Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 1893 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
wbastien, I think your TV has been mis-set to look for Cable TV channels instead of regular TV channels. If you look at the channel numbers that everyone else is getting in your area you'll see that yours are very strange (70s, 80s, 90s) when they should be in their real channel range from 14 through 69.

Can you check that TV setting for us? If you find it, set it to TV and do a rescan of all the channels and let us know what your results are.

Also you can follow the link in this post to the READ THIS BEFORE thread to find out what remapping is, and then I don't have to type it all over again. ;)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
stampeder said:
wbastien, I think your TV has been mis-set to look for Cable TV channels instead of regular TV channels
Have you ever scanned for channels on a VCR and done it in the cable mode instead of the Antenna mode. Yes, you get channels but they are all over the place and numbered differently. When you use your TV ATSC tuner to scan for digital channels, make sure, in the menu, it isn't set to cable. Check back through this thread to see the proper digital channel designations we get in the Niagara area.

·
Registered
67 Posts
ok you were right, it was set to cable. i changed it to air and it is rescanning right now.

OK so when I reran the test, it found a ton of analog channels. how do I get rid of these? they are completely pointless IMO. I will watch the channels tonight and remap my findings.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
wbastien said:
OK so when I reran the test, it found a ton of analog channels. how do I get rid of these?
Do you have an integrated tuner, that is, one that combines analog and digital? Surely there is an add/remove command on the remote or in a menu so you can delete unwanted channels. Check the manual.
I have heard that if a set doesn't have an integrated tuner but separate NTSC/ATSC tuners, you can only program one or the other. That would be a bummer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Port Colborne with ZSS pointed to Buffalo

Ok here are my channels, and jbracing, i found out how to disable channels but sadly if I disable analog 7, i lose digital 7-1. oh well.

I'm in Port Colborne using a Zenith Silver Sensor pointed East

2-1 NBC WGRZ-HD
2-2 NBC Weather
4-1 CBS WIVB-HD
4-3 WNLO-SD
5-1 CBLT-D (signal strength varies, i usually don't get it.)
7-1 ABC WKBW-HD
7-2 WNGS-HD
23-1 CBS WIVB-HD (i have two cbs channels.. donno why)
23-3 WNLO-SD
26-1 TCT WNYB-DT (christian channel)
29-1 FOX WUTV-HD
29-2 FOX WUTV-SD
29-3 FOX WUTV-EN (blank)
43-1 PBS WNED-HD
43-2 PBS WNED-SD (usually kids programming)
43-3 WNED-TB ThinkBright

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
wbastien said:
Ok here are my channels,
Nice going. From your location Toronto stations are going to be difficult with your setup. Your lineup paralled mine when I was using an attic location for an antenna.
I found the following link invaluable in understanding what is available in the Buffalo/Toronto neighbourhood. It will explain some of your questions, like, why you can get two CBS etc. The secret is to learn all you can and DHC is a good place to start, but I have bookmarked the following link to keep myself updated.

http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/index.html

·
Registered
9 Posts
Niagara County USA, below the escarpment

I am in the 14131 zip code in Niagara county USA, below the escarpment. We were initially going to go with the combo 3671. Then I got further into research and saw there was a 3671B also. This local vender told me that the original 3671 (A) was an older model and 3571B was newer. Again I'm thinking he is not factual. Because we have such a hard time getting channels 7 and 2 out of Buffalo, I thought we'd go with the best reception possible-- that of a both a VHF (the Wade 307) and a UHF (the CM 4228) that I have seen discussed in this forum. I did find 2 USA venders to buy from for the Wade and also the CM. We were not going to purchase a preamp until after we checked out the reception first with just the antenna(s). Afterthought... another local vender said I'd lose any gain of having both antennas because we would have to split the wires, up to 8 dbs, unless we got a uhf/vhf switch- and how inconvenient that would be...and that the strong winds off the lake, even up to10 miles away would be too damaging to where the antennas would be attached. He has a CM3678 that he says is my best option. Am I making a poor choice by not going with the easier setup of the CM 3671B?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
nflomax, although you are very close to Canada I'm wondering if our readership are just a little cautious about advising you... not sure, but maybe that's what's going on.

Regarding OTA results and questions from the U.S.A. I always direct people to the 30+ years of experience of a fellow named Tigerbangs, who offers his knowledge and advice over at the Home Theater Spot:

http://www.hometheaterspot.com (look for The Antenna Spot forum)

Give him and the people there a try and also keep an eye on this forum in case someone wants to give their opinion.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
nflomax said:
I am in the 14131 zip code in Niagara county USA, below the escarpment.
Keep in mind what your ultimate goal is. If it is chiefly reception, the Wade 307 with CM4228 is the way to go, but in order to keep those nice and secure up above you'll need a stout mast or tower with probably a Ham Radio-grade rotor like a Yaesu or Hy-Gain to handle the wind load. I'm not as alarmist as the vendor you mentioned seems to be about the Lake Ontario winds, I'm talking about long term wear and tear on rotor bearings if the rotor is not right for the job at hand.

If your ultimate goal is less setup hassle, I'm not against a big combo antenna. You have several on the market that will do great so don't let someone pressure you into buying "theirs" if you don't want to. Given that you'll easily get the Buffalo and Toronto stations with a great combo antenna you could save yourself a lot of trouble with one. My go-to combo antenna is the Wade 936 (you could even go for the 937 if you want to try for Rochester and more Canadian stations) with the special UHF enhancer kit. I've got that unit and a couple of others listed in the Downloadable Antennas Chart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the move Stampeder. I realise that I am out of my element here, but I took a chance for an answer. I have not had luck with local venders. They have been less than honest with me, I don't know if it is because they are dealing with a female, or if they can't admit that they don't know. I could write a booklet with some of their (mis)information. Thanks too for the referral to Tigerbangs. I will go check it out...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just an update Stampeder. I ordered the Wade 307 yesterday. Ordering the 4228 today. I posted on the Antenna site in more detail (user name different). ...Still in progress!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, I am on the US side. I did the purchase online via Warren's. Couldn't beat the price. There is a fellow nearby in Lockport who does sell the 4228. He is the one who also sells on ebay that I read of on one of these threads. I talked to him the other day to ask if he had a Wade (no). I didn't even ask him about the 4228 because I saw his price online was listed higher and I am too shy to haggle! Hope you aren't too disappointed!

121 - 140 of 1893 Posts