Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 1501 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Amherstburg, ON: Looking for Antenna for Analogue tv, FM/AM Radio and HDTV

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting an antenna that picks up anologue tv channels, radio (FM and AM) and HDTV. Is there such an antenna out there and if so where can I get one and how much money am I looking at? I live near Windsor, ON and live in an area with no cable and want my local stations, thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi
If you take a look in the other tread in this section you will find a tread called download decision chart in pdf.Just download it and it will help you get the equipment you need.Stampeder is a PRO.By going with 2 separates antenna it would be better than a combo but always depending of the money you have to invest and the place you have

J

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Also be aware that OTA TV/FM gear will not help you with the very low frequencies of AM Radio, for which it was not designed.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Also be aware that OTA TV/FM gear will not help you with the very low frequencies of AM Radio, for which it was not designed.
I agree. You will need a separate antenna for AM but since the FM band is between channels 6 and 7, most combo VHF/UHF antennas will also work for FM (though a few have an FM trap to filter out the FM signals).

Contrary to what the marketing departments for many antenna manufacturers want people to believe, there is no such thing as a "digital" antenna. All antennas will work with both digital and analog signals as long as they are designed for the correct frequency band (i.e. VHF, UHF, FM, etc).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Amherstburg, ON

Hey Everyone,

I am looking at getting an antenna that picks up anologue tv channels, radio (FM and AM) and HDTV. Is there such an antenna out there and if so where can I get one and how much money am I looking at? I live near Windsor, ON and live in an area with no cable and want my local stations, thanks!
Hi I also live in aburg...... I just purchased a channel master 4221 and pointed it in the vicinity of Detroit, and viola! 16 channels found. No dropouts so far. I got everything needed to install this thing on my roof for $100. Love HD... funny thing just happened over the weekend... I lost channel 30 and 38... but had them for the first few days.... but all other channels are still there. I was also at a signal strength of 98% but it has dropped off some now. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I live in Windsor, and my home is about 20 kms south of the Detroit river. What's the best setup to receive the local HD and VHF OTA channels? I have an ATSC tuner built-in to my plasma. I would probably use a 1 or 1.5 metre tripod on top of my 1 storey house.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Hi Darren J:

If you haven't already, please take the time to read the Digital Home OTA Forum Knowledge Base and FAQ, located here:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41102

Also take the time to read the downloadable OTA Antenna Chart for a comparison of antennas:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37629

These have been provided by stampeder, the Moderator of the OTA Forum and they are a wealth of knowledge for what you will require to receive OTA. And with you being in Windsor, you are at the nexus of some of the strongest OTA signals in N. America. Good luck.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Darren J a quick reply since Cyclism posted those helpfull links.

My recommendation would be a channelmaster Crossfire series. The 3677 is the most compact and efficient Vhf & Uhf rated at 45 miles both. This shloud be more than what you need to get all the Detroit locals in Vhf and Uhf.

This is the same antenna I ordered for my sister and her friend in the British Virgin Island.

http://www.pctinternational.com/channelmaster/antennas_outdoor_ultrahicrossfire.html

·
Registered
372 Posts
Darren J,

Hey I live in the (Puce) area abou 25 kms away from Windsor. Using a 3 ft tripod on my roof, uhf / vhf combo antenna, rotator and uhf amplifier. I get all the Detroit locals at 80 % to 100% and can pull in the Flint Michigan PBS station without any problems. When I spin the antenna around to Ohio, I can easily pull in Cleveland broadcasts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the links and info. I did read the links earlier, but it's all Greek to me until I read up more on this technology. I have an idea what I need to do now though.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
kris1 said:
The practice of up-converting SD signal banned!
This is off thread so I will tread gently here. There are both pros and cons to up-converting SD, but I don't think it should be banned. What should be banned is calling up-converted SD, HD. City TV for example should not be allowed to call their news HD since from what I gather, most of it is up-converted SD with only a tiny portion (the anchors?) in HD.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Ya, we're bordering the topic here so I'm going to suggest to kris1 that there are lots of resources here at DHC in the Cable TV forums to learn what other folks are saying about those issues that were raised in post #114.

One last thing, the Japanese had an analogue HDTV-style system that was not widely available, but they abandoned it for a digital one in the late 1990s that is not compliant with ATSC or DVB-T.

Back to the original thread topic... :)

·
Registered
372 Posts
Getting OTA DTV and Analog finally

I've had the Sammy STR-151,351 and was using the 451 till now. I now am using the dish 811 OTA tuner. Finally one unit that pulls in both the HD local s from Detroit , Ohio and the analog locals like 9,16,42.(Canadian broadcasts).
If any of you are looking in the area want to do the same with a single unit, try a dish 811.It also upconverts which gives a little better video.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Not quite - just wait til you lose your satellite signal due to poor weather - bingo - thanks to Charlie Ergan - your Echostar receiver will lock out the OTA ATSC signal

·
Registered
1 Posts
LaSalle, ON

This is for Windsor, has anyone had much success with an Indoor Antenna, if so which one ????
New to HDTV and I have been quite successful with a $20 RCA indoor antenna from Canadian Tire. In LaSalle I can pick up everything except the Detroit NBC (4.1). Is there a reason this one is trickier than the other to nail down? Probably going to go rooftop soon because this is driving me crazy!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
indoor attenna

i use a indoor attena and get nbc at 82% most of the time.i use a terk attanna i bought from curciut city in detroit it sort of looks like a tree.if u point your attenna at the gm building u should get all the detroit channels except 38 cause they use that building to broadcast from.i get channel 2at 89% channel 4 at82% channel 7 at 91% 20 at 100% 50 at 98% 56 at 96% and 62 at 89% and at nite i get 38 at 66%

·
Registered
71 Posts
Windsor: CM4221 or 4228 for Detroit and Locals?

I am in Windsor and was wondering which antenna is better for me in my location. cm4221 or cm4228

I would like to get Detroit channels & the CBC Windsor & the "A" channel form Windsor if that is possible without a rotor.

How many extra channels would I get if I bought a rotor? Mounting the ant on the roof (approx 25 in air).

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
perry, in your case a CM4228 would be overkill given your location. That's a good problem to have... :)

I recommend either a Delhi 4BT-1483 or a Channel Master 4221. I cannot comment on what a rotor would do for you but my hunch is that you won't need one. I think you will not have much trouble finding a fixed-mount "sweet spot" at which the Detroit stations come in strongly via the front while the Windsor stations come in strongly via the side or back lobes. This is just my gut instinct, not a proven fact. Also it is probably a good idea to have an attenuator on hand to kill off some of the signal strength if it causes problems.

In your case you probably do not need to go so high (25') on your roof unless you are trying to clear the tops of trees or other blockages. You might want to experiment with a simple tripod or chimney mount at first if the surroundings are clear.

Here's the Ontario OTA Parts/Sales/Service/Installers thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=23984

61 - 80 of 1501 Posts