Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

ON - Mississauga, Brampton, Bramalea, Port Credit - OTA

703K views 2K replies 421 participants last post by  orbot 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
OTA Results for the Mississauga, Brampton, Bramalea, Port Credit, and surrounding area. This is an open discussion forum, but keep your posts on topic.

#129 ·
As you said if your antenna is beside the window and pointing out your reception will be ok.

Aluminum will not pass though ota signals, and will tend to reflect back the signals. Concrete walls also does reduce signal reception greatly.

#130 ·
Hi guys. If I Install the ChannelMaster 4221 nearby the existing MiniState antenna in my attic (I'd put it on a different joist), would I be able to pick up the Buffalo channels like NBC or CBS and FOX? Currently the only one I'm picking up from that direction is PBS with about 50% strength. I cannot improve the cabling situation in my house so I'd have to live with the about 100' of combined RG59 and RG6. Would I need to install a separate preamp for the 4221 or would it be possible to somehow combine the signals from the two antennas and then use the existing amplifier (that's currently working with the MiniState antenna) to amplify the combined signal? Also, what's the best way to combine the signals from two antennas? I thought I saw something about the combiners in the FAQ but just checked and couldn't see any info... I know these are quite a bit questions, but I thought I'd find out what my chances are before taking a plunge and ordering the CM4221 antenna. I'd greattly appreciate any feedback you may have. Thanks in advance.

#131 ·
alander a 4221 should give you much better reception than what you are currently using.

I would not try and combine two different types of antenna's you will run into lots of trouble.

With your combination of rg6 and 59 and 100' I would use a antenna preamp. The Winegard AP4700 or Channel Master 7775 should work well.

#132 ·
alander,
2 different types of antennas don't mix easily as Yaamon stated. And combining like antennas you run into issues such as multi-path, which since you are placing the antenna in the attic is just going to compound the issue.
If you found you must have 2 antennas, which is very unlikely from what we've read about your set-up, the best option would be to use a A/B switch with 2 different RG6 runs for each antenna,... that is if you can't use a rotor with one antenna.
However, since you are stuck with the existing cabling, try the 4221 alone first, with pre-amp. Aim the 4221 at Buffalo and you should pick up the toronto stations on the side lobes.
If you look at DHC'er pnear's set-up (probably in this thread, he was in the west of Toronto as well if I recall), you will see he found a good spot in his attic by moving his antenna from location to location.

#133 ·
At my location, i am too far south to point at buffalo and pick up toronto on the side lobles. I combined a 4228 and a 4221 successfully, but it was a bit tricky.
It is very easy to combine 2 antennas of exactly the same kind. I'd recommend two 4221's for your attic aplication.

#135 ·
Hi guys, I just placed an order for the CM 4221. In the meantime I'd like to make sure I have all the stuff that's necessary for installation once it arrives (hopefully some time next week). Could you please tell me what diameter mast (a pipe or hollow tube) I should use with the U-bolts that are on this antenna? I will be installing it in my attic and from what I ready, I'm supposed to install it "up-side-down"… Is the tube required 1" or 1 1/4" diameter? I'd like to have it ready plus some kind of bracket to install the end of this "mast" as well. I'd appreciate any info. Thanks and take care.

#137 ·
Erin Mills/Eglinton

Live Erin Mills/Eglinton area in Mississauga, 6th floor facing south/southeast would an indoor Silver Sensor work here and approx how many HD channels would it pick up?

Have Expressvu for condo's but they dont offer HD yet and dont want to switch to HD cable if I can help it!

#139 ·
Live Erin Mills/Eglinton area in Mississauga, 6th floor facing south/southeast would an indoor Silver Sensor work here and approx how many HD channels would it pick up?

Have Expressvu for condo's but they dont offer HD yet and dont want to switch to HD cable if I can help it!

You've got an advantage being on the 6th floor, and you face the right direction. You may have to point one direction to pick up toronto stations and another for buffalo, but with an indoor antenna, thats easy.
Have a look at the Toronto indoor thread. A guy named Ants, just got his system up and posted results, from the 8th floor.

#143 · (Edited)
Kneedfree tv PBS on 43-1 and The CW on 23-1 are both fairly high powered signals out of Grand Island NY. Try to get your best signal from that direction and see if you can pick up WUTV FOX 29-1(14-1) or WNLO MyTV 34-1(49-1) both also in the same area.

There was a Hawaiian Tropic showcase in HD on SunTV over the weekend-around suppertime on Saturday. It was quite a program:eek:
Bikini Destinations is listed as airing 11:30 Saturday nights on their website...

Correct Yaamon,26-1 is TBN. Haven't spent much time with their programming yet but if SUNTV ever has a bikini marathon, it is good to know that help for recovery is available

#144 ·
electrocutioner, i'm using my other antenna, an omni-directional, and getting 4-1 (no sound though :( ), 5-1, 9-1, 23-1, 25-1, 43-1, 43-2, 43-3, 57-1, 66-1. 43-1 is about 40% - 45%, but PQ is good.

Cannot pull in 29-1 at all. Missed the season premiere of 24. Still missing 2-1, 7-1, 29-1, 49-1.

