Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1899 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Ready123 said:
Where would he go to get that free signal analysis?
I'd check with the stores in the OTA equipment thread to see who does installations using a proper signal analyzer. I'd even phone satellite installers to find out if they've done OTA gear.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
jbracing24 said:
The antenna I have looks like 3 or 4 bowties about 12" wide and the antenna is about 3 to 4 feet long, mounted on a pole vertically. I only need clearance of a foot or so between the trusses. Height could be the problem, unless I go nearer the center of the roof.
Hey I just thought of a great idea: you could extend the pole downwards through the ceiling so that it protrudes into the house with a steering wheel on the end, then when you want to change channels you just turn your antenna... :D:D:D Anyway, I heard of a guy who arranged something like that with a rope and pulley up at his cabin. Never mind...
jbracing24 said:
Any good links to rotors or are they all the same?
I think you can find rotators on the Wade, Winegard, and Channel Master web sites. CM has a highly rated model with remote control of the STB. Yaesu is also a good heavy duty brand if you have more than one big antenna up there on the same mast (HAMS use Yaesu a lot) and I think Radio Shack U.S. sells a rotator too.

·
Banned
529 Posts
Welland: Square Shooter SS-2000 update

Well,

Finally got off my ass and up on my roof to tweak my Wingegard Square Shooter.

Here is my updated list as to what I can get. I only kept channels that were ghost free.

Take into account that the Square Shooter is a fixed antenna and very directional.

33-1 (2-1) NBC WGRZ 2

39-1 (4-1) CBS WIVB 4
39-2 (4-2)

20-1 (5-1) CBC CBLT 5

38-1 (7-1) ABC WKBW 7
38-2 (7-2)

9 CTV CFTO-SD
40-3 (9-1) CTV CFTO-HD

23-0 UPN-SD WNLO 23
32-1 (23-1) UPN-DT WNLO 23
32-2 (23-2)
32-2 (23-3)

14-1 (29-1) FOX WUTV 29
14-2 (29-2)
14-3 (29-3)

34-1 (49-1) WB WNYO 49
34-2 (49-2)

43-1 PBS-HD WNED 17
43-2 PBS-SD
43-3 THINK

49-0 WB-SD WNYO 49
55-0 GLOBAL-SD

Crispy

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
You can get these two I cant ? :confused:

49-0 WB-SD WNYO 49
55-0 GLOBAL-SD

You still get CFTO on 9 mine on 40-1.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yaamon said:
You can get these two I cant ? :confused:

49-0 WB-SD WNYO 49
55-0 GLOBAL-SD

You still get CFTO on 9 mine on 40-1.
He's in Welland -- you're in Markham. That's why. He's much closer to Buffalo and to Global channel 55.

Channel 9-1 is mapped automatically by my set. The PSIP info does this. What are you using as a tuner?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Global runs a low power ANALOG tx in Fort Erie on channel 55. I can pick it up in Mississauga if I point my antenna that way... but it's the same as 41 out of Toronto.

·
Banned
529 Posts
Hijumper,

as a SS-2000 owner; if going with a directional antenna you will not find one with better results than the SS-2000.

I am receiving every channel that I should be receiving based on my location. I am even receiving some fringe channels that I should not be receiving as well as I do.

Crispy

·
Registered
271 Posts
Ridgeway/Fort Erie questions

About to move to Ridgeway/Fort Erie about half a block from Lake Erie. I would imagine that Buffalo will not be a problem to pull in OTA. What do you guys think abou anything coming from Toronto.

Buffalo will be almost straight west of me while Toronto would be directly North. What antennae would you guys recommend? I would like to have it go into my attic.

·
Registered
257 Posts
HydrogenCyanide said:
About to move to Ridgeway/Fort Erie about half a block from Lake Erie. I would imagine that Buffalo will not be a problem to pull in OTA. What do you guys think abou anything coming from Toronto.

Buffalo will be almost straight west of me while Toronto would be directly North. What antennae would you guys recommend? I would like to have it go into my attic.
Your OTA from Buffalo will be good. Toronto may be a problem. You'll have to aim about 330 degrees. The antenna pattern from the CN Tower goes primarily in a wide lobe towards the North, so you may have difficulty getting the Toronto channels. I know a person in Lockport, N.Y. that uses a large parabolic on a tower to get Toronto.

You would need a good antenna and preferably not mounted in your attic.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
HydrogenCyanide said:
Have you checked the other Niagara results in this thread? We've had posts from Port Colborne, Fonthill, Thorold, St. Kitts, so it will be good to see how Fort Erie results turn out.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Antenna mast installation in Thorold, ON

I have previously documented DT reception results from here using an attic antenna. Well, I'm about to embark on building an outdoor antenna system. I have recently purchased the Channel Master 4228 antenna and 9521A rotator kit from the US and now comes the job of selecting a competent installer.
I want him to put up a tower unit behind my bi-level semi (basement has full windows). The area is reasonably free of large trees, the closest being at the front of the house and at least three backyards away. Asthetically, I don't want a monster tower, but the goal is to get a steady signal from Toronto, CBC-DT & CFTO-DT which are tentative with a stationary attic antenna.
I would appreciate comments on tower installations, height suggestions ( I realize every location has its own requirements), and any other help so that when I approach an installer, I don't look too much like a dummy. Some of the links posted on this forum have already proved invaluable in understanding various problems, i.e. roof installs, tree problems, line of sight, antenna selection, etc. Thank you DHCer's.

·
Banned
529 Posts
jbracing24,

Goto Nutech electronics in St. Catharines on Nielson and buy a 30 foot tower. It comes in 3 sections and I beleive is $33 per section.

While there, ask him about installers. If all else fails install it yourself; no biggy really just either bury a few feet of the tower in the ground with a couple bags of cement or buy the triangle mounting plate and bury it.

Crispy

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Crispy you're not that far from Thorold.... maybe go help this guy out with the tower... sounds like you know what your doing :p

21 - 40 of 1899 Posts