Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2321 - 2340 of 2373 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Well I learned a lot since I got into OTA a couple of years ago. I also bought a 3410 thinking that it would magically make all kinds of channels appear that the antenna alone could not. When it didn't appear to do anything, I mounted the amp next to the antenna up on the roof. Again no additional channels magically materialized.
However, it does perform well as a distribution amp feeding 2 TVs and and an HW-150 PVR.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am receiving all the channels I should be receiving normally - WUTV ill give a break to because of its directional signal. I must say, the DB4E is pretty darn good for the price too!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry to say but your current reception is because it is a "good signal week." I am getting it today with a DB8 in the attic. It rarely comes in on that antenna.

WUTV will be moving to rf36 in June 2019.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Here's one that caught me by surprise. Around 3pm today WSTM 3.1 Syracuse came in solid. Don't how long it was up. In about 2 minutes it was gone.
At the same time some of the normal Buffalo stations disappeared.

·
Registered
593 Posts
@Jorgek, These sporadic channels are common in summer. Members wanting to know why some channel is unreceivable should always check this thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/129-ota-reception-results/252889-ota-great-lakes-area-dxing-tropo-atypical-reception.html

Many of my Toronto stations went dead this morning and were replaced by Syracuse/Watertown/Utica stations or just dead air. Don't waste your time adjusting your antenna unless you want to receive these oddballs that pop up for seconds to hours, always orient your antenna in the dead of winter for best results unless you have a rotor.

P.S. Orbot, A member here, received a station from Nashville Tennessee yesterday, 617 miles from his location near Toronto.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I dont see many logs of these channels from people in the toronto area, but im in Etobicoke (Kipling/Eglinton) and picked up 6-1 paris (daily always) and 31 Woodstock repeater of City Tv which I havent seen before. Thats almost to London, Ont which is a decent distance considering its land the entire way and no lake which aids in signals reaching.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
@markow202
Actually over water can work against you unless you use diversity reception. Microwave relays avoid over water as much as possible.

Again this AM WSTM was very strong. That's a record for me at 189 miles.

All I have at 35 ft elev. is a CM 4221HD pointed at Grand Island NY.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yesterday AM I set a new record for scanned channels at 72. All kinds of signals from the Rochester area. Too bad I only have a 4221HD aimed at Grand Island. A rotator would be an interesting addition as well as a VHF antenna.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Tower Antenna

Hi, just posting to find out if anyone in Brampton have a tower antenna installed. Wondering what kind of reception your getting. Can you please let me know what height you have it at and what kind of channels your getting. Reason why i am asking is that i have an installer coming over Next Saturday to install a tower. I checked TVfool, which i will post at the end, and going 60 feet with the mast included will bring me the channel WBBZ in. Please just take a second if you can assist me in this, i really appreciate it, thanks.

TV Fool

·
Registered
200 Posts
folcan99

I have to admire you OTA enthusiasm, you are really going for it! What equipment are you putting on the tower? Are you mounting a separate VHF antenna for WBBZ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is what my setup looks like:
1. 50' tv tower (includes all hrd.)
2. 10' mast
3. CM 5020 deep fringe antenna
4. CM Rotator
5. CM Preamp
6. coax cable
7. rotator cable
8. hardware

·
Registered
200 Posts
folcan99

Please keep us posted with the results of your project. The performance CM 5020 has not been discussed by other members in this forum, so it will be good to get a real world report.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Will do. The installer has told me that this would be the best for what i want. It has a range of 150 miles and with the rotater should work well.

·
Registered
200 Posts
folcan99

The installer's choice may work out well for your goals, but the expectation of 150 miles is overstated. You will get signals from 150 miles in "tropo" conditions; when the weather is right. The curvature of the earth cuts off line of sight signal at 70 miles. Signals can reflect and bend to propagate beyond 70 miles; I regularly get Buffalo channels from over 100 miles away but they are NOT there 100% of the time. You might like to check the OTA Antenna Chart on this site to consider all the antenna options for your goals.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I see the CM 5020 as rated 100 miles and line of sight.That said I have not heard of anyone receiving WBBZ reliably from Brampton.Summertime should come in.Note that CFTO is moving to RF 8 2019 and well present new adjacent channel issues with rf 7.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The other issue with WBBZ is that they only transmit at 15KW. I receive WBBZ on my 4221HD conditions permitting.

2321 - 2340 of 2373 Posts