.1 Music good

Bought a 1byone High Gain Low Noise HDTV Antenna Amplifier Signal Booster for TV HDTV Antenna with USB Power Supply, Boost Any Non-amplified TV Antenna up to 15 Miles Range Gain 20dB Color Black

Hoping it will help

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Advertising hype is something else. An antenna cannot tell the difference between analog, digital or HD.

The amp will NOT help you receive stations that the antenna cannot see! The amp will however over come line and splitter loses.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a quick question around the DB4E vs. CM2448HD...

I'm new to the OTA game but have done quite a bit of reading. I know this may be an odd comparison since one is a 4-bay the other is 8-bay, but my situation is as follows: I live in Oakville around Third Line / Westoak Trails area and can buy a used CM2448HD in good condition for $50. Or I can buy a brand new DB4E for $100. I'm tempted to go with the CM2448HD for half the price. My main focus would be to receive local channels from Toronto but I need FOX from Buffalo as well. I was previously able to get both using a Clearstream 4V antenna (that I later returned because it was overpriced), so I know I can get FOX + the local Toronto channels with a single antenna from my location. The question is do I get the less expensive, used CM2448HD or do I just pick up a new DB4E? Since the CM2448HD is 8-bay I'm tempted to think it is the better antenna still. Thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I must be around the corner from you. West side of 3rd and springdale. The db4e may be enough, but to get both fox and nbc reliably from my attic, I need one half of my db8e pointed directly at nbc, plus a sidelobe of the other half. If I point both directly at nbc, I lost cfto. If I point one at the tower and one at Buffalo, I lose nbc, sometimes chch, and occasionally fox. I could deal withfoxes pass of cfto via a vhf add on, but want to avoid that. Depends I assume if you are attic or rooftop mount. And I want a decent signal because I want to split 3 ways, so I want a strong signal before I put it through a distribution amp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info! Ill be doing an outdoor side mount, ive got a pretty unobstructed view to the south. You think cm2448hd will pick up more than db4e?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm no expert, but from everything I read here, size matters. And it's a one-time cost vs ongoing cable, so I didn't mind the extra up front $$$$. . OTOH, a bigger antenna, outside, is a bigger wind load. Others with more expertise will weigh in.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello! New to the forum and just cut my cable! Feels good so far....lol. So i"m about to buy an antenna and might need some help selecting one . Im in Burlington near Appleby and Fairview and would like to get get an antenna that points to both Buffalo and Toronto. I spoke with Dr. Sat and he reccomended the Channel master 2016 cause of its VFH ability. Not sure if thats needed. Heres my TV fool link...
TV Fool
What do you all think? Is the channel master 2016 my best bet? Do I need the VHF ability it has or would the Antennas Direct DB8E be best because its multi facing ability? Thanks so much..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Yellow,
I'm fairly new here as well so I would definitely wait until someone more expert has a chance to reply before taking my word for it, but in our area if you're planning to install a single antenna I wouldn't go with a directional antenna. Instead it sounds like the DB4E and DB8E seem to be most common. I just bought a used CM-2448HD and as a quick test from my backyard fence I was able to pick up around 20 channels when aimed directly at buffalo (including picking up a bunch from Toronto). I'm located in Oakville. I believe with the CM2016 you wouldn't be able to pick up both Toronto and Buffalo (but perhaps someone that has installed one can better comment).

I do have one other question since I'll be mounting my antenna on either the roof or side of my house... does everyone ground their antennas? Started reading into purchasing ground block and grounding rod, etc. but can't seem to find a good post on what people do these days. I'm most likely going to be doing an outdoor side mount on the 2nd floor since I have a clear view to the southeast.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I grounded my antenna two ways:

-ran a copper wire (heavy gauge) from the antenna down to a grounding rod in the ground beside my house
-used a grounding block inside my house attached to my copper plumbing for the coax cable.

I also have my feed going through two surge protectors before it gets to my OTA box.

I may have over protected myself, but find the signal loss is very minimal with this setup and hope my TV won't die in a lightning strike.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I grounded my antenna two ways:

-ran a copper wire (heavy gauge) from the antenna down to a grounding rod in the ground beside my house
-used a grounding block inside my house attached to my copper plumbing for the coax cable.

