Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1841 - 1860 of 1893 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
FWIW, I do a bit like Major Tom suggests and a bit like you want to do, so take this with a grain or two of salt. (And also FWIW, I did have a system with 2 HDHomeruns but I discovered that, for me, the tuners in them were not as good as the one in my TV so that once I started having issues with Windows Media Center I just sold them on eBay and bought a Channel Master 7500 (also on eBay)).

Anyway, I have the same issue with CHCH. My location is almost dead inline between TO and Buffalo so I have a 4 bay panel with no reflector pointing to Buffalo and I get all the channels from the CN tower and Grand Island. I pipe this into my CM7500 PVR and life is good except for an unwatchable CHCH. I added a small CM StealthTenna pointing towards Hamilton. With that I get CHCH and often the Fonthill repeaters and once in a while Kitchener. The CM7500 sends it's signal to the main HDMI input on the TV and the other antenna goes to the coax connector on the TV. When I want to watch CHCH I just use my TV remote to switch inputs. Easy Peasy.
What I have been finding in the last 18 months or so is that I hardly watch CHCH at all. ;) Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Yeah, there are many ways to skin a cat.
One could connect one antenna directly to the tv, and another to a cheap ATSC tuner/PVR device, like the homeworks HW150.
I bought one new for less than $30 shipped to my house.. Hardly every used it.
gave to my brother..
Then bought another one, HW-180, and still have that one.
These are cheap, but they do have HDMI output and produce a decent HD picture.
Kinda grew on me after a while..
One of these tuners is cheaper than a single 4 Bay antenna.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Rear reflector

Norm the rear reflector is the wire grid sections.They reflect signal onto the bowtie elements.If you remove from one half you may be able to get chch from rear of antenna but lose some gain in forward direction.A rotor is best option.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Today I was able to purchase a very slightly used DB8E at an INCERDIBLE price. So I am going to start some experimenting. I may take one panel and mount it by itself, similar to a DB4E.

I had one fellow, who is in the business suggest running the RG6 out of #1 DB8E then in to a combiner. The 2nd RG6 cable out of antenna #2 in to the combiner then the single feed to the tv.....Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Niagara Falls OTA

I've recently decided that OTA is the way to go for me for numerous reasons. I'm currently in an unsatisfactory setup that I need to make better in order to increase the WAF of my TV situation.

Here's the rundown: I live in Niagara Falls, Ontario. I have a CM-4221HD, chimney-mounted at approximately 35' AGL. I run approximately 20 of RG-6 to a good quality 1X2 splitter under the eaves. From there, I run approximately 40' of RG-6 to an upstairs tenant's apartment and approximately 60' of RG-6 to my TV on the main level.

The antenna is currently facing Toronto (more or less). I pick up the usual suspects there, CITY, CBC, TVO, Global...but not surprisingly, not CFTO at RF 9. Off the backside of the antenna, I'm picking up some Buffalo stations. What I find strange is that I get a pretty solid signal on WIVB at 154°, RF 39 and 38 miles, but nothing from WKBW at 155°, RF 38 and 38 miles.

OK, now the newbie questions...

1. Should I be using a pre-amp like the CM-7777HD and keep my splitter or maybe a distribution amplifier like the CM-3412?
2. Might I have better luck aiming the front of the antenna toward Buffalo (where the channels are geographically spread a little), and trying to pick up the CN tower off the back?
3. Do I have the wrong antenna entirely? The two signals I'm after are approximately 200° apart. Would a different antenna work better?

I have not yet modded my CM-4221HD (I only found this site today). I will be doing that this week, weather permitting.

The other problem I have is that my TV (a Vizio D65u-D2) does not have any kind of signal strength meter (at least none I can find).

I'd like to minimize my time on the roof. It's a little steeper than I'm comfortable with. If I set the antenna's back square with the heading for the CN Tower (348° magnetic), would you consider that a decent starting point?

Please forgive the shotgun approach and the many questions, but I'm sure there is an answer to my questions.

Thanks for reading my ramblings. Now back to reading.

TVFool Link

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your going to have problems getting both TO and Buffalo with that kind of degree spread. You could try a db8e and face four bays at the CN Tower (get a compass and make it exact based on your TV Fool) and the other four bays towards Buffalo. Still might be hard to get CFTO but worth a shot. You could look into a pre-amp if performance doesn't improve but a CM7777 might overload your more local Buffalo stations. Alternatively you could get a rotor but I think they're a pain. Especially if you have a separate tenant on the same antenna.

Play with it and try different things. Took me 3 years to get an option setup.

Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
200 Posts
Pit Critter

Remove the reflector (grid) from the back of the CM 4221. Without the reflector the antenna will work equally well for signals 180 degrees apart.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks ChinaDog. That will be my next step along with removing the plastic caps and moving the balun out. Can't hurt one way or another. Now, I need to have a look to see how to mount the unit with the reflector removed.

·
Registered
200 Posts
PitCritter

For CFTO 9 , you will undoubtedly need a VHF antenna for a stable signal. It is a weak signal that is more vulnerable to local electronic interference. I am only 25 miles further away in Buffalo and I can never depend on Channel 9 reception despite having the optimum gear. You could put up a Stellar Labs vhf hi antenna or a pair of rabbit ears open to about 18 inches per side. Then combine the your CM 4221 with your vhf antenna with UVSJ combiner.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For one channel, it's not worth the aggravation. I'll miss the CTV network news. I really like both Lisa Laflamme and Sandie Rinaldo. I'll get over it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On a related note... Is TVFool's database acting a little wonky? When I look up my location (Link in post 1844 above), there are some obvious omissions. I'm missing Fox (WUTV), ABC (WKBW), PBS (WNED). These are just the biggies. They are all easily available in my area. There are probably more. I've registered at TVFool, but I'm waiting for activation so I can make an error report.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thanks ChinaDog. That will be my next step along with removing the plastic caps and moving the balun out. Can't hurt one way or another. Now, I need to have a look to see how to mount the unit with the reflector removed.
The best mod that I did to the 4221HD was to replace the factory balun which has poor response to VHF. I also was having difficulty with CFTO 9. I used a balun like the ones in the picture and now 9 is strong and solid.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes the original isn't too bad for UHF what it was designed for. The replacement balun also outperformed the original at UHF as well.
By the way you can remove the plastic caps and flip the original balun but don't expect to go WOW re reception.

·
Registered
12 Posts
WOW would be great but I'll be happy with hmmm...

Is that an off-the-shelf matching transformer like I could find at Home Depot?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
You could try Home Depot and the Source.
I'm lucky here in Mississauga there's a number of electronic stores in the area which have them.

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Is TVFool's database acting a little wonky? When I look up my location (Link in post 1844 above), there are some obvious omissions. I'm missing Fox (WUTV), ABC (WKBW), PBS (WNED).
TVFool's new database, date code 201711011344, as shown on the report, is defective. There are MANY channels missing on MANY reports, as a result of UHF Repack changes.
I've registered at TVFool, but I'm waiting for activation so I can make an error report.
Their site has a shortage of staff. It is a long wait for approval to post. They have been informed about the missing channels, but nothing has been done.

The rules of this forum do not allow me to post an active link to that forum, but look for this thread title:
***Alert*** New database has serious issue ***
posted by ADTech in Help With Reception

Based on the coordinates for the center of your postal code, here is a report from rabbitears.info that shows the missing channels:

1841 - 1860 of 1893 Posts