Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2373 Posts

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
open6l pretty good results. :)

I don't think the pre amp will bring in City and Toronto 1 in any stronger.

These are the two weakest Toronto HDTV signals and from reading the boards, City signal maybe pointed out towards Toronto North/East.

So anybody south or way west of the Cn Tower maybe out of luck.

As a test if you feel you want to go back on the roof, if you were to rotate the antenna, would City and Toronto 1 would come in any stronger ?

Not being too far from Toronto and having the gain of the 4228, my guess would be that the 4228 does not have a wide enough coverage for you to get those two weaker stations properly.

Buffalo is more east to south direction ? and Toronto more east ?

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes - i moved the antenna last night towards the cn tower (what i thought was the tower) and obviously it came in much stronger but the buffalo stations dropped significantly.. (40-50% if i recall - maybe even lower). Since i'm not too concerned with those 2 (CITY/TOR1) I stuck with the Buffalo direction. Buffalo is almost completely south and toronto more south east from here..

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I've deleted 2 posts out of this thread that were about comparing OTA to Satellite. They were off topic and also redundant because that issue would be clear if the original poster had read the READ THIS Before Posting In The OTA Forum thread.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
mjm70 said:
My only concern is with overlap of the two antenna's. Will I get an awful signal by putting up two different antennas and having them compete with each other.
Yes, you run a few risks combining antennas because patterns contain peak areas and nulls. Somtimes they can overlap, sometimes they can almost cancel eachother out, especially if they're both wide pattern antennas.

I am known to personally favour bowtie reflector antennas for single antenna use due to their superior deep and fringe area signal gathering, but in the case of a dual antenna system that capability will work against you as the antennas work against eachother at some angles.

I would suggest 2 yagis (such as a Winegard 9032, Channel Master 4248, or Wade-Delhi SFA-1483S) pointed one at the Toronto sweet spot, one at the Buffalo sweet spot. Or you could go with a combo of 1 yagi with 1 bowtie reflector (such as a CM4228). Yagis are more directional, typically having better rejection of unwanted signals from side and rear than bowtie reflectors. The payoff is that inter-antenna effects will be greatly reduced.

If you check through this forum you'll see posts by Yaamon and others regarding difficulties they faced and how they got past them.

·
Banned
74 Posts
stampeder said:
I would suggest 2 yagis (such as a Winegard 9032, Channel Master 4248, or Wade-Delhi SFA-1483S) pointed one at the Toronto sweet spot, one at the Buffalo sweet spot. Or you could go with a combo of 1 yagi with 1 bowtie reflector (such as a CM4228).
Well, I guess it is time to call some suppliers and get some quotes. I'm inclined to try one bowtie-type alone to start and see if it can pick up both Toronto and Buffalo (from near right angle directions). If it is not acceptable, I suppose there'd be a way to put a yagi on top and combine them.

Craig

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
It seems that if you are located west of the Cn tower like west end Mississuaga and Oakville because of where you are there it's very hard for one antenna will get all the Toronto and Buffalo stations properly.

If one was to buy a single antenna then your best bet would be the wider coverage 4221.

For those who live in that area there the only two options to use a dual antenna setup or a 4228 with a 9521 remote rotor kit.

Being north of the city like Markham, Richmond Hill, Thornhill etc depends on your location you most likey can get away with one antenna. With the sweet spot between 404 going west to Dufferin and north of say Sheppard.

Being east or west of the Cn Tower poses a problem as Buffalo is almost due south of the Cn tower.

·
Registered
33 Posts
From my Port Credit location, I used to have the antenna aimed between Toronto and Buffalo (assumed aimed at Rochester because I would pick up channels 21.1 through 21.4 occassionaly). This would allow me to receive the stronger signals from both cities but the reception suffered from pixilation and freezing....alot. This setup was definitely a compromise.

As Yaamon noted, the key word is to pick up the channels "properly". After I added the rotor, it's been great with additional channels received and pixilation occuring only during the big storms. I'm now ready for the Superbowl.

