Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1441 - 1460 of 1501 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Also TVO is still there but seems at lower power then at rf32.To receive it you need to point at Harrow is how I rec it.

Its not omni direct. like on rf32.If your pointed at Detroit you prob. wont get it.Which sucks cause most have no rotor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
@TechDstack

Ok Im on vac. this week and am experimenting to get WGTE Toledo PBS rf29.

Antenna{ Clearstream 4V w/VHF kit no amp 20ftup presently.Location east Windsor/Ford test track park area.

I was first going to move the ant. to the back of my yard where there is more open sky toward Toledo which is about 55 air miles away according to tvfool.I declined this idea bc would have taken at least 100ft of rg6 so I guessed the loss from the long run wouldnt be worth it.

I decided to get the mast pipe higher some how where it is located presently.Ive seen posted many times even 5 ft higher can help.The higher the better of coarse.

So I managed to get it up 5-7 ft higher is my estimate.Did a scan on myLG and not only got WGTE but also WNWO24 rf23 Toledo.
WNWO was iffy bc of the repack it also share the freq with WUDL LP Detroit.

Both in at 60% signal solid for the last 4 hours.My one problem is WTOL and WTVG both in weak on vhf at 34/35% bc of the crappy
vhf kit .At some time i will have to add a better vhf only antenna.But overall I really like this antenna as a UHF long distance antenna probably 3rd to the DB8e and the 91XG.

But for now Im happy to get at least 4 of the Toledo stations at my location along with our local Windsor/Detroit channels off the side of the antenna.Even through the thick follage.

Looking forward to some tropo to see if the added height will help pull in some distant DX stations in the next little while.

Hope this helped some local OTA enthusiasts with there own antennas and what we can receive here in Windsor/Essex county with free tv.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Signal loss in Southwestern Ontario

I have a 10 year old antenna system with a booster installing in my attic (condo rules do not permit antennas on my roof).
Over the last couple years I have been loosing signal strength and have lost WJBK 2.1 completely.
Is the age of my system to blame?

·
Super Moderator
56,441 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
PointeWest34, I have not noticed any drop in signal strength from WJBK 2.1. But my location is different than yours. I am located in Windsor near Belle Isle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
how to get channels 4 and 7?

my roof top antennae cant get 4 and 7 when i scan.i live in chatham ontario,signal is 65 to 70 on all other channels.
do i need a booster and if so which one please?Are tv tuners different on each models?

·
Super Moderator
56,441 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I spent at least 8 hours researching this and can't find a conclusive answer.

TV Fool results: TV Fool

CBET (9.1) is 17 miles from my house (I'm in the Detroit Area) and is in the "green" zone on the antenna maps. It's closer to me than any other tower. About 85% of the time, I have no issues with it but then sporadically I get a "no signal" or pixelated performance. I get about 60 digital channels with no issues (with rare exceptions) at all but the one closest to me which is one of my favorite channels causes me headaches.

- I have a Channel Master EXTREMEtenna 80 (or a prior model of this if one exists; it's about 10 yrs old and I can't remember the exact model but it looks the same.)
- It's installed on the roof with no trees or obstructions anywhere nearby.
- The one potential issue is my coaxial cable is about 100 feet, however, that doesn't seem to pose a problem for the other 60 channels I receive clearly.
- I tried using a cheap RCA amplifier 2 days ago but it didn't help at all.
- In the past, I've noticed it sometimes is worse in the evening and it *seems* (I haven't actively tracked it) like I've had the issues more in the winter months but not necessarily when there's bad weather vs good weather.
- I checked the coaxial cable and it appears to be in good shape with no corrosion at the connection. The antenna appears to be in good condition as well.
- I've made sure no LED lights or other equipment were on that might affect performance.

I first noticed the signal went out about 1-2 weeks ago but wasn't on top of it until I wanted to record a Workin Moms marathon on Tues night. All my efforts to get it working failed. (Note: the signal is a problem with and without my recording device <Channel Master Stream+> connected.)

