Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

101 - 120 of 2373 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Signal Strength.....

Yaamon.... I am only guessing it's at 50% I am using the ATSC tuner that is built into my Samsung LCD LNS4041D and I don't know how many bars are used for scaling, I have a solid signal lock on the the same channels PVR4me has itemized. I have absolutely no drop outs on any of the Toronto or Buffalo stations,my built in tuner also has an option called LNA(low noise amplifier) which is ON.....with this LNA can I still use a preamp or line amp when I start adding more HDTV devices throughout the house ? Also is anyone receiving HDTV signals other than the Toronto and Buffalo stations from the GTA ?

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
CM7775 Didn't Help......

Mark,I tried the CM 7775 from you and it didn't help,I disabled the built in LNA and put the CM7775 inline and it didn't change the signal strength..... any other suggestions on what to do.....When the weather clears up a bit I will try another length of RG6 to see if this will improve things,but I think the condos are the problem !!!! I figure they are about 700 to 800 meters away and in the line of sight of where the CM4228 is pointing. How directional are these digital signals ? Are they like satellite ? Or do they bounce all over the place ? Anyone with suggestions besides sell the place and move :D :D The CM4228 is mounted on the chimney about 30' high........

Thanks
Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Antenna required for Mississauga Condo facing North??

Hello, I am new to this and am looking to see if I can find an alternative to Rogers. I living on the 7th floor of a 30 story building in Mississauga facing North. Is there a type of antenna I can put on my balcony that can get me HD channels?

If anybody can help that would be great.

Thanks
Matt

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
audiohead is right it will be very difficult if not impossible for you to get proper reception facing north.

The only way you will be able to receive anythign is if there is more condos close and north of you that will allow you to get reflected signals.

·
Registered
484 Posts
WIVB problems Dec. 10?

Anyone having problems with WIVB? I lost it (just noticed it yesterday, worked on Thursday) and no amount of antenna re-aiming brought it back. I'm hoping it was just atmospheric conditions. Still can't get WKBW at all, or CFTO.

Tom

·
Registered
793 Posts
whats your location rpr?

a lot of people forget that the South Buffalo stations, NBC, CBS, and ABC are a good 80-90 miles away from most areas in the GTA. When your this far away from the transmitters, they ARE going to disapear like that once in a while, unless you have a recently powerfull setup.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I'm in Brampton, calculated 93 miles from my house to the WIVB antenna. I have the exact bearing (144.8 degrees), using a CM4228 mounted on my garage, no major trees in the way. I have never been able to get ABC, CBS is always good, NBC was good until the weekend. FOX and PBS come in perfectly, as do CBC and CITY. I have also never been able to get CFTO. I am thinking of getting a pre-amp...

Tom

·
Registered
18 Posts
Maybe it's the height? My friend, who lives in Mississauga -- his entire neighbourhood seems to be obsessed with antenna towers. They all have towers probably higher than 40 feet, with huge antennas at the top, and my friend said his neighbours are able to get everything from Buffalo and Toronto. My friend lives right near Burhnamthorpe and Hurontario.

·
Registered
484 Posts
In the spring I will be putting up a tower, but with the nice weather, I might jump the gun... :)

Luckily I am getting the tower for free from my neighbour.

·
Registered
461 Posts
4228 with 6100 do I need an amp?

I am using a CM 4228 with my Bev 6100. I am useing a diplexer combo as I only have 1 Rg 6 wire running into the house and I need to combine both OTA and Sat signals. My antenna set up is mounted on top of a 10ft pole wich is then strapped to my deck. This setup places the 4228 about 14 ft above the ground. I can't mount the antenna any higher (as for resedential restrictions). I have the 4228 pointed SW and I get about 12 channels. My signals levels are in the low 50's and 60's. Is there a booster or pre-amp that I can use to increase my signal level/quality or improve my off air situation?