·
Banned
74 Posts
RASCL said:
From my Port Credit location, I used to have the antenna aimed between Toronto and Buffalo (assumed aimed at Rochester because I would pick up channels 21.1 through 21.4 occassionaly). This would allow me to receive the stronger signals from both cities but the reception suffered from pixilation and freezing....alot. This setup was definitely a compromise.
Rascl - Thanks for the feedback--that's what I was worried about. If you don't mind, what type of antenna do you have and how high is it mounted?

Craig

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hint - if you click on a poster's name at the left of their post you can then click on a link to all their previous posts. Doing that I found that RASCL has posted previously in this thread that he has an "attic mounted Channel Master 3010A-Stealth Antenna with a CM7778 pre-amp".

·
Registered
33 Posts
As Stampeder noted I'm using a CM3010A. When it was in a fixed position, it was attic mounted. As part of the rotor addition to the system, I relocated it to a chimney mount.

I live in a single storey house.....I strapped an 8ft length of 1 1/2inch dia. galvanized Home Depot fence post to my chimney with a 2ft length on top of the rotor. It's approximately 6ft to 7ft above the chimney top.

·
Banned
74 Posts
mjm70 said:
I have pointed my Terk TV38 more towards Toronto, and in the process improved all my signal strength. [...]
My Channel 9 now comes in with good reception on Analog and digital. All the US channels come in with 70-90% power. The only channel that I don't get now is the SunTV (68 I think).[...]
Many thanks, that is very encouraging. It amazes me how little signal seems to be required. We are a long way from the South Buffalo transmitters and folks are getting a solidly locked signal despite 'mis-aiming' the antenna pretty significantly. Honestly, I don't see how the reception pattern shown here could fit our circumstances!?! But apparently it does. I guess I ought to stop thinking and just do it!

Craig

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
PVR4Me said:
Honestly, I don't see how the reception pattern shown here could fit our circumstances!?! But apparently it does.
Those pattern diagrams are lab test results, so they should have YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY stamped on them. ;) If just looking at diagrams and specifications gave us all the info we needed this forum would pretty well have no reason to be here. As it is, so many things affect reception (topography, station ERP, adjacent signals, receiving antenna type and location, etc.) that its always best to ask here for opinions so that you can make the most of other DHCers' experiences.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Brampton (Mavis/Steeles) Update

Updated station info.

I live near mavis/steeles, brampton

I moved my antenna to a 2nd floor south facing window. It is a cheap small UHF/VFH combo rabbit-ear type for tv's. RCA from Canadian Tire. I have a distribution RCA amplifier hooked up near the antenna before it goes into the wall. From there the cable runs to the basement, and then back up to the main floor.

I use a samsung SIR-T351

With some antenna set up here are the stations I get.

2-1 WGRZ-DT
2-2 WGRZ-DT
4-1 WIVB-HD
4-3 WLNO-SD
5-1 CBLT-DT
7-1 WKBW-HD
23-1 WIVB-HD
23-3 WLNO-SD
29-1 WUTV-HD
29-2 WUTV-SD
29-3 WUTV-EN
43-1 WNED-HD
43-2 WNED-SD
43-3 THINK B

kw.......................

·
Registered
120 Posts
Brampton (Mavis/Steeles) Another Update

updated.....

The equipment is now an RCA indoor antenna with built-in variable amplifier up to 30 dB (canadian tire). The gain is maxed.

Futher antenna set up leads to....

3 new channels

2-1 WGRZ-DT
2-2 WGRZ-DT
4-1 WIVB-HD
4-3 WLNO-SD
5-1 CBLT-DT
7-1 WKBW-HD
9-1 CFTO-DT
23-1 WIVB-HD
23-3 WLNO-SD
29-1 WUTV-HD
29-2 WUTV-SD
29-3 WUTV-EN
43-1 WNED-HD
43-2 WNED-SD
43-3 THINK B
53-1 CITYHD
66-1 CKXT-DT

I need more time to play with the reception. I had a bit of trouble getting all at once, if I moved the antenna to get city CITY I lost NBC. And vice versa. But at the moment I have it all.

thx

kw.............

