Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2301 - 2320 of 2373 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
A vertical stack won't help you at all unless your problem is interference or multipath above or below your horizontal plane or needing more forward gain. You need horizontal beamwidth, as evidenced by your need to rotate to hit transmitters in different directions. This is often difficult to achieve by ganging 2 antennas.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Seems to be an unusual night. WPXJ 51.1 and subchannels are crystal clear. WGRZ was earlier though it's gone now. Both are usually invisible to me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm having some trouble getting VHF channels (mainly 2.1, 4.1, and 7.1) using an indoor Terk HDTVa. I've gotten all these in the past at some point but they aren't consistent and they just need some sort of boost I'm hoping. The TVFool report is below, the Terk does pull in all the ones in green and usually the ones in yellow (it's not in the attic but it's on the top floor). Fox is a bit inconsistent since the Terk is quite directional but that's fine.

I'd really love to know a solution to try and get those VHF ones (at least though and I'm thinking maybe a simple home-made one for the VHF channels? The Terk includes bunny ears for it's VHF channels but all the simple DIY antennas I'm finding are more UHF oriented. Maybe stacking or something will help, I dunno.

TV Fool

·
Registered
890 Posts
You'll get lots of responses. But to begin 2.1, 4.1 and 7.1 are all UHF channels. These are their virtual channel numbers. Their real channels are 33, 39 and 38 respectively. Conditions are up and down but in the evening 4.1 and 7.1 are not difficult. 2.1 is a challenge for me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You're right, I got confused, the American UHF ones I'm having problems pulling in with a Terk HDTVa with a pre-amp including 4.1 or 7.1. Any simple solutions for getting better reception on those two? The Terk just uses simple bunny ears for UHF and I'm thinking those aren't very effective.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I spent many months playing with several indoor antennas. My lesson? Do whatever you can to get any antenna outdoors instead. Even a bad antenna outside at low height may work better than a good indoor antenna. Especially if like me you live on the ground floor on the wrong side of the building for the weaker signals.

I played with a passive Terk-like cheap copy in a 5-element yagi arrangement. This antenna was the best working antenna indoors. It made a significant difference over others I tried.

But I have had much better luck with a Clearstream 2V mounted outside at fence top height. Even with 75 feet of RG-6 and only a 10 dB amplifier connected inline inside, I can receive regularly CBS and ABC stations from Buffalo. Now there is a 4V which I would choose in a second instead for the little extra signal. These are light, reasonably-priced and simple to install antennas that work even at low heights. I was able to buy mine new locally and avoided cross-border hassle and shipping cost.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The UHF section of the Terk is the mini rooftop antenna looking section. The bunny ears are for VHF. You can adjust the length of the bunny ears for the vhf channel you are going for, but you can't adjust the middle antenna section for UHF just can move it around. I use the amplified Terk HDTVa to get a station from Tacoma (Fox)on VHF and have to have the length of the bunny ears just so to get this station on channel 13 (over the air number) - Tacoma is in the Seattle area of Washington and I live in Coquitlam BC. If you have the amplifier switch on it should give you your best chance of getting the station you are looking for, you can turn the amplifier off if you are overloading as well. I still get the Tacoma station with the amplifier turned off it just is a bit more iffy, make sure you plug the amplifier into 110 volts for the amplifier to work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah the amp definetely makes a difference for me on the Terk, even the local CBC signal gets a big boost with the amp. Out of curiosity, have you ever tried experimenting with a different amp than the one included on the Terk? I wanna try a better one out that I can later use if I get an outdoor antenna but I have no idea what the specs on the included Terk amp are to begin with.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I am not sure but I think the Terk has a matching set up with both ends. I tried plugging in an old Silversensor clone into the amp and it made no difference to the signal (the clone looks just like the inner part of the Terk without the bunny ears, it seemed to work a little better than the un amplified Terk, but the amped Terk worked best).

