Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1821 - 1840 of 1895 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Norm try with both panels pointed the same direction. Just the preamp and one tv for testing.Stations that are 2 edge tend not to be reliable.If you could go with a rotor but 5 tvs but 3 directions.The other option is 3 antennas 3 downleads and 3 way a/b switches.2 edge stations will be fine 1 day and gone the next.

·
Registered
13 Posts
New OTA Beamsville

As I read through the forums it appears that to have both panels straight will give me the best performance. I am going to try tilting the inside edges out slightly and do a check through my 220 degrees and see what difference that makes. So standing behind the antennae the outside would form a convex arc. This is going to give me an idea of how much the antennae will have to rotate. I would rather use a rotor rather than additional antennae. The only issue I can see with the rotor is once you finish watching in one room and go in to the other room, unless you think ahead and reset for the other stations you will be stuck with the previous steering. The additional downleads, antennae and a/b switches don't make sense to me for what little I would gain.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Norm try entering a higher antenna height in your tv fool and see what is required to get 1 edge or LOS for CHCH and Buffalo.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To get CHCH to 1 edge I have to go to a 40 foot antennae.....I am close to that now, give or take. To get to LOS on CHCH I stopped at 100 feet. I am pretty sure a section of the escarpment near Grimsby is in the way. As far as Buffalo, 100 feet and I am still at 2 edge.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
To get CHCH to 1 edge I have to go to a 40 foot antenna.
You should take a look at the 2 db8 installs on Mountain View near Green Lane.

One is on a tower on the east side just south of Green Lane. And the other
is north of Green Lane on a tri pod by the new power sub station.

Maybe they could share their results.

FYI - I use a db4 and I moved mine up 20 cm and my problem channel (WGRZ)
went from 19 dB to 27 dB.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Now that I have the Antenna on the roof, are my signals too strong and are blocking other signals in the same direction?
That is possible. If you click on pending in your report, you will see CBLT as your strongest signal.
CBLT -42.3 dBm = 6.7 dBmV
max input 7778 = 34 dBmV
6.7 dBmV + 12 dBd ant = 18.7 dBmV; preamp OK
CBLT -42.3 dBm + 12 dBd ant + 16 dB preamp + 8 dB 3414 = -6.3 dBm; tuner overload with multiple strong signals
Am I expecting too much of one antennae in a fixed position to cover approximately 220 degrees of various signals?
Yes, you are. For best results, the antenna should be aimed at the transmitter, which means that for best results you would need a rotator or three antennas.

The DB8e can be aimed in two different directions, but it doesn't always work, in spite of what the marketing department says; you just have to try it. The problem is, when the same signals arrive at the combining point, they will interfere with each other if they are not in phase (arrive at the same instant). It has the best chance of working if the two azimuths are 90 degrees apart, about like Hamilton and Toronto. If you don't get all the signals combined that you had when the antennas were separate, then combining doesn't work for your location.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
To get CHCH to 1 edge I have to go to a 40 foot antennae.....I am close to that now, give or take. To get to LOS on CHCH I stopped at 100 feet. I am pretty sure a section of the escarpment near Grimsby is in the way.
Yes, the escarpment is in the signal path, but CHCH is listed as a strong signal; you should be able to receive it unless the report is wrong.

I think you should try what rob50312 suggested to see if it is possible to receive CHCH:
Norm try with both panels pointed the same direction. Just the preamp and one tv for testing.
If you click on the CHCH callsign in your report, you can see the terrain profile between CHCH and your location, which is at the right end.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de6a43a5235deae%26t%3dALLTV%26n%3d8

·
Registered
13 Posts
Despredator.....I had a look at those set-ups on Greenlane and Mountainview. Those DB8's have one panel pointed towards Toronto, the other pointed towards Buffalo. I couldn't see any Pre Amps. No one around to talk to but I am going to go back. It will be interesting to see what channels they are getting.

I really don't want to go the three antennae route so, if I use a rotor, would it be an advantage to go to a DB4e? Would this narrow the signal reception and possibly reduce the chance of picking up two strong signals from different directions simultaneously? I intend to try it with the DB8E first. Right now I am going experiment by straightening the two panels and just rotating them and run the tv tuner at the different degrees listed for the various stations. I will also try to replicate the set ups I saw tonight. Only difference is they are much further back from the escarpment and there appears to be LOS to CHCH as this area is further north.

Rabbit....I have no problem receiving CHCH but when I spin the antennae to pick it up I lose too many stations towards Buffalo. Right now I have it set to get everything but CHCH, 11. Chanel's 2,4 and 7 are in and out. These were always good with the antennae lower behind the house.

I am going to get at this ASAP.

Thanks you guys for your help, it's much appreciated.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Norm,
In your original config you said it was db8 behind the house on the deck low to the ground, you were using a preamp. And you were somewhat happy with it..
with the new configuration on the roof, are you still trying to use the preamp?

