Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 1893 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a problem with ordering online from a company such as Warren's for Canadians? Are you able to come over to the US and purchase the 4228 for less cost and take it over the border without problems? I remember reading in a thread where a Canadian fellow had relations here and had the antenna shipped to them. Is that allowable? I'd be interested to know!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
nflomax said:
a Canadian fellow had relations here and had the antenna shipped to them. Is that allowable? I'd be interested to know!
I think I was the fellow. I purchased the 4228 from Solid Signal and had it shipped to a niece south of Buffalo. The bulkiness of the package probably added to it's shipping costs.
Solid Signal and many other E-tailers won't ship such an item to Canada but "another fellow" here at DHC wrote about a store just south of the Queenston bridge who will act as a receiver for you and hold it for pickup.
I pretty well exhausted all the Niagara shops and nobody wants to handle the item. Why not send Yaamon a private message. He's up on that kind of request.

·
Registered
9 Posts
jbracing24, you ended by stating "Why not send Yaamon a private message. He's up on that kind of request." I was lost for a sec, then I thought maybe you were under the impression that I wanted to make a purchase. If so, read a couple of posts above. Actually, what I was going to suggest was that if it were perfectly legal, I could be the US address if a Canadian wanted to puchase a 4228 online. I absolutely don't want to get involved in anything illegal. But, if is all on the up and up, why not? Within reason of course!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
nflomax said:
"Why not send Yaamon a private message. He's up on that kind of request
I directed that comment to another poster from St Catharines. Since the 4228 is not available close by, that might be the best Canadian suggestion.

Legalities...legalities...I have found that using a US address works best for most e-tailers. If you use BorderFree (Canada Post) or courier, the handling fees do not make it worthwhile. Bringing it back over the border from a US address, it is up to the person to declare the item at customs. Usually, they are only after the taxes.
If I were you, I wouldn't offer what you are proposing. There are enough alternatives for those who want stuff, badly. Oddly, many people only want to circumvent what is legally required to their own benefit. Stay at arm's length.:eek:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Near Smithville, Ontario

Tuner: old air2pc r0.2 PC tuner, (supposely it gets bad reception)
Steel Rotator Antenna mounted to my roof

ok i finally bought a powered splitter for my antenna setup, which has boosted my reception when my rotator is in the proper direction. Before i was getting CBC at 9%, FOX at like 30%...etc all lower

NBC - 100%
CBS - 100%
ABC - 100%
UPN - 100%
SUNTV - 40% (hamilton)
FOX - 50-60%
PBS - 80-100%
CBC - 60-70% (toronto)

ctv, wb, citytv, src all repeatly lock-in and out, but never register a percent. I remember having CTV at 9% once (before the leaves grew, and with my crappy powerless splitter too)

now there are trees blocking my antenna from any clear view to Toronto/Hamilton, but i can get CBC at 70% ??? don't get it?

if this is true, WHY CAN'T GET I GET CTV!!!

im really frustrated with this, i don't get WB but their merging in the fall, so hopefully by then, the power will be up.

But CTV, and CITY would be great to get. Preamp, would this do it? I'm not sure because of the blocking trees, but this is frustrating.

if a preamp would fix this, could someone reccomend one, and where i can Buy in the Niagara/hamilton area somewhere.

thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think you should be able to get what you need at Nutech, they have places in Hamilton also St Catharines. If your getting CBC at 70% maybe you wont get CTV I do think the are lower power, trimming a few branches might help also :)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
026163 said:
if this is true, WHY CAN'T GET I GET CTV!!! im really frustrated with this, i don't get WB but their merging in the fall, so hopefully by then, the power will be up.
But CTV, and CITY would be great to get. Preamp, would this do it? I'm not sure because of the blocking trees, but this is frustrating.
If I understand from your previous posts, you are using an HD tuner card into a PC. That may explain the CTV delemma, since many have reported PSIP problems with PC tuner cards.
City is very directional (to the north) so it doesn't conflict with Buffalo. I would guess that is the reason for no signal from them. WB is off and on even on top of the escarpment in Thorold.
Quite frankly, with the numbers you are getting, a preamp might not help.

·
Registered
793 Posts
with these PSIP problems, would that just cause the signal to be hard to get, or would it completely remove it?

because I've had CTV locked in at 8% before on my PC, but obviously, thats not going to bring in a picture.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
026163 said:
im really frustrated with this, i don't get WB but their merging in the fall, so hopefully by then, the power will be up.
Just as an update, tonight June 15, I couldn't get a signal from WB either. And, don't get your hopes up because I hear their future signal will be very directional, to the south.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
026163 said:
with these PSIP problems, would that just cause the signal to be hard to get, or would it completely remove it?
As per some of the CFTO PSIP threads, the station must be adjusting the signal. Last night CFTO would only come in as 40-1 on my T451. It would not remap to 9-1.

