Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1521 - 1540 of 1586 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
With the additions of 56.5 Michigan Learning Channel and 62.4 Fave TV , in Windsor we still can't get
WNWO-DT 24.1 (RF-23) . Did they ever increase the power and are some picking it up in the South West end of Windsor ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
They did increase power Ive read but still a no go for me in the east end Ford test track area. Dont think we will see much until WUDT rf23 Daystar moves to rf8 this year around sept.

Also WMYD rf31 has converted to ATSC3.0 I dont have the converter box yet so I cant see it. Anyone with a box here in Windsor yet???

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also a new channel just popped up on WHPS low power rf15 being the Country Network 15.2. So if your a country music fan you now have Circle and the Country Network to watch. Do a scan if you need it folks.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thx for the link adnutcracker on 3.0 in Detroit. Im not that excited for it anymore, I think it will end good free tv that we all enjoy in Essex county. Im hearing that they want to put a pay tv option on OTA 3.0 once it gets going and hoping we dont lose our great sub channels like Grit and MeTV. The phase out of 1.0 is in 5 yrs , so we have some time still.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't know where you heard that ATSC 1.0 has a phase out period at all. What's your source to say "the phase out of 1.0 is in 5 years"??

ATSC 3.0 NextGen is totally voluntary and there will be no US government backed converter box program to cover the cost of OTA TV viewers being forced to use it, like there was when OTA TV broadcasters converted to digital from analog. I can't speak for what Canada will do or how long it will take for stations in Canada to start to add ATSC 3.0 stations.

As I said, it's voluntary. The law of economics will dictate how long ATSC 1.0 stays with us. With the recently completed repack, stations will be hard-pressed to find spectrum in markets already tight with ATSC 1.0 assignments.

·
Registered
95 Posts
ATSC 3.0 will be the start of a new completely new phase unlike what we have ever seen .It won't have anything to do with stopping free TV but more of options to come under IP related info and many more multiple sub channels unlike what exists today with better resolution . It goes beyond just TV and integrates tech yet to come . The problem is will take a while to take hold in the US and who knows if Canada will ever get on board unless the Goverment gets involves to cover the start up costs . Its getting more traction in the US this year as they plan to have a broadcast station covering across the US by end of year But who knows under Covid how plans will be extended out .ATSC 1.0 was talked about moving out years down the road ,but I don't think the US will do that based on history of viewers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
from yahoo news atsc3.0 everything you need to know.....

It’s worth mentioning that if you have no interest in the benefits of ATSC 3.0, you can simply stick with existing ATSC 1.0 broadcasts. Unlike the switch from analog NTSC video to digital ATSC video, which was a mandatory one, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) approved ATSC 3.0 in a way that allowed stations to broadcast in the new format on a voluntary basis. More to the point, stations that do voluntarily broadcast in ATSC 3.0 must continue to offer ATSC 1.0 signals for at least five years after the switch.
So, if you’re content with the status quo, there’s nothing forcing you to change, at least not in the near future

·
Registered
47 Posts
Scripps owns WPXD 31 and Grit is one of their channels. They started making channel lineup changes last week with the ION owned stations, which Scripps bought last September. WADL 38 is owned by Adell Broadcasting and has a contract with Grit, Quest, and Crime, which are all Scripps channels. When those contracts are up for renewal, you will probably see some more shuffling going on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
On September 24, 2020, the Cincinnati-based E. W. Scripps Company (owner of WXYZ-TV and WMYD) announced that it would purchase Ion Media for $2.65 billion, with financing from Berkshire Hathaway. With this purchase, Scripps will divest 23 Ion-owned stations, but no announcement has been made as to which stations that Scripps will divest as part of the move (WPXD-TV is likely to be one of the divested outlets since Scripps already owns two stations in the Detroit market). The proposed divestitures will allow the merged company to fully comply with the FCC local and national ownership regulations. Scripps has agreed to a transaction with an unnamed buyer, who has agreed to maintain Ion affiliations for the stations

Scripps also announced that it is cutting 120 jobs across its corporate and national networks units. The company said it expects to realize $500 million in cost savings over the next six years by combining Ion’s operations with its own.