If so, try removing the preamp from the system while the antenna is up on the roof.
Make note of results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have tried it, in both locations, on the roof and on the deck. It was worse on the deck, and on the roof, I can't say it made a difference, possibly worse also, without it but I'm not satisfied the antennae was pointed in the best location. I will be doing it again during my trials.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
I would rather use a rotor rather than additional antennae. The only issue I can see with the rotor is once you finish watching in one room and go in to the other room, unless you think ahead and reset for the other stations you will be stuck with the previous steering. The additional downleads, antennae and a/b switches don't make sense to me for what little I would gain.
It seems that you want the magic antenna that will give you good reception from three different directions; it doesn't exist.

If it did exist, CATV systems wouldn't need to spend thousands of dollars on multiple antennas, single channel amplifiers, and combiners.

You need to revise your expectations.

Reactions: BOUVAL

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
It seems that you want the magic antenna that will give you good reception from three different directions; it doesn't exist.
Actually at our location it might. My DB4e (north end on the lake) is facing WGRZ. I just scanned in 42 channels that are rock solid all year. From Toronto to Batavia, Grand Island, South Buffalo, Jamestown, Stoney Creek / Hamilton and over to Paris.

The only channel that is not regular is WBBZ on RF 7. But is does show up every night.

I am using a Winegard UHF pre amp, 4 way CM dist amp and the coax is split after the pre amp to feed 5 TVs and 2 DVRs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
"Actually at our location it might. My DB4e (north end on the lake) is facing WGRZ. I just scanned in 42 channels that are rock solid all year. From Toronto to Batavia, Grand Island, South Buffalo, Jamestown, Stoney Creek / Hamilton and over to Paris."

Where exactly are you located to pull in that many channels?

·
Registered
13 Posts
So after some messing around, twisting, changing and adjustment, here is where I am. I have 32 good channels, no pixilation....I am holding my breath to see what I have of these later tonight. Here is a list of channels:
2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 4.1, 5.1 ,7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 9.1, 17.1, 17.2, 17.3, 19.1, 23.1, 23.2, 25.1, 26.1, 26.2, 29.1, 29.2, 29.3, 40.1, 41.1, 42.1, 43.10, 47.1, 49.1, 49.2, 49.3, 49.4 57.1

What I did was eventually remove my CM-7778 Pre-Amp, As you can see in the photo the one panel is parallel with the frame of the antenna the other is at a slight angle. They are pointed in the general direction of Buffalo Fort Erie, approx 130 degrees. This is not the same configuration I saw about 2 miles north of me. As you can see, I do not get chanel 11 (Hamilton). If I spin this set-up in to the 115 degree area (not much) I can pick up Hamilton. Like I said before I then sacrifice the 2, 4 and 7 channels. I am surprised at what channels I am able to get without the Pre Amp.

Now, to the "Magic Antennae". I know my expectations are high, and the higher they go the more money its costing me :crying.....but with no Cogeco bill my system has alreaady paid for itself.:grin

So looking for opinions here...what would you (you all) think would be the best method to get channel 11, or anything else in that direction? Add a rotor? or Add another antennea? Do you think I could use say a DB2E facing Hamilton, and if so would I be taking a chance at messing up the other signals. (and I understand the problems with the signals not arriving together etc..)
If this was done could I use a 3 way splitter reversed and then get away with one coax line in to the house?

My feelling is, using a rotor is a bit more expensive and a little more effort to install but the results look to be more predictable.....and.......my costs will be reduced a bit when I sell my pre amp.:smile

I still have to do the ground wire on the antenna and put in a surge protector.(any suggestions?) You will see in the picture I still have to eliminate the one connection where the pre amp was connected.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Norm if you combine with another antenna it will be exactly the same as pointing each half of your DB8 in a different directions.You automatically lose 3db or half of signal strength.How hard is it to remove the rear reflector and make one panel Omni directional.Best performance will be with a rotor or 2 downleads to tvs.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
It's not for everyone, but another solution might be to run two separate 4 bay antennas feeding separate hdhomeruns, or other pc based ATSC tuners.
Then ya could use tvheadend, mythtv or some other PVR backend program with an STB running kodi to tune, play, record the multiple antennas in such a fashion that it would behave like you were only using one antenna when flipping channels... While keeping the two antennas completely isolated
from one another, they could each be optimised individually.

for instance the Toronto/Hamlilton signals connect to Tuner1,
The Buffalo Channels to Tuner2. Delete any toronto channels from the scan of Tuner2,
and delete any buffalo channels from the scan of Tuner1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rob....where exactly is the rear reflector? I am still leaning towards a rotor....but this is all to receive channel 11. Having a hard time justifying the cost and my time to do this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Major tom...This is a great idea...but....for me, above my level of expertise...or should I say lack there of. As I said before....all this for channel 11, I can't really justify it. I am a firm believer in the KISS theory, and I know if its not maintainable by myself it will be a problem for me. Right now the 32 channels I am receiving are coming in solid. I am going to give it some time to see if anything changes with the warmer weather approaching. I am sure, seeing my results without the Pre Amp My CM-7778 will be going up for sale.

·
Registered
218 Posts
if you use a channel master 8 bay instead you would get rf 7 all the time cause I receive that channel 97% of the time using that atenna and I live on Hamilton mountain at upper gage and mohawk

1821 - 1840 of 1895 Posts