Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1301 - 1320 of 1367 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Antenna for this TVFool report?

What antenna would be suitable for this tvfool report?

Would a 4221HD pointed south-east do the trick? I think the stations to the south-west are repeats anyway.

Cost is a bit of a factor for this person.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What antenna would be suitable for this tvfool report?

Would a 4221HD pointed south-east do the trick? I think the stations to the south-west are repeats anyway.

Cost is a bit of a factor for this person.
Pretty similar to my report in Milton. I'm unobstructed towards Buffalo, and have a DB4E pointed at Grand Island mounted at 2nd floor height just under the eavestrough, and I've recently added a LNA-200 pre-amp to combat my long cable run.

A CM4221 would be slightly weaker in gain but probably pretty close to the DB4E. The location in Georgetown should be slightly worse since it's a longer distance, but again the TVFool looks pretty similar to mine.

For reference, my reception has been really good over the last month (since adding the pre-amp). My channel list:
100% solid with no dropouts:
- 2.x, 4.1, 5.1, 7.x, 9.1, 11.1, 17.x, 19.1, 23.x, 25.1, 35.1, 36.1, 40.1, 41.1, 47.1, 49.x, 57.1
Others:
- 29.x has been relatively stable (90%) throughout the summer, I expect it to improve to 100% solid when the weather starts to turn a bit colder again.
- 26.x pixelates at times and comes and goes (it is there around 50-60%), this may improve somewhat in the colder weather as well.
- 67.x is occasional (maybe 10%) but I have locked it in. Without a VHF addition, I don't expect an improvement.

I went with the DB4E and the preamp because locking in 29 and 49 (as well as some of the weaker TO signals) were important to me, and I was at a point where every couple dB could make a difference. For an extra $40 (DB4E > CM4221) it was worth it to me. It depends which channels are most important though - if they aren't worried about 29 or 49, then a CM4221 would probably be sufficient.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Already bought the 4221HD ($40 kijiji) & am headed up this weekend to install it. I'll let you know how I make out.

Very quiet in digital forums these days.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oakville Results

I have two CM-4221HD antennae, mounted on a single mast 30ft above ground above a chimmney in South East Oakville. The top antenna is pointing at Buffalo & blocked by trees, and the lower one at the CN Tower, which is missing a couple of wires due to a wind storm/tree incident. There is a couple of feet seperating them and the are put into a combiner at the mast.

From the mast, the cable run is about 100ft on RG6 where it terminates to the power injector to a focus pre-amp from angel electronics (main amp is mounted on the mast next to the antenna). It then goes into a 4x simple splitter (1 unused and terminated) to two sony bravia's and an XBOX ONE Digital Tuner. The final legs to the devices is only RG59, each about 20-40ft.

The XBOX has the best tuning with 36 channels
2.1/.2/.3*, 4.1, 5.1, 7.1/.2/.3, 9.1, 11.1, 17.1, 17.2, 19.1, 23.1, 23.2, 25.1, 26.1/.2/.3, 29.1/.2/.3, 35.1 CTV2*, 35.1 CBS (cloaked), 36.1, 40.1, 41.1, 41.2, 42.1, 47.1, 49.1/.2/.3/.4, 57.1, 27.1/.2*

I'm pretty happy with this. The channels are all very solid, except the * channels sometimes cut out (2.x is the most solid of those).

I would like to get 67.1 WBBZ-TV but with no luck. I'm pointing right at it, and TVFool 10.5NMdb, 78.6 miles with unfortunately a 2Edge Path. Have never been able to lock it in. It's the only channel in my TVFool report's red band that I'm unable to tune.

Any advice would be appreciated? Change my splitter to a powered distribution amp? Shorten the run? Replace the RG59 with RG6? Upgrade to a DB4E antennae? Better quality preamp?

Thanks

Barry

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its all about experimentation, but I would try one thing at a time.

For sure change that RG59 with RG6, but go bettr quality RG6 Quad Shield, saw it cheap at princess auto or Best Buy.I would go RG11 if you could afford it it might up the db and give more power to antenna.

Shorten the length if possible, I like the RNA200 amp your using.

Its all trial and error sometimes.Don't spend money when you might not need to.

Just my 2 cents...........good luck!!!

·
Registered
200 Posts
bgervin

In order to get WBBZ, you will need to add a VHF antenna to your array. The station' s virtual channel number is 67.X but its broadcasting frequency is VHF 7. Its transmission power is very low, so I would suggest the Stellar Labs Deep Fringe VHF HI antenna (By Stellar Labs (30-2476) MCM Part #30-2476). It sells fro 34.99 USD at MCM Electronics. They also sell a UHF/VHF combiner that you would insert before your 4221 combiner and the pre-amp. You would need 3 ft of clearance between UHF and VHF antennas on the same mast to avoid weakening your UHF signals.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Guys,

Milton here.

my tvfool report TV Fool

i was about to buy this and roof mount and try to find the sweet spot for toronto and buffalo https://angelelectronics.ca/shop/ota/outdoor-antennas/channel-master-cm-4228hd

I was stopped and told i should get this and aim half at toronto and half at buffalo https://angelelectronics.ca/shop/ota/outdoor-antennas/best-8hd-180d

Thoughts?