I also have my feed going through two surge protectors before it gets to my OTA box.

I may have over protected myself, but find the signal loss is very minimal with this setup and hope my TV won't die in a lightning strike.
Did you bond (connect) the grounding rod to the ground of your domestic supply? If not, it's essential that you do that.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Yellow, I'm over in North Oakville, with an attic setup. I needed the DB8e, and very precise aiming for WGRZ. I'm using most of both bays to get WGRZ reliably. Your tvfool report is very similar to mine, except I get WIVB by LOS, whereas you're 1edge. I'm a little higher altitude, so that makes sense. I'll say it again; this is a one time purchase that pays for itself quickly, so why worry about an extra 50 bucks between a decent antenna and a very good one, if it means a stronger signal?

The db8e I have picks up cfto fine, and that's the only VHF we have to worry about around here.

I also thought about a roof mount, which would mean I could get away with a smaller antenna, but (a) wife factor, and (b) weather and wind and having to fix an outside antenna in mid January while the Superbowl is about to start, and I'm way to old for that s#%*, convinced me that a bigger antenna mounted in the attic made more sense. Also don't need to ground,easier to reorient,...

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Did you bond (connect) the grounding rod to the ground of your domestic supply? If not, it's essential that you do that.
No - the grounding rod was a 8' rod that I drove into the ground, not requiring connection to the water supply ground.

However, I get your point and didn't think of it when installing - if something happens to one end, best be tied to the other end to complete the loop. Easy project for me to complete on the weekend as the grounding rod and plumbing are only about 2' apart through the wall and I have all the materials on hand.

·
Registered
983 Posts
@swobopio

Can u please confirm your antenna model?

Regarding your 8-bay Channel Master antenna, is it a CM4228HD? I believe you have the #'s wrong.

As an installer, I can say that a very good comparable antenna to the CM4228HD is the BEST-8HD made by Focus. Its about half the price of Channel Master, and in my opinion, just as good.

There are two models; one is what I call a split antenna - it is hinged in the middle and allows one side of the antenna to be adjusted, so one side can point at Toronto, the 2nd side can point at Buffalo.
The 2nd model is a fixed 8-bay antenna that does not have the ability to point in two different direction.

Thank you, 46FD04

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry, I messed up the model. It is indeed the CM4228HD that I installed. With the 8-bay it sounds like it would have been better to go with the split antenna that can target two different directions as 46FD04 indicated. I got a decent deal for my CM4228HD at $50 with 50ft cat6. Installed it this weekend but I need to play with the positioning a bit more as I'm unable to pick up City TV at the moment even when pointing directly at the CN Tower. I had it working in a different spot but now that I mounted it on the side of the house I lost it for some reason. FOX comes in very well when pointing at Buffalo but my goal was to get both FOX and City as my main two channels hah... maybe I should have gotten the one that can point in two directions ;) But for now I need to hone in on being able to receive CityTV directly aiming at the CN Tower. I don't have a pre-amp, would that help at all?

·
Registered
9 Posts
You shouldn't need a preamp to pick up CITY. Heck, you should be able to pick up CITY with a coathanger. Is that the only channel you can't get off the tower?

You could have interference of some type. I had a similar issue getting CHCH. It and FOX are adjacent channels, and I could not get CHCH reliably until I put in a winegard preamp. That seemed to boost the signatures enough that my tuner can sort them out. But even that took very precise aiming, and prior to this I had to move the antenna about 6 feet to get FOX at all.

Suggestion: reaim the antenna a bit and try again. Maybe a weird reflection cancelling your signal?

·
Registered
208 Posts
two things about city tv is that they don't use the cn tower they use the bank of montreal building and have a weaker signal than most Toronto stations.second thing is when the weather gets just right and the Rochester stations make an appearance city tv signal seams to disappear like it did last weekend.you should find out what you will get all winter this weekend when the temp won't go about 10c as its mainly too cool for the Rochester channel interfearing.good luck and have fun

·
Registered
208 Posts
I know theres no Rochester on 44 but everytime the Rochester channels come in here in Hamilton I lose city tv cause 45 is so strong it affects 44.its just like channel 15 chch affects the 14 channel fox for a lot of Canadians.when an next to anougher channel is so strong it over powers the other channel signal.

1321 - 1340 of 1367 Posts