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally...HDTV in my house! Mississauga - Clarkson area

I decided to brave the cold temperatures and light snow we had yesterday and install my recently acquired antenna. I decided to buck the trend and be different with my choice of antennae. I picked up a Winegard PR-4400. I guess it would be similar to the CM4221. Main reason I got this one is I like to be different than everyone else, lol, seriously it was cause I happened on an Ebay auction for one, it was fairly cheap and the guy shipped it by US Post rather than UPS.

I live in Mississauga, in the Clarkson area which is fairly close to the lake. I live in a 2 story semi. My ladder wasn't tall enough to make it up onto the roof which was ok as I always shudder at the thought of mounting anything to a perfectly good rood, I figure you're just asking for trouble. I luckily had a spare satellite antenna mount(J shaped mount) which I proceeded to install on the front of my house(southern exposure) just above my two satellite dishes(good thing I am single, no one to bitch at me). The antenna is very lightweight and fit like a charm on the J mount. I guesstimated where to aim it and proceeded to run a brand new RG6 feed down to the basement where my Home Theater resides. Once I got all the cable run and hooked up to my LG Electronics LST-3510A HDTV Receiver/DVD Player(sweet unit HD tuner and upconverting DVD player in one box!!) I was ready for the big test. I proceeded to power up my system and then ran a channel scan. As I sat in anticipation I eagerly watched the scanning process and was ecstatic once I saw channels being found!!! I think it registered 17 channels in total. I am basically getting all the Buffalo and Toronto stations.

I get NBC, ABC, CBS, PBS, FOX, UPN(??), CBC, CBC Francais, CFTO, SUNtv and CITY TV. I have an issue with CITYTV and NBC though. If I point the antenna more towards the CN Tower I get CityTV with good results but get Pixellation on NBC, if I point more Southerly I NBC with good results but lose CityTV pretty much completely. At the moment I have chosen NBC over CityTV, anyone think CityTV would be the better choice?? Not sure myself at this point which I would prefer to get.

All in all I am extremely happy with my results. In total I spent about $250ish to get my HDTV up and running. And I got an Upconverting DVD player as a bonus! I only purchased the Antenna and HD Box, the cable, connectors and J mount I had laying around the house from previous satellite installs(my friends get me to do all this stuff for them).

If anyone is interested I am probably gonna snap some pics of my install sometime this week if I have a chance, although I normally leave for work when it is dark and don't get home til it is dark through the week so it may have to wait til friday when I am off. I meant to take pics yesterday but was too excited to play with my HD!! I got it all setup just in time for the new season of 24 and the return of Lost!! Can't wait to see them in HD!

Sorry for the long message but I like to make my posts like a story and hopefully somewhat interesting to read...

Kevin

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Congrat

Great results. :)

Because you are loctaed west of the Cn Tower and Buffalo is south getting all the stations properly would be a little difficult without a rotor.

City tv is a more directional signal with a eastward and north coverage and being a low power station does not help.

Great job with the install especially in the cold.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Way to go Kevin, and I'm sure the PR-4400 and LG tuner will do just fine for you. Pics would be nice here. When you get a chance please add your results to the GTA Results thread - in short form though ;)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Kevin, I lived in Clarkson for 15 years on Calder Rd. Maybe I even know you? I know the area well and you should be able to see the CN tower from your roof. a Rotor would be a good option. I use one on my antenna a Winegard 9032.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Results and Discussions

The new threads are now open to posting of Results and to discussing them. Stay on topic, and whenever possible make use of the generic threads dealing with antennas, gear, vendors, etc. so that we don't duplicate all that great info. Just direct people to the existing info threads or the READ THIS FIRST thread as often as possible.

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
7 Posts
Which Antenna Works Best in Mississauga?

Hi guys
Great forum. I was wondering if U can input as which antenna I should purchase.

1- WineGuard 4400 prostar 1000
2- ChannelMaster 4221
3- WineGuard SquarwShooter 2000 or 1000

I live in Mississauga across from Square One but since I live in a condo I'm
limited to install anything on my baalocony as I have a dish already pointing to
the southern sky. Since I have a corner unit facing south I can point to either
south west or south east and have a clear sight of CN tower.

I really appriciate any input...................Thanx...........John

My hardware are : Toshiba 50" Plasma Toshiba DVD/Audio Toshiba/DirecTv DST-3000 Reciever.

21 - 40 of 2373 Posts