Hmmm now debating this https://angelelectronics.ca/shop/ota/outdoor-antennas/antennas-direct-db4e

Im thinking DB4E with jpole just under eves and good aiming and I have a better chance than the 4228

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
James, your angular separation is pretty close to mine and I have a db4e for both Toronto and Buffalo signals. Might take some tweaking to get the exact aim. Keep in mind your antenna will be at a sharp angle for the Hamilton stations if that's a concern (I needed a 2nd antenna for them).

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I got a DB4E and some 18 inch brackets and a 7 ft aluminum pole. This allowed me to wall mout at top of second story them come up past roof however im still not over every ones roof. I need a longer pole cant find one.

I also got a distribution amp so I can split.

I ended up aiming 100% south

I catch the following with strong signal

I also catch these however signal is low and pixilate the odd time

Im thinking if I raise the antenna a few feet this will fix. right now I point at a roof behind me and behind that is open field

Or maybe I need to play with aiming again.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Angel Electronics, Save and Replay and The Source all sell the Channelmaster 10 ft steel mast. That would only give you 3 more feet. With a wall mount installation you shouldn't go beyond 10 ft. The pixellation on 29-1 (rf14) could be caused by the strong signal of 11-1 (rf15)

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you go to any of the big box stores, check out the fencing section and look for what they call a "top rail" in the chain link fencing section. They come in 10 foot lengths and are available in galvanized, black and green. I believe the galvanized one has a little thicker wall thickness in the tubing. ( maybe by a couple thou). I know I didn't pay any more than about 20 bucks last time I replaced mine a couple of years back.
It's all I use. You can also find tubing in the electrical section used as electrical conduit. As I recall, those pieces were much more heavy and of course, more expensive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rr

I'm well aware that antenna performance is subject to many variables so I'm just seeking practical opinions.
I recently moved about 1km away from my previous home here in Milton,On. and left my Eaglestar 53-6165-1av panel antenna (w/ internal amplifier) mounted on the old house. I was 'okay' with it's performance although some of the weaker stations would drop out every now and then.
I'm wondering if the Channel Master CM4228 with a preamp would be a better choice than the Eaglestar antenna ?
Or, is there something better than either of those for gain and widest pattern ? The obvious goal is the most channels with optimal signal strength.

Thanks.
Hugh, VA3TO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Antenna suggestions please...

Hi

I am relatively new to this and looking forward to cutting the cord soon. I would really appreciate if can get some guidance to select a suitable antenna for my location. I am in Oakville (3rd line and upper middle)

My tvfool report TV Fool

Really do appreciate any help in this regard.
Many thanks

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Welcome, Oakville_HAM

You have channels in three different directions.

Which ones are important to you, Toronto, Hamilton, or Buffalo?

Where will your antenna be located?

·
Registered
607 Posts
@Oakville_HAM

Based on my real world experience a home built FF4 antenna will give you everything on your TVFool list down to WPXJ if aimed at Buffalo. You are in an ideal location for OTA in Ontario and once again based on my experience you don't need to aim at Toronto to get those Toronto/Hamilton stations, they will come in off the side lobes of your antenna. The only Buffalo station that may be problematic would be WUTV due to CHCH being your second strongest signal. (Rabbit73 is our resident expert re: adjacent channel interference and other reception issues).

An assembled FF4 costs about $20 to build, takes an hour and exceeds the specs/performance of MOST commercially available antennas. An FF4 antenna measures 48" high by ~30" wide.

I notice your TVFool report doesn't show a height, enter the height you plan on installing an antenna on, it can make a world of difference, the higher the better.

Here are the plans for that antenna:
UHF Free-Form 4-Bay + DblAnglRefl - OPT

If someone tries to tell you they've had "great results" with a digiwave product (aka electronic master) tell them to pound sand, these are cheap Chinese knockoffs of technically/commercially superior antennas that deliver middling results with very few cordcutters being satisfied by their bargain basement decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks to everyone that's posted. Hugely helpful.

Near Third line and Westoak Trails in Oakville Put a DB8e in the attic and am getting 31 channels. Pointed the 2 bays roughly at 55 true and 125 true. FOX 29 was the one that took a bit of pointing, and had to physically move the antenna about 6 feet to get a better 'view' past my neighbour's roof.

3 are a bit twitchy:

Rock solid at midday:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I adding 2nd antenna to my Current setup

The Current is facing 154 SSE attached to brickwork 20 Feet up (Landlord won't let me attach it roof )

NBC 2.1 and it subs 2.2 23 stations are intermittent at best
CBS 4.1 Works well but will fade evert once in a while
CHCH 11.1 is fine
15.4 Also comes in Strong but nothing on but test pattern
WNED 17.1 and it subs 17.2 173 are Very good
WNLO 23.1 Comes in great as well 23.2 Bounce TV
36.1 comes in well
43.10 Music comes in fine
49.1 mytv and subs stations are intermittent at best

will be adding 2nd Antena facing Toronto soon

any recommendation fixing the current Antena would help

Could also use help on recommendations for buy the 2nd one and installing