·
Registered
890 Posts
WKBW has a new sub-channel 7.4 Grit. Receiving it now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Etobicoke Reception

Hey everyone

I have a DB4E with a channel master amplifier on it. Im on a 3rd floor balcony mounted facing south (Kipling/Eglinton area) with an apartment building to the left of me (blocking CN Tower/not so much buffalo) and one building to the right of me (but not blocking Hamilton)

I receive all of Toronto (sometimes pixelate Ch 5 and 41 due to that building)

Buffalo I receive all the major ones except hardest time right now with WUTV sadly

Whats very bizarre is about a month ago I started picking up CIII-6 channel 6 Paris ont and is 90% steadily coming in. I never ever saw anyone have this channel on their lists in the Toronto area being picked up (although pointless because its a Global Toronto repeater)

31 channels total

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
@markow202 You should post a list of the channels that you receive. If you're getting channel 11 in Hamilton (RF15), it may be causing some adjacent channel interference on RF14 (WUTV). Since you're receiving Paris Global (RF17), then I assume CHCH is coming in strong. It could be that you're getting some reflections off these nearby buildings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Channels I receive:

CH 2 (5 bar strength)
CH 4 (3 bar strength)
CH 5 (half strength)
CH 6 (1 bar strength steady)
CH 7 (half strength)
CH 9 (full strength)
CH 11 (half strength)
CH 17 (half strength)
CH 19 (half strength)
CH 23 (4 bar strength)
CH 25 (full strength)
CH 26 (sometimes at night)
CH 29 (recently barely/never since winter)
CH 35 (steady 1-bar strength)
CH 36 (half strength)
CH 40 (3 bar strength)
CH 41 (half strength)
CH 47 (half strength
CH 49 (half strength always receivable)
CH 57 (full strength)

Received the other night CH 31 Woodstock, Ont (briefly)

Ive added recently a Channel Master amplifier (CM 3410) but it hasnt helped me too much especially for fixing the issue with FOX 29 WUTV. It helped with keeping 1 bar strength channels steady such as useless CIII-6 Paris.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Adding an amplifier is of no use if there is NO signal at the antenna. It can actually make matters worse by boosting the strong signals and over loading your tuner.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Markow have you tried moving the antenna horizontally while someone watches rf 14 for signal and find the sweet spot on your balcony.Moving antenna a few feet make all the difference sometimes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ive turned the tv myself and watched it from the balcony window while I rotated the mast its on - (sweet spot is when the antenna is facing south east).

I must be getting reflections off the building facing south east of me (blocking toronto) because for example CIII-6 Paris the antenna isnt even directly facing and it picks it up - once I try to move it to the direction of Paris it doesnt come in lol.

My reception in general is very good, just would like to get Fox steadily for my Seinfeld at night :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Markow I meant actually moving the antenna not just turning the aim.Undo it from the mast keeping the angle the same and your body behind the antenna walk along the balcony and watch for best position for rf 14.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have done this when sitting it up initially. In the spot its in now, it received RF 14 no problem (beggining of Dec no leaves on trees in front of me) as of late spring RF 14 is very weak for me (when leaves came in)

Also forgot to mention, I have a splitter on the bottom of the mast + LTE Channel Master filter where it serves 2 tvs. The tv with the longer cable receives slightly weaker signals however both not receiving RF14 currently. Im wondering if a higher quality splitter would even help or matter? (was looking at the one on channel master website)

I do not want to move the antenna physically from my balcony to the other side of it currently due to aesthetics + having this massive thing in front of my patio set.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
Welcome to the forum, markow202

I did a tvfool report for just SW of Kipling and Eglinton, at postal code M9B 5Z4:
TV Fool

The report shows strong signals, but trees and buildings in the signal path will make them weaker than listed.

CIII-DT, virtual channel 6.1, real channel 17 is at 238 degrees, so you are probably correct that you are receiving a reflection.
In the spot its in now, it received RF 14 no problem (beggining of Dec no leaves on trees in front of me) as of late spring RF 14 is very weak for me (when leaves came in)
Trees block TV signals and scatter them. There is no magic antenna that will see through trees.
Siting the antenna
Scroll down to Trees and UHF
I do not want to move the antenna physically from my balcony to the other side of it currently due to aesthetics + having this massive thing in front of my patio set.
The antenna must be located where the signals are strongest; the signals will not come to your antenna at the desired location.
I have a splitter on the bottom of the mast + LTE Channel Master filter where it serves 2 tvs. The tv with the longer cable receives slightly weaker signals however both not receiving RF14 currently. Im wondering if a higher quality splitter would even help or matter?
There really isn't that much difference in 2-way splitters; the loss is about 3.5 dB. What happens to Fox if you connect the antenna directly to the closest TV without the splitter and LTE filter?

If you already tried the 3410 before the splitter and it didn't help, then the signal isn't strong enough coming from the antenna as Jorgek said.

The only other thing that I can think of to try, would be a more directional antenna aimed at 145 degrees for Fox, which would make the local signals at 106 degrees weaker.

Adjacent channel interference from RF 15 is possible, but a good tuner can handle adjacent channel interference up to 33 dB more than the desired weaker signal.

2301 - 2320 of 2373 Posts