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Angelfish since you are using a duplixer to combine signals and sent power to the dish how will the preamp get its power since only the sat input passes power on a diplexer?If your receiving all the OTA signals without drop-outs then leave it alone.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ROCHESTER

A while back I picked up some Rochester digital channels from my antenna in Georgetown on my expressvu 9200; I have since not been able to get them back.

WROC-
WXXI-

Has anyone been able to get these? I usually keep my dish pointed south.

Also has anyone had any luck using the transmit numbers on their 9200 PVR? Everytime I adjust these the PVR reboots. The manual does't really explain how to use this effectively. Any insight would be helpful.

THanks

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
As far as I am aware the Rochester stations only come in when Tropo. Skip atmosheric conditions occur.Some people in east GTA have reported reliable Rochester reception.Rochester towers are only 450 feet so this provides less range than the Buffalo stations up to 1420 feet and on higher ground ,South towers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Meadowvale in Mississauga

Hi Guys,
This is my first post to this forum. I've tried Zenith Silver Sensor and can get maximum of 3 channels on the same setup however, the antenna has to be positioned pointing straight through my window in the living room, which is VERY undesired... I tried lifting it up or lowering it, but the signal plunges from about 60 down to 28-30. At this point I figure out the Silver Sensor doesn't work for me. I live in Meadowvale in Mississauga. I was able to pick up the PBS (43.1), CTV(9.1) and 23.1.

Does anyone have any ideas of some other antenna that would perhaps work better for me? I'm talking an indoor antenna. I have some antenna installed in the attic (by the previous house owner) but the cable outlet is in the basement and not the main floor. At some point I may think of pulling the cable to the living room and then get a CM 4221 but for now indoor is the only option. Also, if anyone would like to take the Zenith off my hands, please let me know (please PM me). Thanks for all the info and Happy Holidays to Everyone.

Jake

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi Jake, if the ZSS isn't doing the trick for you (no surprise in Mississauga) then you should not bother with any other indoor antennas anymore. You need to look at outdoor antennas in your area in order to get lots of stations. You can see the results all through this thread.

I wonder what kind of antenna is in your attic? Maybe you could post a photo if you get a chance. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Guys. I just took a brief look into the attic. Didn't have the camera available though, will do a better survey this upcoming weekend. The antenna tha's currently installed is I believe called a "dome" antenna. It basically looks like a white round "bowl" positioned horizontally. This antenna has also a controlled attached through a cable that sticks out from the attic opening, so I understand there's some kind of motor that you can rotate it with. I already managed to re-route the cables so that the cable fromt he attic ends up in my living room, but I assume that there will eb a huge signal loss (it's a very long cable run). Now the question is - would this antenna do the trick. Do these kinds of antennas catch the UHF band? Again, I will do some more experimenting this weekend (perhaps will try a small amplifier right after the antenna). If anyone has any idea as to what kind of antenna this might be, I'd appreciate any input. If this doesn't work, I might get the CM 4221. I understand a pre-amp would also be required. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards, Jake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Meadowvale update - Its a UFO

Hi guys. Just wanted to share with you my experience with the mysterious "Attic" antenna =) It turned out that the antenna installed in my attic is a MiniState 5MS9000. It has a built in motor and an amplifier. I estimated that after re-routing all the cables to reach from the attic, through the basement back to the living room (on the main floor) I have over 100ft of cable (mix between RG59 and RG6) going through the house. Well... eventually I hooked up my TV and started scanning the channels (I haven't even touched the motor for the antenna). After the scanning stopped I ended up with seven digital channel, amongst which are 5.1, 9.1, 23.1, 43.1, CityTV and SunTV (I missed one channel). The quality of these varies between 70% and about 92%. So it looks like my wife will be very happy to find out that this season of American Idol she'll be watching in HD on CTV, hehe. Anyways, I am really excited that basically without any effort I got these great (in my opinion) results. Now I feel like getting in touch with the previous owner of the house and getting him out for a beer or two =) So, this is my experience. The next step - putting Zenith Silver Sensor on Ebay. Thank you to everyone for all the great info I've found in this forum. Regards,

Jake

101 - 120 of 2373 Posts