Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1041 - 1060 of 1893 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Robman50: The Sony XDR-F1HD is probably the best deal for HD radio more info here

My kids go to highschool near Fenwick (EL Crossley) and from the top floor you can see miles; the far shore of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario are both in view.

Thanks for all the great info everyone, looks like I will be up the tower doing some tuning this weekend.

Dan

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
HD Radio posts

Please read through the ton of HD Radio info in the threads linked by ota_canuck and danb and then post in those threads if you have any questions about it afterwards. :)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Up in the highest elevation part of Niagara around Fenwick would be a phenomenal place for OTA (Canada's best) with three top quality TV antennas at 50' ganged together, each peaked towards Toronto, Buffalo (likely with Hamilton from behind), and Erie, with a fourth one on a rotor for DX'ing! :D http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=8e4462205df14d
Not to pooh-pooh the great town of Fenwick as the hotbed of Canadian OTA, there is another town/area that might be a solid challenger by way of Essex County (Windsor) Ontario. The elevation might not be as high (approx. 720'), but County Road 18 north of Kingsville looks like it comes close to Fenwick when you consider the number of unique stations available. TV Fool Report:http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=c77ad417814dad

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I made a #289 Stealth Hawk for a friend living in [St. Anns] Bismark Ontario. He took it home and a week later he put it up on the old tower. He called me just frantically 'freakin out'. He said he cancelled his satelite provider immediately when he saw what he could get for free.

He gets it all. Toronto, Hamilton, Kitchener, Buffalo, Erie, Batavia. 51 digital + 15 analog :eek:

35ft tower at his barn, a 5ft mast with the Stealth Hawk on the top, perfect LOS with zero obstructions, cm7777, about a 210ft RG6 downlead to house and splitter to 3 TVs

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=c77ad1c5e0e6ff

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Ok so should I get the 8-bay cm4228hd and point it to Buffalo and then get the 4-bay cm4221hd and point it to Toronto?
If you live in Beamsville, there is a house on Mountainview (between Green Lane and the tracks) that has that setup. Before you spend $100's I would ask them if they are happy with that combination.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
robman50,

Just my 2cents!

Joining two antennas that are not identical using a reverse splitter/combiner can sometimes create problems that outweigh the benefit of the larger antenna's rating. I would recommend simply using a matched pair of 4221HDs rather than a 4228/4221`mix. If you really need the ganged 4228/4221, and don't want to risk any gain loss, then use two separate downleads and an a/b switch.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just a quick question for those that have tuned there setups to receive Toronto Channels. I noticed the other day (Conditions must have been right) that I was getting 25.1 French CBC. Has anybody else been able to lock onto this channel.

I'm using a CM4228 with a CM amp about 30' off my chimeny, hooked up to a Haupauge 2250. (Port Colborne).

·
Registered
228 Posts
I agree... I find Global and City harder to get than the other Toronto stations. CBC French is one of the ones I automatically delete! (along with 36)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Don't delete 25- sometimes it has Road Runner/Coyote cartoons- no French just the odd beep-beep! ;)

Back in the day, it use to show Hab games every Saturday night- until the greedy BDUs (see RDS) got their hands on it- where was the CRTC when that happened?

·
Banned
166 Posts
the stations i can get with a stripped rg-59 wire running along the ceiling (7 feet high) are; 23-1, 17-1 2 and 3, 29-1 and 2. i think thats pretty good for Buffalo.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
to get a rough idea, keep running ur tvfool at increasing receive antenna heights. Look to see how high it has to be until the stations ur looking to get are at least in the positive Noise Margins. Like at least somewhere between 6 and 10 NM I would think.

1041 - 1060 of 1893 Posts