Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 1895 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Crispy said:
just either bury a few feet of the tower in the ground with a couple bags of cement or buy the triangle mounting plate and bury it.
The added benefit is that the lower you can go into the earth, the better the grounding protection against lightning strikes. Also if the tower is to be self-supporting (no guy wires) most of the literature I've seen talks about putting the base into a cubic yard (3x3x3 foot) pit for a 20 footer, with another cubic yard of concrete for every 20 feet of height, so that's pretty close to your suggestion. If you can rig guy wires to the mast instead, that will prevent having to dig such a big pit. When in doubt, ask the Nutech folks or check out a local HAM radio club to see what experiences those folks have with their heavy rigs.

I was looking at a 60 foot self supporting tower for my house amid the huge trees here and the literature called for AT LEAST 3 cubic yards of concrete, so I would have had to actually buy more than 60 feet of tower to include what needed to be below ground/concrete.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Update:
I have located an installer this morning who will provide the tower, mast and house brackets etc and install on Friday morning.
I purchased the CM4228 and the 9521A rotator with cable from Solid Signal online and had them shipped to a relative south of Buffalo. The shipping wasn't cheap (gas prices?) so, the parts cost me $195 CND including shipping, on my Visa.
The installer wants $450 plus tax, about what I expected. Crispy, thanks, but relax man, I won't ask for your help...this time!

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
jbracing24 said:
Update:
I have located an installer this morning who will provide the tower, mast and house brackets etc and install on Friday morning.
Any chance we could see some photos of the whole process?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
I will try Stampeder.
Now, a question about splitters and signal loss. I have read the threads from Yaamon about this subject. I did read your comments in "Can I split from a CM 4228?" in one of the threads.
My present attic antennas mostly feed analogue to three TV's, split 3 ways in the middle of the house and resplit for VCR's, run through satellite receivers and the whole bit. To compensate, I have a 20db line amp just before the first splitter, otherwise there is nothing on the TV's. So all these splitters eat up 3db each time? Plus the roof db loss...wow, wonder how I get a DT signal with all that going on.
With a dedicated tower for DT, I was wondering about running the line from the antenna to the middle of the house only, add a joiner to another cable to the HT room. That way, when I replace the TV upstairs with one with an ATSC tuner, I can add a splitter to feed it. Since that may be a while away, will a joiner add much signal loss? Should I keep it one run all the way? . Is the DT signal that sensitive?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
The tower is up. I only had time to lock in two stations on the rotator (chose opposite directions). CFTO-DT came in on 40-1 remapping to 9 and
WGRZ-DT remapping on 2. It is impossible to get both without moving the antenna.
The cables are strewn across the basement floor from the back office to the front HT room. They will have to be fished through the ceilings (mostly drop style). One questions I didn't get an answer to is: How critical to keep the cable in one piece, can I run to the centre of the house for future splitting to a future DT television upstairs and then complete the run to the HT room with a new cable?
I took pictures, using a friends digital camera but it may be a couple of days to offload them and post here.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Good to hear you are up and running. :)

If you can I would split the feed coming off the 4228 in one location.

Because you have a rotor you might be able to get away splitting the signal two way without a preamp by adjusting the antenna for max signal.

Personally if you think you are going to split 3+way you should install a pre amp like the 7775.

·
Registered
31 Posts
3 section tower in Thorold available to DHCers

I installed my 4228 last year. I am also from Thorold on Richmond St. Where you at, seems we have similar interests. Sorry I didn't see this post sooner because I helped my brother-in-law take down a 3 section tower in Thorold that you could have had. Anyone else in this area that needs one PM me: it's at my place free of charge. Can't wait for HD hockey.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yaamon said:
You are lucky that you can pull in WB.
Very nice!

If you can receive WNYO I bet you can pick up the Rochester full power stations. I know WXXI (16-1) and WUHF (28-1) are both full power and I think WHEC (58-1) is now at even higher power than PBS and FOX.

Also try some of the Erie, PA stations. 16,22,50,52,58.

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
South end of Niagara Falls

My results are long overdue. I would like to thank everyone here for the help and guidance they have provided (whether they realized it or not).