The Ion Television Network will continue to be broadcast on the primary channel of Scripps’ 48 Ion station, but the company said it will shut down Ion Plus, Qubo and Shop Ion, which had been airing on multicast channels, effective Feb. 28.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Also if you notice we have 3 Home shopping HSN channels on 20.4, 31.6 and 38.7. Some of us have 3 channels of Grit on 11.3, 31.3 and 38.2. I realize this isnt going to stay but its pretty funny.

Lets hope after the channel shuffle we can get back Get TV to a full power stations like WADL its original home in Detroit. Right now its on low power WHNE Low vhf ch3 which we cant get anymore unless you have a old big antenna with vhf low on it.

If anyone misses Get TV plz go to the WADL FB or website and ask to get it back. Maybe they will listen since they have an opening coming up.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Diginet update......more new networks are coming. We will see which ones end up on Detroit/Toledo tv.

They are Defy and Doozy-- both reality programming one aimed at men the other women. Launch date spring, going to Scripps Ion networks locally WPXD.
Twist -- another network aimed at women. Launch date July 1 on Tegna stations which WTOL RF11 is one.
Antenna Tv 80's ---launch date fall 2021 probably a no brainer for WMYD that currently has Antenna tv.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Diginet update......more new networks are coming. We will see which ones end up on Detroit/Toledo tv.

They are Defy and Doozy-- both reality programming one aimed at men the other women. Launch date spring, going to Scripps Ion networks locally WPXD.
Twist -- another network aimed at women. Launch date July 1 on Tegna stations which WTOL RF11 is one.
Antenna Tv 80's ---launch date fall 2021 probably a no brainer for WMYD that currently has Antenna tv.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just a head's up to everyone in Essex County, I did a channel rescan today to update some of the recent changes, and for the first time in 3 years, CFTV from Leamington popped up, but it's coming out on Virtual Channel 30.1 and 30.2 only. None of the other subchannels are appearing, and most curiously, it's not on virtual 34. Anyone else finally able to get CFTV with a rescan? According to RabbitEars, CFTV should be receivable in most of Essex County, including most of Windsor, if you have an outdoor antenna with a booster, and you have it aimed towards Kingsville/Leamington. I'd love to hear some of your results from the surrounding area!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi Tecstack.....I got CFTV one night this week when tropo was high, but now nothing.Your a little more to the east then me.Im near Ford test track.No booster on my antenna also might help or hurt who knows.I was suprised to see it also.Got it one night with rf36 WQHS Clev. and rf33 Global. Global only tropo my way too.

Are you getting it 24/7???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Greetings Detroit TVFAN!
Yes, CFTV is rock solid, 24/7. It's supposed to have several subchannels on it, but only 2 are currently appearing. Something appears to have been blocking it for the last 3 years, since I put up my new antenna, and now it's been liberated, so to speak. I tried getting it during the previous 3 summers nightly tropo events, but no luck. Now it's rock solid and strong. If you got a booster, I'd bet anything that you'd get it. Try this link below for RabbitEars. I believe you'd be just outside of the contour, but with a booster, and a southeastern antenna aim, you'd hook onto it. One word of warning though, the volume on the station is compressed and cranked WAY up; it's much louder than all of our other stations!
RabbitEars.Info

·
Registered
167 Posts
@Tecstacker....thx for the rabbit ears link. Looks like the transmitter is between ruthven and cottam.Where I was trying to point right at Leamington.But it looks like Im out of the contour.I noticed when I picked it up at night the 30.1 was showing Leave it to Beaver and the Addams Family.lol. Dont know what they would put on any more subchannels that would be of any value since we dont have the diginets like they have stateside, but always nice to pick up a new signal.I will try it also when Im out in Colchester it looks like Im in the contour there.

Q for you.....does your antenna have a vhf low element on it to pick up vhf3 WHNE LP???

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hey DetTVFan,
vhf3 whne has been a no-show for me....The vhf elements on the HD Stacker are sort of medium-sized; not as big as the old VHF antennas, but bigger than the elements on the new Winegard antennas. I used to pick up WKYC from Cleveland during summer nightly tropo, but this new Detroit channel 3 remains elusive......I miss picking up Cleveland stations! WEWS!

1521 - 1540 of 1586 Posts