Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 2373 Posts

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
40-4 that possible could be a sub channel from cfto.

That chan 40 is normally from cfto at 40-1 and psip to 9-1

·
Banned
160 Posts
Yes 40-4 is CTV. For some reason I do not get the digital channel 40-1 or 9-1 but I do get 40-4. I have HP PL4200N TV. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Also - any idea why i do not get sound on 2-1?

Quite honestly am surprised at how good signals are even when I am not using the CM4228. Now to get 2-1 and 4-1 working properly and I might say bye bye to Rogers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
at last - finished install of CM4221 - Brampton (410/Bovaird)

I just finished the permanent install of my CM4221, about 6 ft higher than my roof. :p No pre-amp, about 50 ft run of RG6. I am getting most u.s. & local channels w/ the exception of sun tv.
HD line-up: fox, nbc, cbs (on 4 & 23), abc, cbc 5, cbc 25 french, ctv, citytv, pbs (all 3) all with very high signals. :D
Also getting good quality signal for non-hd like global & other locals. ;)

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
tataynik great job and results, remember this past weekend was hot for dxing so you might have to repeak the antenna.

From your location I would tune and use as a reference Fox and Nbc with moving your antenna towards south east.

Great job.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Brampton - 410/Bovaird (North Brampton)

I've had my Channel Master 4228 temporarily mounted to a tripod in my backyard for about a month. Unbelievably it picked up almost everything despite being surrounded by fence and 35 feet of brick and mortar. Understandably it was prone to dropouts and other anomalies. But the results were promising and led me to mount it on the roof. Now atop a modified 2' tripod I pick up most everything despite the fact I've yet to power up the rotator it's mounted to. We simply tested for strength using a meter and hand adjusted the direction. Here's the results (digital channels only) from 410/Bovaird:

2-1 [90%]
2-2 [90%]
4-1 [85%]
4-3 [85%]
5-1 [92%]
7-1 [80%]
7-2 [80%]
9-1 [80%]
23-1 [88%]
23-3 [88%]
25-1 [92%]
29-1 [92%]
29-2 [92%]
43-1 [88%]
43-2 [88%]
43-3 [88%]
57-1 [86%]
66-1 [82%]

18 Beautiful digital channels!!! (Removed was a test signal channel and Fox's non-functioning 3rd channel). For pics: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showpost.php?p=384861&postcount=138

·
Registered
316 Posts
Nice reception.

I'm familiar with the 29-3 channel you mention you removed, but what is the test signal channel you mention?

Global testing? Makes me wonder if I should go do a scan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
x4mer said:
Nice reception.

I'm familiar with the 29-3 channel you mention you removed, but what is the test signal channel you mention?

Global testing? Makes me wonder if I should go do a scan.

I've got to go through the channels one by one again. I didn't settle for the auto scan, instead I manually scanned each channel to see if it would even 'blink'. Sure enough there was a couple odd flashes of test patterns. I used a signal meter to determine what if anything was present on a certain channel, then tried to manually tune it on the TV. I'm not sure what the threshold is for 'auto' tuning channels, probably needs to be fairly strong to be successfully added.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi and congrats,

I wish I had the discetionary authority to put "that" or a similar antenna on the roof of our 16flr Lakshore blvd Condo.

I'd even pay for the antenna myself and offer a plugin to any Condo Owner who wanted it but somehow (even though I'm not technically savvy) I think its a bit more complicated than that and there might be very little left of the signal by the time I (on the second floor) plugged in.

Anyone who has championed this type of cause elsewhere please comment. I would be nice if more of us could have a "DonnieW" type of experience.

Again, great lookiing install Donnie!!

Peter M.

·
Registered
845 Posts
DonnieW,
Congrats on a successful set up. I'm in the neighbourhood and had a look first hand as I drove past.
You mentioned a manual scan for channels. Can I ask which tuner you are using?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used a Promax meter to determine if there was any signal at all on each channel (also worked well to tune my FTA to a 95% strength). From there I used my Toshiba TV to manually check each channel. The Toshiba has one of the most sensitive tuners I've seen.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Glad to hear your Toshiba tuner works well. I have read that not all ATSC tuners built into the set are created equal.
I'm using a Humax HFA 100 set top box. When I get my antenna up I'll post some results. Based on the results of fellow DHC'ers strung out across Bovaird, I'm hoping for big things.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Brampton Newbie Needs Advice

Hello everyone.

I'm new to the world of OTA antennas. I've called around to some vendors looking for some input on the best antenna set-up for my situation. And of course they always want you to go big and expensive. I live in Brampton and want to pick up all the local channels here in TO, from 2-69. If I can get more, that is just fantastic. I've read that I can get some US channels too, ie WUTV.

I'm currentyly using FTA, but that is not currenty working and Rogers is just getting a bit expensive, eventhough it's only basic service. I do have HDTV, so, I'm gonna need a hd receiver and an antenna.

Here are some of my choices

CM 4242
CM 3678
CM 3671
CM 3679
CM 3020
CM 4228
WINEGARD PR7052
WINEGARD HD7082
WINEGARD HD8250

Does anybody else have any suggestions. I'm thinking of installing this myself on the side of my house with a 10' x 1.25" diameter pole. Don't like to have a tower on the side of the house, well.. the "boss" won't like it. I've got a good view of the CN tower from the roof. At least, I think it's the CN tower :)

Any help is appreciated. Also, the places where I can get them.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hello kneedfreetv and welcome here! I've moved your post here into this thread about Oakville/Mississauga/Brampton so that you can read through it from the beginning to see what others are doing.

Please also click on the links in my signature to get up to speed on the OTA Forum Knowledge Base and FAQ.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Brampton Newbie needs help

What are brands of OTA HD receiver are out there? Where can I purchase them and approximately how should I pay for them?

61 - 80 of 2373 Posts