Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1901 - 1920 of 1954 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Still 'no signal' on CKVP. Is it up and running?

This is not good because the signal on CHCJ seems reduced compared to CHCH.
This is what I'm getting for CKVP. No response to my email from Barrie Engineering. CKVP, CHCJ and CKVR are coming in at around the same levels.

Are you near the lake by any chance?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Since the only reason for CKVP and CHCJ is for simsub rights on cable.Someone needs to complain to CRTC about withdrawning those rights in Niagara area if CTV not going to fix their transmitters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm right on the lake, how did you guess that?

How would that be a problem?
I'm near the lake also and I can't get CKVP at all on RF 29. I wonder if something from across the lake is blocking CKVP's signal from reaching us. Isn't CHEX-TV-2 also on RF29 coming out of Oshawa? Maybe CHEX-TV-2 is canceling out CKVP's signal. Co-channel interference maybe? Just a thought I've had.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
CHEX Oshawa is less than 200 watts directional west.I believe CKVP was just left at a very low power setting.CHCJ is also only using the back up transmitter.CTV engineering dont respond to email.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
It can take some time to order, precure and sometimes install new broadcast equipment, assuming equipment replacement is the requirement here. Though the failure to communicate an update via directly to those inquiring or on their website is most frustrating.

·
Super Moderator
5,080 Posts
I hope we see these channels again. I had to purchase a better VHF antenna to receive CFPL London (CTV2, RF 10) to replace CHCJ. However, being able to receive both is better.
The Bell cell tower solution was CHCJ's only affordable option, after Channel Zero nixed their plans to share the CHCH tower.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Surprised you are having issues with CHCJ Jase88, comes in fine here averaging around 25dB, my height must give me the advantage. I also get rf21 WSEE Erie 24/7

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not too sure what's going on or if there's more to it but I guess for us who live below the Escarpment that we'll never see CKVP again considering it's been a couple of months now? 🤔

·
Registered
183 Posts
Must be a problem with the TX in Fonthill...
Last good lightning storm we had, I was driving along Merrittville Highway just north of the racetrack when a string lightning strike hit out that way... about the time it seems to have gone off air, as best I can recall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Must be a problem with the TX in Fonthill...
Last good lightning storm we had, I was driving along Merrittville Highway just north of the racetrack when a string lightning strike hit out that way... about the time it seems to have gone off air, as best I can recall

Hmm... I wonder if they know that it needs work done to it. 🤔

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hmm... I wonder if they know that it needs work done to it.
Yeah, they would know, but you should reach out to the engineering dept of CKVR anyway (CKVP is a repeater; CKVR is in charge of the infrastructure. Failing that, or it wouldnt hurt, to copy CTV and BellMedia’s engineering depts as well, and maybe Industry Canada and CRTC too). Remember that the FCC repack might also have something to do with it too, being ~12miles or so from Grand Island, where a good portion of Buffalo beams out of...but you probably already know that.

1901 - 1920 of 1954 Posts