Wed (yesterday), I noticed it was coming in almost totally clearly but had some pixelation. This in spite of dropping temps and some wind throughout the day.

Today, signal totally out again. Weather, while colder, has been fairly calm with no precipitation the past several days.

I submitted a "ticket" with CBET but their disclaimer said they can't respond to all requests. I was hoping they could shed some light on if they adjust the power at the station (something I read in my research.) That might explain why I've noticed issues in the evening or maybe even why it's fine 85% of the time and then suddenly isn't coming in at all. Does anyone here have any insight on that question?

I feel like the only options I have left are either a preamplifier or an amplifier; the research seems to suggest both depending on who it is. However, both options can actually make my situation worse which I think is very possible since the other 60 channels come in really well. It's only 9.1 that I'm fighting for! And I wouldn't know what "gain" to buy since too little or too much can both produce poor results. This could become very expensive very quickly and without any guarantees.

Desperate to resolve this soon...there's another Workin Moms marathon next Tuesday! And so much other good programming I'm missing out on. :(

THANKS!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you. Fingers crossed although it's 5 days past when that was supposed to be done and it doesn't explain the past issues. Hopefully they're just late on those updates and it'll be a perfect picture soon!

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts

I spent at least 8 hours researching this and can't find a conclusive answer.

TV Fool results: TV Fool
Hello, ILoveCBET; welcome to the forum. Thank you for the signal report. Here is a report from rabbitears.info that should be more up to date. I don't have your exact address, but based the report on my estimate of your location:
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=35127

This image is an extract from that report:

If they are working on the antenna, they are probably using the auxiliary facility which runs at only 10% of the power of the main transmitter:
https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&facid=9015500

That would account for the weaker signal now, but not the previous problems you have had with CBET.
- I have a Channel Master EXTREMEtenna 80 (or a prior model of this if one exists; it's about 10 yrs old and I can't remember the exact model but it looks the same.)
https://www.channelmaster.com/Digital_HDTV_Outdoor_TV_Antenna_p/cm-4228hd.htm

That antenna, AKA CM 4228HD, is very directional in spite of the claims made by their marketing department. What direction do you have it aimed?

Also, it is primarily designed for UHF channels, but CBET is on VHF-High channel 9.

http://www.hdtvprimer.com/ANTENNAS/TemporaryPage.html

I can't give you a guarantee, but for best reception of CBET, you would need a VHF-High antenna aimed at CBET combined with your UHF antenna using a UVSJ UHF/VHF combiner.

Stellar Labs 30-2475
https://www.newark.com/stellar-labs/30-2475/fringe-directional-antenna-vhf/dp/48Y8141

https://store.antennasdirect.com/UHF-VHF-Antenna-Combiners.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you Rabbit73 for the super thorough response! I'm a highly educated person and work in a technical field yet I feel like I need to earn a degree to understand all of this! Yikes. If there's a Dummies guide on all of this, please point me to it!

I don't understand why TV Fool (I ran it right before I submitted my question here) and Rabbitears gave different results. (I reran Rabbitears w/ my exact location and it gave the same results as yours.) Is one better than the other?

If the ChannelMaster antenna doesn't perform well with VHF, wouldn't other VHF channels also have issues? It's served me really well for all other channels except the 38.X group on occasion and some Toledo channels (which are bonus anyway.)

I do have it pointed basically towards the north and CBET is almost exactly east of me so that could be the issue but what perplexes me is why it isn't always the issue then?

