Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 1893 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
So you are picking up a couple TO stations - maybe I will try mounting a second antenna pointed torwards TO and see what I get.

·
Registered
793 Posts
another question. a lot of you are reporting channels that come in on 2,4,5,9...etc

my CBC comes in as 20 but not 5. Is there a difference? Does this just depend on the tuner you have. I can't get CTV in on 9 at all, it comes in on 40, but really really low.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
026163 said:
my CBC comes in as 20 but not 5. Is there a difference? Does this just depend on the tuner you have. I can't get CTV in on 9 at all, it comes in on 40, but really really low.
Some tuners will reconfigure to the old numbers but not all. Are you getting SUNTV on 15 or 66? 15 is same signal as 66 but from a Hamilton repeater. Your pixilization is due to signal strength and you may need extra help to bring in the Toronto stations.

·
Registered
793 Posts
i am getting 15, which is from Hamilton.

CBC is the only station that comes in from Toronto.

You say 'need some extra help' to get these channels. What can i do to boost this signal. I don't think a new antenna is necessary, the one i have must be doing a fairly good job, i think its more i just have a weak tuner.

also, usually, our antenna signal goes to a splitter, and sent to 5 different locations around the house.

i disconnected the splitter, and sent the antenna signal straight to my computer, and this boosted all my signal strengths. CBC came up to 70%, and ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS, UPN all become 100%. It also boosted FOX to 60%

this also put CTV 40 at about 8%, whereas i never got it at all before. 24 would lock in for a second, and then fall out again.

The problem is, we still need our antenna for all the TVs in the house. Is there a way to SPLIT THE ANTENNA WITHOUT QUALITY LOSS?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Pre amp

026163 if ytou are feeding your antenna signal to 5 tv you definately need a preamp. By the way how long is your cable run from the antenna.

A preamp will definately improve your signal loss.

You can look at the cm 7777 is its a vhf and uhf preamp. Since you are still using vhf/uhf on most of your tv's.

Iam quite suprised that with a rotor you cannot get a stronger signal from cfto. What makes matter worse is that the computer pc cards does not map cfto chan 40-1 properly.

For my pc software I use watch HDTV as this gets cfto as remap chan 9, as the ati software for my ati card does not work. You can also remap any channel to what you want too.

Good luck.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
026163 said:
i've been using a big steel antenna on my roof with a rotator...
I agree with Yaamon that you should be getting better signal than you are. Some questions:
  1. Is the antenna very old or maybe weather-beaten? I suggest doing a visual inspection up there if it is safe, or with some binoculars from the ground as needed. Corrosion, bent or broken elements, loose connectors, etc. can really degrade signal.
  2. Is it possible to test for signal using just the closest TV to the antenna without the other ones connected? It might be that your signal is not strong enough to drive your internal gear, and requires a preamp as said before, or maybe a distribution amplifier inside. Testing on one TV would give a good idea of what's really coming in.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I am having a difficult time convincing my neighbour that my CM 4228 mounted on a 30 ft tower is not causing his Sympatico High Speed connection failures. Apparently Bell has been working to fix the problem for a few months and wanted to know if my "high powered" device was making havoc with the neighbourhood. "Can't believe it's just a regular UHF antenna...doesn't look like one!"
I couldn't suggest what the source of his problem would be, since my Sympatico DSL works like a charm. And, I'm sure not go to let him in to see the "stuff" at the other end of all those cables.
Good luck neighbour!!!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
jbracing24 said:
I am having a difficult time convincing my neighbour that my CM 4228 mounted on a 30 ft tower is not causing his Sympatico High Speed connection failures.
Oyyyy... reminds me that HAM radio enthusiasts have been putting up with those kinds of complaints for a very, very long time too. If someone has a cold, its the big antenna's fault.

Maybe your neighbour would like to sign up here at DHC and ask about whether there is any connection between his connection dropouts and your antenna. I'd like that. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Port Colborne questions

My HDTV has a built in HD ATSC tuner and I am going to get a Zenith ZHDTV1 UHF indoor antenna which receives HD. Will I be able to receive the HDTV OTA and will my TV display it?

Also, my TV has a built in DirecTV receiver, I dont know if that helps. Also where would I plug the coax cable from the antenna into? One of ports where I plug my digital cable into labelled Antenna or the satelite part of the directv tuner?

I'm thinking of getting a Zenith Silver Sensor antenna (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282). I am in Port Colborne, around 30km from Buffalo, 80km from Toronto.

What will my results be like? The channels I watch are FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, and sometimes CTV.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
wbastien from your location with the indoor antenna you should be able to get the Buffalo stations in HD that you are interested in.

You most likely will not get Ctv with the small indoor antenna.

You would take the Uhf antenna cable and put it in your hdtv digital antenna input and then scan for the new channels.

Good luck.

By the way what tv do you have, never seen a tv with a built in Directv sat receiver with HD. Is that new ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yaamon said:
You would take the Uhf antenna cable and put it in your hdtv digital antenna input and then scan for the new channels... ...By the way what tv do you have, never seen a tv with a built in Directv sat receiver with HD. Is that new ?
no its like 3-4 years old, kinda pointless in canada since we can't get directv. it's an RCA P61310 61" rear projection hdtv.

what do you mean plug the UHF antenna cable into the hdtv digital antenna? do you mean the TV?

do you know if the Zenith Silver Sensor comes with anything? like the cables to connect it to the tv?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
ok just read the links on the tv with built in directv.

wbastien if you buy the antenna it should come with a single coax cable.

Connect that to your tv input that says digital antenna in with the other end connected to the antenna.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I just looked up the specs on your RCA TV and it provides NTSC/ATSC tuning from both of the two antenna inputs but not the satellite input. That's what Yaamon meant.
  1. run the supplied coax lead from your Zenith Silver Sensor directly into either one of those two antenna inputs on the back of your TV
  2. forget about the satellite input
  3. point the antenna at Buffalo
  4. using your TV's tuner, start scanning for UHF channels
  5. post your results here

·
Registered
67 Posts
Port Colborne results

ok here are my results, btw for some reason I am receiving chanels 4 and 7.. which i thought was impossible because I have a UHF antenna.. nothing shows up anyways.

Using a Zenith Silver Sensor Antenna

Channel 65-3 FOX. (watched American Idol and House is next in HD. Beautiful!)
Channel 78-3 TCT (some christian chat network.. no idea.)
Channel 83-4 WIVB CBS (cuts out sometimes)
Channel 84-1 WGRZ NBC
Channel 89-3 ABC
Channel 90-4 CBS (this one doesnt cut out)
Channel 94-2 WNED PBS (beautiful picture on this network.)

101 - 120 of 1893 Posts