#147 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hwy 10 and Mayfield... Confused with antenna and channels received

I have 2 antennas, an omni and 4228.

channels received from omni... and since it's omni, that's all I'm going to receive
4-1
5-1
7-1 (if tuned properly, height wise or at night)
9-1
23-1
25-1
43-1... (approx. 45%, pq is good)
57-1
66-1

channels received from 4228
5-1
9-1
23-1
25-1
43-1 (approx. 30%, no picture)
57-1
66-1

Now my question is if omni can pick up 4-1, which is approx. 85 miles from me, why can't I pick-up grand island channels which is only 65 miles away? When I try to aim the 4228 towards 43-1/Grand Island, I can't pick it up at all. Is an amplifier or pre-amp required? Can I physically adjust the 4228, ie. move the mesh or probes, to tune to those freq?

#148 ·
The CM4228's parts need to be left as they are - don't bend or change anything!

A Channel Master 7777 or 7778 preamp will be fine for what you need.

You'll notice that I snipped out your mention of supposed "ranges" provided by antenna manufacturers. We do not pay any attention to those here at DHC because they rarely match reality. Have you downloaded the antenna chart?

#149 ·
I would think the 4228 should be better than your omni. Are you sure its working OK? and are you aiming it right? I thought i'd seen others from brampton getting better results.

I've heard that the 4228 sometimes comes damaged from shipping. The mesh on mine was bent, it was too close to the bowties, so i straightend it out before i ever hooked it up. Then when i got it up it was easy to see that some of the bowties weren't quite right and fixed that too.

Amplifiers are made to compensate for line loss, or distribution. You can't amplifiy a signal that's not there to begin with. All it does is make the strong signal too high and add noise to the low power ones.
I was quite disappointed with my results after adding the amp.

How long is your cable? I used RG-11 instead of 6, i think it helped a bit.

#150 ·
Stampeder, no I haven't downloaded the antenna chart. where can I download it? It does look like I'm gonna go that way.

I have another question or more info to think about. My LG has an atsc tuner built-in, the Sony doesn't. I connected the 4228 to the Sony it is picking up Fox 29 analog, it's not clear but I can understand what is going on and see the picture. I connect the same antenna to LG and nothing, not even analog. Cable run is 20' longer to the LG, from the Sony.

Tom F1, as far as I know, the 4228 should be better than the Omni. As for the result, I've seen some posting here in Brampton that are very good. Is the antenna working? I think so, after all, I am picking some channels. In analog mode in Sony, I'm getting 5, 9, 11, 17, 19, 23, 25, 29, 36(cts), 41, 47, 57, 69. The cable run is about 70' from distribution to the tv and about 75'-90' from antenna to distribution. It is pointed in the right direction, even used Google Earth and a compass to find exactly where to point the darn thing.

My other question is right now, the antenna is sitting on a 10' pole that is only about 2.5' above the eavestrough. Should I change it to 20' pole and have it above the roof line? I don't want to install it on the roof, "boss" is afraid of a leak in the roof.

#151 ·
Cable Length is the problem

kneedfreetv as you stated that from your antenna to distribution is 75'-90' and then another 70' to the tv.

What type of distribution booster are you currently using ?

Having close to 90' of cable from the antenna to the distribution is alot of cable and surely you are losing precious signal.

If you can I would add a preamp and remove that cable line if you have a indoor distribution and have the cable run directly to that tv.

Another thing is height you might have to go higher to get the Buffalo channels. At your current height is the view its pointing towards Buffalo clear or is it being blocked by other roof tops? How will you secure a total of 20'?

#152 ·
Kneedfreetv,
the antenna chart is here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37629
Your digital results may not match exactly your analog results. Even though a much lower power is needed for digital reception, Canadian stations are currently broadcast on much lower power than their analog counterparts. In GTA all are under 40Kw I believe vs U.S. stations that typically push out 100's of Kw and a few are even over 1000 Kw.
A higher pole will only help your reception. However, mounting a 20' pole so that it is stable might be tricky.

20' - does that need guy wires???

#153 ·
Ahh, the long cable run explains it. You need a preamp, better cable would help.

I don't know about a 20 ft pole, would have to be pretty solid and maybe guy wires, but Yes, definately get that thing up above the roof line.
And the treeline. Higher is always better.

(I have mounted wall mounts with 20 ft poles, but they were 2-1/2" pipe and the mount went through the brick with a plate inside the wall.)

#154 ·
As for the cable length, I've shortened it, instead of going to my "distribution area", I've cut where the cables all meet, ie. cables to bedrooms and antenna from the roof.

Yaamon, ain't really using any distribution booster. For sure now that I'm gonna have to go higher, but I've got one problem, not allowed to touch the roof. The view of Buffalo is somewhat blocked. Cable run has been cut and still not getting Grand Island, only choice is to go higher. I think I'm gonna have to go for a tower, since putting a 2.5"-20' pole attached to the side of the wall with guy wire to the roof is impossible/unacceptable, according to the "boss". If going higher still doesn't work going with pre-amp, before tower.

told the "boss" about the missing channels, her reply was "aren't you happy with what you are getting?" of course not, still a few more channels available that I can get without paying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.