What does this tell me: https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?...&facid=9015500

Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
Thank you Rabbit73 for the super thorough response! I'm a highly educated person and work in a technical field yet I feel like I need to earn a degree to understand all of this! Yikes. If there's a Dummies guide on all of this, please point me to it!
I'm glad you found something useful in my post. I also learn when I'm helping someone; it forces me to research to give an intelligent answer.:smile

I have found the hdtvprimer site very useful for the basics:
HDTV Primer

Siting the antenna

Antenna Basics

Comparing some commercially available antennas

Temporary page

I don't understand why TV Fool (I ran it right before I submitted my question here) and Rabbitears gave different results. (I reran Rabbitears w/ my exact location and it gave the same results as yours.) Is one better than the other?
TV Fool used to be the go-to site for a signal report. Their reports now have errors because they are using a defective database to generate reports. They have a very small staff that isn't able to keep up with the changes, especially now with Repack by the FCC. However, I still find their reports useful. Your TV Fool report enabled me to estimate your location with sufficient accuracy to generate a rabbitears.info report without asking you to give me your exact location in a PM for privacy. I still sometimes ask for an address in a PM so that I can look at the satellite view of a poster's location to make a more accurate analysis of a reception problem.

Form member Trip (Trip in VA on the A V S Forum) runs the rabbitears.info site. He is an EE who now works for the FCC. He saw that the TVFool reports were becoming less useful, so he started the new search feature to generate reports.
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php
If the ChannelMaster antenna doesn't perform well with VHF, wouldn't other VHF channels also have issues? It's served me really well for all other channels except the 38.X group on occasion and some Toledo channels (which are bonus anyway.)
Not necessarily. There are many factors that affect reception of a channel.

It is the real channel number (also called physical channel or RF channel) that determines what antenna is needed.

VHF-Low, real channels 2-6
VHF-High, real channels 7-13
UHF, real channels 14-51; soon to be 14-36

The virtual channel number (like 5.1 or 5-1) is a holdover from the analog TV days to maintain the identity of the station, and is what the TV displays. By convention, the virtual channel number is given in the decimal form to keep it from being confused with the real channel number.
I do have it pointed basically towards the north and CBET is almost exactly east of me so that could be the issue but what perplexes me is why it isn't always the issue then?
It absolutely is an issue. The best reception of a channel is when the proper antenna is aimed directly at the transmitter. Note how directional the UHF antenna pattern is, but that might not indicate the VHF pattern for CBET:

It isn't always an issue with marginal channels because OTA signals constantly vary in strength. I have seen a difference of 10 dB in a 30 minute period.
That is just a way to search through the FCC maze of documents. I prefer to start with the channel I'm interested in by clicking on it in the rabbitears report.
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=35127
Like this for CBET:
https://www.rabbitears.info/market.php?request=station_search&callsign=9015500#station
Click on Technical Data
Click on RabbitEars TV Query
https://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&facid=9015500
There are also links to FCC documents on that page.

Click on Transmitter Distance for CBET in report for terrain profile:
https://www.rabbitears.info/search_terrain.php?study_id=35127&row_id=8920&width=1093&scrnhgt=576

Click on Map for CBET in report for coverage map:
https://www.rabbitears.info/contour.php?appid=0000ca1ada0090155000090155000000&site=1&map=Y&coords=42.14,-83.28

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'm in Ann Arbor, with an outdoor directional VHF/UHF antenna, and have not been able to receive CBET for about a week. I sent them an email asking if the new antenna/transmission line project is complete.

·
Premium Member
1,114 Posts
I'm a highly educated person and work in a technical field yet I feel like I need to earn a degree to understand all of this! Yikes. If there's a Dummies guide on all of this, please point me to it!
Here is another primer that you might find useful, but it isn't quite as accurate as hdtvprimer:
https://otadtv.com/index.html

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in Ann Arbor, with an outdoor directional VHF/UHF antenna, and have not been able to receive CBET for about a week. I sent them an email asking if the new antenna/transmission line project is complete.
Hi Ken,

CBET responded to me today:

"Over the last month, there has been some repair work being done on our Windsor transmission site, and because of this the power has needed to be lowered to accommodate the work. This could be the cause of some of your issues.

This repair work should have since been completed, so please let us know if you are continuing to have these issues more recently."

I am going to reply back to her to let her know that I'm still having issues and I'll mention the same for you. Perhaps you'll hear back from them soon as well.

1441 - 1460 of 1501 Posts