I've got a Samsung SIR-T451 receiver connected to a Winegard PR-4400. Being in a 2-storey home I wanted to avoid climbing onto the roof if possible, so the antenna is mounted in my attic and pointing toward Buffalo. I get the following stations at full strength:

2-1 WGRZ-HD
2-2 WGRZ weather
4-1 WIVB-HD
4-3 WNLO-SD
7-1 WKBW-HD
23-1 WIVB-HD
23-3 WLNO-SD
29-1 WUTV-HD
29-2 WUTV-SD
43-1 WNED-HD
43-2 WNED-SD
43-3 Think Bright -WNED

I would like to get WB 49 but if their signal is as weak as I understand I don't think that will happen from my attic.

Toronto stations are non-existent with my attic mount. My house is a semi/duplex...I'm on the south side, so Buffalo is direct. The concrete wall between my attic and the neighbour's attic is blocking my chance at a Toronto signal.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
CoconutJoe said:
I would like to get WB 49 but if their signal is as weak as I understand I don't think that will happen from my attic.
I'd be surprised if you didn't get it, given your proximity. Let us know! :)

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
stampeder said:
I'd be surprised if you didn't get it, given your proximity. Let us know! :)
I found that WB49 is just a "hair'sbreath" of a degree off the other Buffalo signals and the attic might be the bullet in the foot!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
jbracing24 said:
I found that WB49 is just a "hair'sbreath" of a degree off the other Buffalo signals and the attic might be the bullet in the foot!!
Ok, let me state that I don't currently get it. Not even by manually entering the channel. I haven't adjusted my antenna using a compass, though, so there's a chance the antenna could use some redirecting.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Could you not set the rotor, preamp, and antenna up while the antenna is down and then raise the tower with everything in place? I will be able to build my antenna on the ground within a few feet of where it will be anchored.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
That's how I've done it in the past, but it takes lots of folks to help you because the mast is terribly unstable with all that weight on the end until you have it almost vertical. For that reason its often better to put heavy stuff up top afterwards.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
armstrr said:
Could you not set the rotor, preamp, and antenna up while the antenna is down and then raise the tower with everything in place? I will be able to build my antenna on the ground within a few feet of where it will be anchored.
My installer made up the tower in the driveway as shown with the bottom mast and rotator attached. He also put the antenna on the upper mast and attached the cables while on the ground. The climb up the tower was to place the upper mast and antenna to the rotator and complete the wire fastening.

Stampeder, how about another DHC poll...How many birds have you seen sitting at one time on your CM 4228?

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
dsspredator question if you are 15 miles away you should get Wb no ??

Last night I was going to take another picture of Wb was showing a full hd program.

I was watching Monday night Nfl in my family room, and switched back and forth a few times the picture was 80% there, but the signal was pixelating often got 2 to 4 on the signal on the Samsung.

I was thinking if they could only boost power from 650w to atleast 3 to 5kw I would be able to receive it consistantly.

I really wonder what is Wb reason for transmitting on such low power while the analog feed comes in perfectly clear.

If the tower is not on Grand Island is the analog and digital signals being broadcasted from the same location south Buffalo ?

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Yaamon said:
dsspredator question if you are 15 miles away you should get Wb no?
Yaamon, I get WNYO 2 or 3 times a year. I get all buffalo and toronto channels but no WNYO. I'm always amazed when you guys pick it up in TO. And I've seen all your screen shots. I'll try moving the antenna a bit more to the south and see if I get it tonight.

If you can still get 34-1 today then it is not tropo and they did move their transmitter.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Yes 34-1 & 34-2 WB49 the signal is there much more frequent than before.

I wil check when I get home this evening and post back here.

I sent the engineer at WB49 a email asking him a few questions like where is their current hd signals being broadcasted from and why are they only at 650w and when in the future can we expect a little more power. :)

Hopefully he will respond.

dsspredator where is your antenna mounted on your roof with a clear view towards Grand Island and Buffalo.

I think the elevation in certain area in the GTA might be higher than where you are ?

I know where my parents is because of there higher elevation/location they can pull in on their Sony 42A10 Nbc at 95% signal and the rest of Buffalo 98% with a 4221 with no preamp. Then there are trees around the back yard that's higher than the antenna, so it does not even have a clear view south.

I was there on Sunday and tried to tune in Wb through the menu but got nothing.

41 - 60 of 1895 Posts