Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1893 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
I wonder if it's the polar pattern that CFTO is using on the tower. It may be directed northwards with very little to the east, west, and south.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Beamsville, ON Results

Just wanted to give Dave some results from the area for comparison purposes. I've been lurking for a few months and have enjoyed the boards and have found them very informative.

I must direct everyone to that tacky OTA gear thread where Stampeder was poking some fun about Yaamon's stacking CM4228's solution and being able to pick up ALL of the Chicago stations.

http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35083

I now have a confession to make:

I made an impulse buy of the dreaded Terk 55 antenna after seeing what kind of reception a local satellite/HD Mom & Pop operation had in town (very impressive actually with a Holland STB). Fortunately for me, I only paid $30 US for it rather than this guy's $200 C$ asking price.

The Terk will be retired in the spring when I can feel my limbs on top of the roof (I may send it to our installer buddy in Hartford to take care of any burglars :). I have already made contact with Yaamon about the purchase of a CM4221 or 4228. I'd welcome comments on which one would be a better fit. In the meantime, it has been entertaining listening to my brother in law critique the appearance of it (it is mounted in an existing satellite mount --- 2/2 jammed in and the Terk on top). I've had suggestions about hanging Xmas lights from it to accenuate the "Cross" 24 hours a day. It is facing North/East (my guess of where Grand Island is :)

I did make a much more informed buy of a Samgsung 451 which is rock solid.

Here are my results:

WGRZ - 2-1 NBC HD 1080i (do lose this station occasionally)
WGRZ - 2-2 NBC
WIVB - 4-1 CBS HD 1080i
WNLO - 4-3 UPN SD
WUTV - 29-1 FOX HD 720p
WUTV - 29-2 FOX SD
WUTV - 29-3 FOX SD
WNED - 43-1 PBS HD 1080i (periodically)
WNED - 43-2 PBS SD (periodically)
WNED - 43-3 PBS Bright SD (periodically)

I also get the following Toronto channels very well:
CBLT - 5-1 HD 1080i
CFTO - 9-1 HD 1080i
CBLFT - 25-1 HD 1080i
CITY - 53-1 HD 1080i
CKXT - 66-1 HD 1080i

This will do until the spring. I can take the heat from the neighbours until then :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
lipper67, I see why you are only getting the Buffalo channels intermittently and Toronto quite well, because you are pointing North and East.

From Beamsville, you really need to be more East, South-East.

·
Registered
3 Posts
intrac - probably more east than North

To be honest, it is probably more east than North (the Toronto stattions were more important to me on that sunny November day). I was turning it looking at the shoreline of Lake Ontario at the time mainly worried about staying on the roof. I thought my Terk 55 was omni-directional :) Also, there aren't any rotors out there that a chiselled 2 by 2 fits into (I'm considering this to be my "winter beater" solution). I did lose about 3 stations moving it down about 4 feet (for the neighbours benefit) which I thought was interesting.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I rechecked the signal strength on CITY 53-1 after reading the last post and I can now get that channel at 50-60%. (Waterford)

·
Registered
101 Posts
cfto from Port Colborne

davejcb...i live in port colborne about 10 miles from your location i use a toshiba 51 hx 93 intedrated set with a old delhi uhf ant with a radio shack pre amp and i just checked for you and my signal for cfto 9-1 was a 78 to 80 out a possible 100 with ant pointed due north, cbc 5-1 comes in at 94 out of 100...i also can recieve cbc 5-1 with my radio shack vhf-uhf with pre amp also pointed at buffalo but they do have the power dud, but my delhi uhf will not grab 5-1 all the time when facing buffalo as it is more directional...on good day i can recieve city 53-1 and iam very pleased with that on that old delhi uhf from the 70 s used to watch the baby blue movies when city was on ch.79.....

·
Registered
295 Posts
stampeder said:
...We've had posts from Port Colborne, Fonthill, Thorold, St. Kitts, so it will be good to see how Fort Erie results turn out.
I guess I will be the first. With a Wade 1483 mounted on a 20' mast on my deck (approx 4' off ground) I get the following:

I have the antenna pointed towards Buffalo (west), slightly angled south to grab WKBW. The only CDN station I seem to get is CHCH 11 analog. I get get a not so clear global 55 analog out of stevensville if I angle that way, but I lose to much of Buffalo.

