Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1921 - 1940 of 1948 Posts

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
They have no idea what the transmitter is actually doing for the end user.
They are in Barrie, ON so with CKVP and CHCJ being remote repeaters they have no way to see or hear what it is like on the receiver end, so real world viewer reports are their eyes and ears...

·
Registered
123 Posts
They can’t remotely monitor the transmitter? (I was also under the impression that CTV-BellMedia has a centralized Network master control, but that could well be incorrect. )

(I’ll have to look up CHCJ’s TX location...a different broadcaster entirely)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
They can’t remotely monitor the transmitter? (I was also under the impression that CTV-BellMedia has a centralized Network master control, but that could well be incorrect. )

(I’ll have to look up CHCJ’s TX location...a different broadcaster entirely)
Like I said they are in Barrie, ON. The transmitter in say Fonthill isn't covering Barrie, ON.
So how would they be monitoring what is received at someone's house in say Welland, ON?
An example of this was last summer prior to the switch from rf42. There was plenty of SNR,
but the picture was corrupted. They would have had no way to view the picture received at your house, even though the transmitter itself was transmittting (what they would be able to deduce remotely) just fine. If no one complained they'd likely never even know there was a problem. Further, it's not likely anyone that works there actually lives near Font Hill.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Like I said they are in Barrie, ON. The transmitter in say Fonthill isn't covering Barrie, ON.
So how would they be monitoring what is received at someone's house in say Welland, ON?
Sounds more like a system problem to me than a reception problem. I’d assume if they’re not getting feedback from their equipment, they would look into that

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Correct, there is no feedback. They will have web based user interfaces to login and look at remote equipment, etc.
But that isn't gonna allow them to actually view or hear what is received at the other end. ie the end user.
I know for a fact, in helping them troubleshoot a problem by email, 7 years ago or so they did not have any way to remotely monitor what is received.

·
Registered
123 Posts
An Easy cheap solution would be to have a webcam aimed at a tv in the equipment room to see if its working.
Then they might be able to see how difficult it is to obtain internet slightly off the beaten path in this country. That would be rich!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Correct, there is no feedback. They will have web based user interfaces to login and look at remote equipment, etc.
But that isn't gonna allow them to actually view or hear what is received at the other end. ie the end user.
I know for a fact, in helping them troubleshoot a problem by email, 7 years ago or so they did not have any way to remotely monitor what is received.
Then maybe whoever is monitoring in master control doesn’t know what they’re looking at. Or doesn’t know how to do that part of their job correctly. That’s worthy of a chat with engineering and ops...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
A tech did email back.

But he said try entering 29.1. But he just couldn't understand I have zero signal.
I even sent a pic of RF 29 with no signal. And I asked if he was sure it was working.

Can someone in The Falls confirm 42.1 is on.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
In Buffalo I see a hint of a signal on rf 29,but enough to lock it.
I do suspect it is CKVP however.
I haven't locked CKVP rf29 at all since Sep 6th...

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
WDTB was ordered by FCC letter to go off RF 29.They are now off air and waiting to construct their new RF 18 approved directional signal away from Canada.They were late turning off RF 29 and started the CKVP issue.

1921 - 1940 of 1948 Posts