Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1367 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oakville- 8th Line & Gainsborough area- UPDATE

O.K I took everyones advice not to buy the Terk TV-55 so I was able to do some more research. I was lucky enough to borrow a Winegard SS-2000. I tried mounting it in different positions on my deck on the first floor and on the side of the building up to 8ft above the deck (not allowed on roof...too bad). I would like to report that this made a huge difference. This antenna now makes most of these channels watchable

Receiver: Samsung SIR-T151
Antenna: Winegard SS-2000 amplified

I now get the following:
2-1 Stable (7Bars)
4-1 Semi Stable (4-7Bars)
4-3
5-1 Stable even with 4Bars
7-1 Semi Stable (5-6Bars)
23-1 Stable (7Bars)
23-3
29-1 Stable (6Bars)
29-2
29-3

I was also told that I could 'borrow' a couple of other antennas to try. I would try the idea of mounting the channel master on my deck but I am trying to keep it asthetically pleasing for me and my neighbors. I think I might be sold on the Winegard. This has been an excellent choice for my application in which only one building blocks a clear view to the lake. My parents are on Marine Dr. in Oakville with a clear view to the lake. I will try it there tonight and report back.

·
Banned
529 Posts
Hijumper,

as a SS-2000 owner; if going with a directional antenna you will not find one with better results than the SS-2000.

I am receiving every channel that I should be receiving based on my location. I am even receiving some fringe channels that I should not be receiving as well as I do.

Crispy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Oakville- Marine Drive and Third Line

Antenna- Winegard ss-2000
Receiver- Zenith- model unknown

Well here is my report. For $#|+s and giggles I took my SS-2000 over to my dads house and plopped it on the ground with a 2L pop bottle to hold it upright. He has a direct view across the lake.

Results:

2-1
4-1
4-3
5-1
7-1
23-1
23-3
25-1
26-1
29-1
29-2
29-3
43-1
43-2
43-3

All Stable

Conclusion: Borrowed Winegard antenna can now be considered sold.

·
Registered
126 Posts
intrac said:
What about 53-1 and 66-1?
I'm also on Marine Drive and with my $40 Wade SL-4BT from Nutech in Hamilton I also get these:

I also get a bunch of NTSC stations too... TVO, Global, WB49, Omni 1&2, WNED.
Is that Square shooter too directional to get Buffalo & Toronto without a rotator?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ready123 said:
I'm also on Marine Drive and with my $40 Wade SL-4BT from Nutech in Hamilton I also get these:

I also get a bunch of NTSC stations too... TVO, Global, WB49, Omni 1&2, WNED.
Is that Square shooter too directional to get Buffalo & Toronto without a rotator?
You should also be getting 5.1, and 25.1.

The SL-4BT is a 4 bay version of the CM4228 but without the reflector, therefore less than half the gain.
From where you are, you should be able to get the Buffalo channels with this.

·
Registered
126 Posts
intrac said:
You should also be getting 5.1, and 25.1.
The SL-4BT is a 4 bay version of the CM4228 but without the reflector, therefore less than half the gain.
From where you are, you should be able to get the Buffalo channels with this.
I do as they were in hijumper's list.
You miss understood my post... I was saying I got his full list along with the three I mentioned.

My understanding is that the reflector is only useful to pickup signals from behind the antenna which is not needed with my forward line of sight situation (no need for rear reflection pickup).... is this not correct?

I'm not so sure that I agree with your implying that the 8 bay has twice the gain of the 4 bay..... see
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4228.html

Also see the following which suggests that my style of antenna is better than the Square shooter for the application of TO & Buffalo reception from the Oakville area.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/SquareShooter.html
vs
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/DB2.html

I chose the 4 bay over the 8 based on these pages:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4221.html

The breadth of the 4 bay pattern is certainly allowing me to get both TO & Buffalo stations without the need for a rotator.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Ready123 said:
I do as they were in hijumper's list.
You miss understood my post... I was saying I got his full list along with the three I mentioned.

My understanding is that the reflector is only useful to pickup signals from behind the antenna which is not needed with my forward line of sight situation (no need for rear reflection pickup).... is this not correct?

I'm not so sure that I agree with your implying that the 8 bay has twice the gain of the 4 bay..... see

Also see the following which suggests that my style of antenna is better than the Square shooter for the application of TO & Buffalo reception from the Oakville area.
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/SquareShooter.html
vs
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/DB2.html

I chose the 4 bay over the 8 based on these pages:
http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/cm4221.html

The breadth of the 4 bay pattern is certainly allowing me to get both TO & Buffalo stations without the need for a rotator.
1. The reflector improves the forward gain, and blocks the antenna from receiving signals from behind.

2. The 4-bay Wade 4BT-1483 has a gain from 8 to 10 dB. The SL-4BT has a slightly lower gain and their web site says it has a figure 8 gain pattern -- meaning front and rear reception. http://www.wade-antenna.com/UHFantennas.htm

3. The CM4228 has an average gain of about 12 dB.

4. The CM4228 doesn't need a rotor in the Toronto area. The beamwidth is sufficient to pick up Toronto & Buffalo.

·
Registered
126 Posts
intrac said:
4. The CM4228 doesn't need a rotor in the Toronto area. The beamwidth is sufficient to pick up Toronto & Buffalo.
The original poster was in Oakville... so the above Toronto situation may not be relevant as CN Tower & Buffalo will be more aligned than they are in Oakville, where they are around 80 degrees apart!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am in Burlington and can confirm that you need two antennas (I have two 4 bays), to get both Buffalo and TO. Since they are ~90 degrees different, I joined them with a reverse
splitter and get near maximum signal on all channels. Simpler than a rotor.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
gmarsden did you use a regular splitter in reverse that has a 3 to 3.5 db loss per side.