Anything else I should be getting for my location - I seem to be getting everything on eastern half of NY on this map:

http://www.remotecentral.com/hdtv/bigmap.htm

·
Registered
295 Posts
Side note (bonus):

I still get channels 2-6, 23, 29 on my cable line. These channels remained after I discontinued my service several months back (I still have cable internet which may have something to do with it (filters?). All are redundant except 3, 4, 6 but....

The bonus is I now get global and CBC through CATV by connecting a spitter in reverse with the Antenna line :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
You will have problems getting Toronto. The antennas on the CN Tower are somewhat directional with a large lobe pointing towards the North.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I've spoken with a local member and it appears I would only be able to get a few channels at best from TO - 3 of which I am getting through cable now anyways so I am not going to bother. I quite happy with my selection - 19 channels, 4 of which are canadian. I get live with that for free :cool:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Non Directional Antenna in Fort Erie?

I don't want to get a rotor or mulitple antenna's.

I am located in Fort Erie, ON and most channels from buffalo I can get very easily over the air with rabbit ears

If possible I would like to get an antenna for the roof that I can use to pull in all of buffalo and toronto.

Any advice on an antenna that would do the trick for me?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
You could try a UFO antenna (referred to as "omnidirectional") like the Winegard MetroStar or Channel Master SmartTenna BUT they suffer from serious multipath interference and have low relative gain and range so Toronto would pretty well be a no go. What's wrong with a rotor and a proper antenna?

·
Registered
793 Posts
East of Smithville (Niagara) - old Rotor & Antenna on roof

i just purchased a HDTV tuner card for my PC that should be coming in the mail next week.

previously, i've been using a big steel antenna on my roof with a rotator, so i could direct it towards buffalo or toronto. (i live in the middle of the niagara pennisula on the escarpment)

how will this antenna work with my HDTV card? I've been getting decent reception with it on regular TV, CBC, CTV, ABC, CBS, WB, UPN, all come in crystal clear, and the other main networks not mint, but very watchable.

also, what kind of reception can you expect when comparing to what you get in Regular TV? is there a relation? ie if you get CTV crystal clear in regular tv, can you expect to get it the same in HD?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
You should be in great shape to receive most if not all of the HD channels.

I would say since you live some where in the Niagara area, not sure where that is when you say you are in the "Niagara pennisula on the escarpment" but you should be able to receive with your outdoor antenna and rotor most of not all the stations from Buffalo.

You might have problems with WB49 though, because of the very low power they transmit with.

From Toronto, City might be hard to receive as its supossed to be a weaker signal south of the Cn tower.

Good luck and enjoy.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Question for 026163: is your antenna a VHF, a UHF, or a combo of both? This will make a big difference in your results.

·
Registered
793 Posts
i believe its both. It had one coaxial cable coming down, plugged into the back of the TV, and brings in channels ranging from 2 - 55 clear.

its also supposed an FM antenna.

I am located a few kilometers east of Smithville in the Niagara Pennisula.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Good, that's a VHF/FM/UHF combo you've got, and with a rotor and assuming all the antenna's elements are still in place you should have a good selection of Buffalo digital signals along with lots of FM radio and analogue TV.

Anyone know if Toronto DTV will be okay there?

·
Registered
793 Posts
right now in general, i can get Toronto channels just as clear as Buffalo channels on a regular CRT TV. Does this mean i should be to to get all the Toronto Stations in HD as well?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
You might even be far enough north to get a glimpse of CITY-HD which is impossible further south. 5, 9, 15, 25, 66 are all within reach.

·
Registered
793 Posts
East of Smithville - first results

ok i now have my HDTV tuner running on my PC. im using a cheap 3 year old tuner card air2pc r0.2, which a bunch of TechniSat PVR sofware, and DVBviewer.

after hooking up my old rotator antenna, i can get

ABC
PBS
CBS
UPN
NBC
SUNTV
............these ones are all fine ranging from 60-100, crystal clear. great.

now CBC, and FOX both come in clear, but they stutter every 5 seconds. My connection percentage for them is only 30-40. Are these stutters the obvious sign of poor reception?

or should the video NOT be stutturing.

how can i boost my signal just a bit more to get rid of this stuttering. (preamp???)

also, i guess i won't be getting CTV, CITYTV? It would really be nice to get these two networks, they are the only ones im not getting.

thanks for your help in advance

81 - 100 of 1893 Posts