Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2281 - 2300 of 2373 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im starting to think defective antenna.

He has it 7 ft above the peak of his 2 story house.

tried scanning with 2 different tvs connected direct to antenna used compass to aim right at hamilton and with this tool Toronto-Buffalo HDTV Antenna Pointer by Xtek Electronics Inc. i see no buildings blocking hamilton.

just stranger toronto and buffalo towers work. one of his two TVs is identical to the one i use in milton and catch all 3 hamilton.

ide like stronger signal for his buffalo so i will try a cm 7777 titan.

he is on habitat square brampton l6s1x7.

I assume any antenna thats that high up outdoors on that street should see chch. unless maybe something in the neighborhood interferes it?

I sometimes think the DB4e might be bad but if that was the case he would have no fox either for example right?

Also what will help more a stronger antenna or preamp?

·
Registered
15 Posts
rob50312 is this the rca you mention?

RCA Antennas : TVPRAMP1R : Home

im still debating cm 7778 or 7777 or this rca?

Edit: I ended up ordering a RCA TVPRAMP1R it seems to be built by same ppl as the CM 7777/7778 it has a UHF gain of 22 which is higher than the 7778 and lower than 7777 so its in between. I like that the rca has a port I can add a VHF to as well which I might after.

It was half the price of the channel master as well to be honest.

Ill post my results.

I also need to buy a cable to go from pre-amp to antenna. SHould I get 3 ft or 6 ft.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
James looking at satellite view it appears that condo buildings near Dixie and Queen are maybe blocking your line of sight to Hamilton tower.Try the rca preamp it has tested well.Either cable just be sure to use rubber covers to seal out water.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
James you are right ,looks like only obstructions is is factories by 410 and condos by shoppersworld.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rob Do you think there is a possibility of the antenna being defective? I mean given the distance is not too great and no huge blockage?

Would a defective antenna pick up the toronto stations amazing and some buffalo?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
James no it cant be the antenna.Sometimes its just there is little signal at that spot.Have tried just walking the antenna around on roof while manually tuning to rf 15 or rf 36.I have seen moving an antenna 2 feet making a hugh difference.I thinking maybe your TV fool is wrong.When I re input your tv fool at 20 feet you lose LOS to Hamilton.Try the preamp .

·
Registered
218 Posts
just so you know that the chch tower is actually in stoney creek up on the mountain so you would need to aim the attenna just south of Hamilton to get the tower.i live on upper gage in Hamilton and I can see the tower its about 20 blocks away from me near fennel street in stoney creek.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rob, Ill keep your advice in mind this weekend. moving it will be hard as what i did is side mount at the peek on the side of the house where the roof is like an A then i took a 10 ft pole up from there which has the balun of the antenna sitting 7 ft above the highest point of the roof. surrounding homes are the same height or lower. if i move left or right antenna will go lower.

Maybe Ill try a tipod in center to go the 3 feet higher of the mast (my dad was against me going in his shingles.

I will let you know my results and take pics of the setup.

thanks very much for all the input.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
James I would just try lowering it down the pole 2 feet or walking around the roof while someone else monitors reception.I would hate to put holes in roof.

·
Registered
15 Posts
rob i have a db4e with 50 ft rg 6 going to a cm 3414 distribution amp. when i add the preamp someone suggested i can not put the inserter to the distribution amp as it will make noise.

do you think i can keep the distribution amp?

also i imagine with the preamp on the mast i should use the shortest cable possible. 3 ft would be better than 6 right?

see i dunno if it matters where preamp is if thats the case 3 ft is shorter less loss but with 6 ft the amp would be slightly further from antenna.

what would you do?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
James the 3 foot cable would be best .Try the preamp with out distribution amp.I have preamp attached with 6 inch cable.It wont make really any difference.The quality of cable and connections that count.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok So I reaimed, installed the preamp.

If I aim one way I get hamilton in if I aim the other I get buffalo in.

Im at 30 ft i measured.

So not I think I made a mistake using a DB4e at this location. I think I should have used an 8 bay.

Any advice?

is a DB8e simply 2 x DB4e? Can I but whats required to turn 2 x DB4e into a DB8e?

Or is the a suggested antenna which is stronger?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
James yes DB8 is simple 2 db4 combined together.You could try aiming at Buffalo but turn a few degrees at a time toward Hamilton and check your results.Aiming 2 antennas in different directions does not always work out if signals are weak.Trial and error or a rotor ?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
This is why I recommended stronger preamp. DB8e would be even worse because it is stronger antenna which makes it more directional.
Combining 2 antennas sometimes works but it is not a guarantee. Rotator would work but is it worth it for one channel.
Most likely 30' is not enough height for your location to use antenna with out a rotator.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@ rob cant do a rotor when using multiple tvs I dont think.

@bevfan do you tink a 7777 would do much better than the rca which has the same gain as a 7778? I originally didnt go for a 7777 in fear over overload with channels like global where even if i point in the wrong direction signal is crazy high.

Also what are laws on how high I can go?

so weird considering in milton im @ 25 feet no preamp same antenna much much better results.

in my milton address I get between 32 and 40 channels depending on the day

is there a better antenna if i was willing to replace all and start from scratch?

also with the rca right now it looks like i can add a separate vhf antenna. would doing this do anything yo guys think?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
.. stronger preamp ..
You can't "manufacture" a stronger signal with a pre-amp. A pre-amp overcomes signal loss from the balun to your tuner, whether it be from attenuation due to the length of the cable run, splitting, etc. It's all explained in the pre-amp thread.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How strong is your Buffalo / Hamilton reception when aimed at each market? How many degrees do you have to turn to each one?

A DB8e might work if your signals are strong enough with a panel aimed at each market. Or something like a Clearstream2 aimed in between.

A 777x would probably make a mess of things. Your problem is aim, not amplification.

Of course, the BEST solution would probably be 2 antennas each connected to it's own tuner, using a mix of either dedicated HTPC's or HD homeruns networked or a mix of the 2. Costly, might not be feasible depending on how many TV's you're trying to feed.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I would probably installed 2 DB4e antennas combined them and add 7777. Do not have to worry about overloads since there are no towers in close by proximity.

2281 - 2300 of 2373 Posts