I have seen listed on a web site, but maybe they were lying on a site that they sell low loss .5db combiner from two inputs to one. :confused:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yaamon said:
gmarsden did you use a regular splitter in reverse that has a 3 to 3.5 db loss per side.

I have seen listed on a web site, but maybe they were lying on a site that they sell low loss .5db combiner from two inputs to one. :confused:
Combiners are low loss - splitters are high loss.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Oakville. 3rd Line and Uppermiddle area: Results any good?

I just got the 9200 and signed up for the HDTV package.

Was strolling in Walmart and saw a Phillips antenna......$25........ahhhhh....I'll try it.

I got at most 13 channels. Currently have 12

The percentages of all are around 70% and some higher.

004-01 WIVB
004-03 WNLO
005-01 CBLT
007-01 WKBW
023-01 WIVB
023-03 WNLO
029-01 WUTV
029-02 WUTV
029-03 WUTV
043-01 WNED
043-02 WNED
043-03 Think

The quality seems to be the same as on expressvu.

Does quality go up as percentage does? I assume since it is digital that it is either clear or not. Some pixulation usually means you are on the thin line.

Is that pretty good for the antenna I got? I just put it over the TV. Is there any reasons to keep it as it doesn't map into the Bell guide that well. Bell carries the channels as well.......they just may be different cities.

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
rotated the loop and got 002-01 but lost I think 007.

The signal on some channels are now approaching 80%

I hooked up 10dB amplifier.........can this help? When I play with the gain control on the antenna it doesn't really seem to make a difference until i go too low.

·
Registered
126 Posts
joedoe said:
rotated the loop and got 002-01 but lost I think 007.
The signal on some channels are now approaching 80%
I hooked up 10dB amplifier.........can this help? When I play with the gain control on the antenna it doesn't really seem to make a difference until i go too low.
Help us understand fully your problem... put your location in your profile.
Then we can see if you are wasting your time with an indoor antenna.
What happens when you lengthen the cable to place it out doors?

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I am in Oakville. 3rd Line and Uppermiddle area.

No problem really. Just thought I would play with a $25 antenna and am surprised I got so many channels.

As my first post states though.......with Bell offering the same channels is there a lot of value to spend much more on an antenna?

Granted.......if I buy a better antenna and put it outside I may get higher singal and possibly more channels but from what I read on what some people are getting I think I got quite a few channels.

Also can the VHF/UHF amplifier do anything for me?

Thanks

Joe

·
Registered
126 Posts
joedoe said:
I am in Oakville. 3rd Line and Uppermiddle area.
No problem really. Just thought I would play with a $25 antenna and am surprised I got so many channels.
I'm using a $40 antenna and get these channels perfectly:
http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=213371&postcount=70

As my first post states though.......with Bell offering the same channels is there a lot of value to spend much more on an antenna?
I can't comment on Bell PQ... but the OTA PQ is better than with my Cogeco cable feed and the sound does not have the drops I seem to suffer from thru' the digital sound output of my PVR. With my TV the difference is obvious, other setups may not be as visible and other people may not care. For me PQ is number one, why I bought the TV I did and why I paid to have it calibrated which gave me a further jump in quality which was impressive out of the box.... I was not unhappy with out of box setup, now looking back with the experience of a calibration I should have been unhappy! :D
gmarsden covers other advantages of going directly to the OTA HD source.

Granted.......if I buy a better antenna and put it outside I may get higher singal and possibly more channels but from what I read on what some people are getting I think I got quite a few channels.
Also can the VHF/UHF amplifier do anything for me.
I'm no expert but I think you would gain more by going to an outdoor antenna rather than using an amp. I think you may be just fighting the lower gain of that indoor antenna.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Good Point.

Simsubbing doesn't bother me since I don't watch commericials but badly timed ones would.

They must not be doing it all the time. I was checking yesterday and the signals from EVu didn't seem to be simsubbed. they had the ABC, NBC, CBS logos.

For $25 bucks.........I think it may be a keeper.

Joe

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
joedoe said:
Are the percentage high? Where did you get that $40 antenna? I am also thinking could it have anything to do with you being much higher than I am?
From what I can tell it is the CN tower stations I am missing which is the CDN content. No biggie.
I get 17 Digital stations... 5 from CN tower rest from Buffalo... I also get a bunch of NTSC one's too.

Mine is aimed between Buffalo & Toronto to get both sets as I have line of sight to them. You may need a rotator or two antennas to accomplish the same or just maybe an amplifier if you have obstructions between you and TO.
Yes, I'm above ground on the lake (probably why I can get away with one antenna aimed between TO & Buffalo as I have zero obstructions) but at Upper Middle rd you also have an increased elevation wrt source even at near ground level.
Can't help with percentages as I'm using my TV's tuner.... so I either get it clear or I don't.
From my prior posts link you can find the supplier in Hamilton, Nutech.

Your lower situation might well benefit from the one with a screen.

Have you tried to use a longer cable to get the antenna outside. That's what I initially did with a Radioshack indoor antenna and saw the additional benefit so I then purchased the $40 outdoor antenna at a $$ saving when I returned initial one as not suitable. ;)

PM me if you want to borrow my antenna for a test to see if it works for you... all you will need is a long length of cable to run it back to your TV.

21 - 40 of 1367 Posts