Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2361 - 2373 of 2373 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Several years ago I lived about 4 blocks west of my current location, approx. same elevation. WBXZ was just coming online at the time before I moved. Occasionally there I would pick up Global 17 during tropo. Never seen Global once here, 600 meters away. WBXZ is weaker than most (20dB on Hauppauge signal mon,) but VERY stable. 59 Miles away and my ERP is 0.793. Very much favors east in its transmit pattern. My boss in Ashburn, 45 minutes north east of me has no trouble with it at all, (~28dB).

Since they came back online after their extended outage a few weeks ago, they're a tad stronger here and I require far less precision in aim. Most of their content is decades old, so the 9 channel split doesn't really hamper PQ. Will and Grace currently airing on .1 looks better than it did on SD cable all those years ago..

·
Registered
888 Posts
Unless something has changed, conditions must be unique tonight. WBBZ Ch 67 (VHF 7) just scanned in for first time. There are 5 channels including METEST with no content. Signal is strong. Hopefully they've increased power and this is permanent since this looks like a good channel.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
WBBZ is very dependent on conditions. Its on and off here now that we are into the warmer weather. It is also a low power station and VHF. When conditions are right, it comes in on my UHF antenna, a CM 4221, pointed at Grand Island.

WGRZ 2.1, is now problematic. Its in and out throughout the day and night.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Just scanned in virtual 15-1 (RF Ch 22) as StarRay TV with reference srtv.ca. First time I've ever seen this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Staray's been broadcasting without a license for years... he originally had one in the 1990's but they took it away when they removed the experimental licenses. He fought the CRTC and things kind of were left in a legal limbo without any final decision ... so for years they just left him alone. As long as no one is complaining they just won't do anything about it. He was using RF15 but when CHCH moved onto 15 he moved to RF22 not to interfere and cause problems for himself.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Antenna to use?

I live in Mississauga at Dixie and Bloor. My antenna could be at about 35 feet above the ground.

Which antenna is generally regarded to be the best? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,431 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live in Mississauga at Dixie and Bloor. My antenna could be at about 35 feet above the ground.

Which antenna is generally regarded to be the best? Thanks.

“Best” depends on what you’re trying to accomplish.

Let me ask this: do you watch CFTO? If yes, you’ll want an antenna that can pick up the VHF channels available to you.

A good first step is to go to tvfool.com and get a plot of what stations are available to you OTA, then we can talk antenna; with downtown Toronto to your ESE, Hamilton/K-W to your W and Buffalo SSE of you, something with a reflector is probably on your horizon. But you might not get CKVR out of Barrie.

See how this gets a bit tricky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,117 Posts
Which antenna is generally regarded to be the best?
Hello, JugglingReferee

As audioguy_on_ca said, it depends upon what you want. You have channels in different directions; some are very strong, some very weak. This is a map for Dixie and Bloor:

This is a TVFool report for that intersection:

TV Fool

This is an image of that report:

This is a report using the new rabbitears.info Search Map:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=5342

and this is an image of that report:

There is no one fixed antenna that will get everything. If you use a preamp for the weak Buffalo channels, it might be overloaded by the strong Toronto channels. You must be willing to try some experiments to see what will work for you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m sure one of nikiml’s GH versions (GH0) aimed at the CN Tower, with a yagi pointed at Buffalo/Grand Island would take care of most of what’s available in the UHF band (especially at 35’ high), but the issue would be CFTO in the VHF band.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
72 Posts
I’m in Mississauga and have been unable to get City TV-57.1 and Global 41.1. I’ve rescanned but still get the same issue. Any suggestions since I’ve always gotten good reception of those. No issues with US channels. TIA

·
Registered
751 Posts
Global/City/Omni1/Omni2 have all been at lower power for over a month. Not sure when they're going back to full power. They're all scheduled to move to different channel numbers between May and July.

2361 - 2373 of 2373 Posts