·
Registered
26 Posts
jbracing24 said:
...I have found that using a US address works best for most e-tailers. If you use BorderFree (Canada Post) or courier, the handling fees do not make it worthwhile. Bringing it back over the border from a US address, it is up to the person to declare the item at customs.
Hi guys. This is my first time back in a while. Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in, just in case it can help somebody out. I ordered my Winegard through Warren Electronics and had it shipped to a Niagara Falls, NY address. I drove across the border, told them how much I spent (minus shipping) and they let me on my way. Totally legal, and it allowed me to get the antenna I wanted a much cheaper price (and less hassle).

There's a UPS Store on Military Road in NF NY. You can order the item from wherever in the US and have it shipped to The UPS Store's address (under your name) and they will call you when the item arrives. You pay a rate per day that it's held. $5 for small, $10 for large, or something like that. Just go to their website and you can get their contact information if interested. I've used them a couple of times now and found the experience fantastic. Even if you have to pay duty, just factor that into the cost to determine if it's worth it for you or not. Hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
793 Posts
CTV Analogue = Crystal Clear...Digital = Nothing

I really find it bad that I can recieve Toronto Analogue Stations so well...
CTV comes in absolutely perfect, and SRC, CITY also both come in well.

Then the digital channels....1.4 kW....2whatever Kw CTV's is like 17 kW

I live in Niagara, and ya there are trees between my antena and the CN tower...so why do all the anologue stations come in fine?

ridiculous, get your channels out there. When is City and CTV going to increase power.

Is Analogue still the priority? Is Digital still this absolute state of the art thing so broadcasters aren't making it the priority yet.

HD Broadcasting in Canada sucks

·
Registered
372 Posts
join the club

Atleast you get some Canadian dtv broadcast. Try living near Windsor, I hear we will get it after the next ice age. (LOL). Write the CRTC and let them know how you feel. Better to vent at people who can possibly do something about it. Here we can only agree with you. Yours may be the letter that finally breaks the camel's back ?

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
026163 said:
CTV's is like 17 kW

I live in Niagara, and ya there are trees between my antena and the CN tower...so why do all the anologue stations come in fine?
Are you checking 40 for CTV and 20 for CBC. I'm in St Catharines and 20, 24, 40 and 66 all come in perfect with my antenna facing Buffalo. If I turn my antenna towards the CN tower CBC and CTV are nearing at 100 %. I have friends near Lake Erie that receive CBC and CTV. As for CITY 53-1 it will not come in stable.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I can get CBC at 60%, but 40 only locks in for a second and then goes out again...etc

There's a big bush of trees right past my house, so I believe the signal is getting lost because of that. But that doesn't explain why the analogue signals come in perfect anyways.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Cfto;ctv

026163 CFTO analog signal being on a lower frequency and stronger power has a much better ability to penetrate thru leaves or buildings as while as reflect and fill in dead zones.All of the Toronto digitals are either low or mid powered and do not have the same range as their analogs.In the several years I would think you we will see them up their power.

·
Registered
793 Posts
New results in Smithville with preamp

I finally got to chance to go to Nutech in St. Catharines and I purchased a Magnavox M61112 Pre-amp.

My new results now, with the preamp.

Location: Middle of Niagara escarpement, near Smithville Ontario.
Old 60's steel rotator antenna on top of roof, with big bush of tall trees blocking Toronto path, but mostly clear path to Buffalo
DVB Viewer and air2pc Tuner card

NBC - 100%
CBS - 100%
ABC - 100%
FOX - 100%
PBS - 100%
UPN - 100%
TBN - 100%
SUN - 80% (hamilton)
CBC - 100%
SRC - 25%
CTV - 45%

CTV is finally coming in, though still no WB or CITY. I found the results weird, as now the stations come in in more antenna positions, but are really finicky. Ie you turn the rotator 10 degrees, and a station goes from 0% to 100%

I really this is as far as I'm going to get?

i mean should i really expect to bring in stations at a tiny 1Kw power from 40 miles away. I think City needs to amp up their power from their station...

and the WB is merging aren't they, so that tiny 0.5kW station should be replaced shouldn't it?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Check the threads in the Equipment & Vendors sub-forum about antennas and rotors so that this thread stays only on reception results discussions. Thanks. :)

141 - 160 of 1893 Posts