Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 1501 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Lost channel info (indcation) last night Detroit locals ?

Using a Sammy t-351 with dvi connection in the Windsor area. I'm watching Detroit locals. I pressed the info button to maybe see what shows were on that night. Nothing listed then,after that when changing channels the indication of channels and subs no longer appears on the screen. How can just pressing info do that ? All stations affected. I can't even bring up the menu anymore. Should I re set unit by unplugging the power ?

·
Registered
372 Posts
channel info came back

Unplugged unit without any repair of the problem. Then replaced batteries in the remote still nothing. All of a sudden 5 minutes later all returned to normal. Don't know what happened but all appears fine again ? Was it the broadcast and not a hardware issue ?

·
Registered
731 Posts
OTA Antenna Wiring For New House in Leamington, ON

Im bulding a house and need advise on how to run the RG6.

Can I split an OTA Antenna 4 ways? How much signal will I lose? What kind of splitter should I use?

How many (I assume 1) outlets does a nice hi quality OTA HIDEF antenna have?

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Hi you can use any good 4 way splitter rated from 5/50 to 900 or even 1000mhz.

You would need a pre amp like the winegard AP4700 that has a 19db gain or a more powerfull channel master 7775 that has 26db gain.

I find that with the channel master 7775 on a Dish 811 hd receiver I had to reduce the signal by 19db if not Pbs would get pixelated.

On the LG 4200a I have o reduce the signal 6db if not Cbc pixelates now and then.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nice,

I ran 1 main wire for an OTA antenna, 2 for a HIDEF Sat. (Prob * choice), 1 for a main cable (probably never use), all to a main distribution center.

From there, I ran 2 Cables to each place I might even think about watching TV!

Glad to know I'm covered.

I am approx 40 kms from Detroit (Less than 30 miles) Leamington, ont.

What do you think is my best bet for antenna??

MY TV's both have HDTV Tuners so they will be wired from the splitter to the TV.

·
Registered
354 Posts
If I were you I would run 1 or 2 additional wires from outside to the main distribution centre - 4 for satellite + 1 OTA. This is to future proof the setup as one does not know how the satellite signals will be sent from the dish when triple satellite service starts (if ever). Also run a piece of cat 5 cable to each outlet - cheap futureproofing while house is under construction - a real pain to do later.

As for antenna, you will see lots of houses in Windsor area with a UHF/VHF combo mounted on a tripod with a rotor. It used to sell for around $300 This is good enough to get Detroit ATSC channels. You may want something bigger if you like to "hunt" for Cleveland/Toledo/Flint stations.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Kgeorge I would say from your location if you want to keep cost down get a channel master 4221 it has a wide angle of coverage and should be able to pull in all the detroit stations.

I would recommend the lower power Winegard AP4700.

Since you are so close to the us take a drive over and pick them up. :)

Just make sure that you view pointing north west is clear. :)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
In each room where you want to have TV, Phone, Data, etc services install a box and wire it with 2 Rg6 coax runs and 2 Cat5 data/phone cable runs to the distribution center... this is a central area where all you cable comes to one point like at the electrical box in the basement.

Using wall plates like this you can later configure the Cat5 & Coax for what ever services you need at this location.

Typical Distibution Center

You may also what to think about running wiring for Audio in every room and Home Theater. I would recommend you run 8 Rg6 lines from the roof and a #8 ground for the satellite & OTA. This will support satellite from 3 orbits. (Bell from 91* & 82* and a future location) plus 2 for off air antennas. Don’t forget about possible antenna rotator motor. A Cat5 line will do the job just fine.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Some more antenna and gear advice for new Leamington house

Just adding that from Leamington you will of course get Detroit but if you invest in deep fringe gear on a rotor and tower (I'd say a preamped Channel Master 4228 UHF and a preamped Wade-Delhi 307 VHF/FM on a CM9251a Rotor atop a 20 foot tower anchored to your soffit overhang) you will get Toledo OH and Cleveland too, and in the other direction London. TwilightCowboy mentioned Flint MI, too, which I did not know was a possibility too. What a choice of stations!

If you just want Detroit, I'd second Yaamon's CM4221 choice and I would not bother with a rotor but I'd also add a Wade-Delhi 306 VHF/FM to cover remaining VHF channels but also for the FM radio from Windsor/Detroit. Mounted on a tripod or other such roof mount, you'll do great.

About the splitter idea: since you're stringing RG6 throughout you should be fine for strong signal, but still I would recommend that you rough-in a place for a distribution amp on your patch panel (with AC socket for it) just in case. Once you've got things ready for testing you could see if the signal at each end point outlet using the splitter is strong enough. If you find that the signal is too weak you could just swap the splitter for a low noise distribution amp and that should fix things. I would test with the splitter first and not go directly with a distro amp because you don't want to overdrive your system right from the start.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
kgeorge78 I looked up on a map your exact location.

If I was you I would definately go with a 4228 and a 9521 rotor like stampeder said. Cleveland has good HD channels.

Then on Sunday if you are a Nfl fan you can watch several games.

·
Registered
731 Posts
thanks for the replys fellows! Great help.
Tomorrow, I'll run 2 more cables outside.

Can i get the antenna and amp anywhere local or an online retailer?

EBay maybe?

·
Registered
372 Posts
OTA reception in Leamington area

kgeorge78,

I'm from Belle River ,other side of the county. Cheaper to run extra cables now and easier. If you have extra cables who sais you have to use them right.
I also get all Detroit channels including Flint Michigan. I also by turning my using the rotator bring in the Ohio cities previously mentioned. All I use is a vhf/uhf combo mounted on the roof with a 3ft tripod. I also purchased a uhf signal amplifier from "lighthouse antenna" in Windsor. ($60) out the door.IT was fabricatted by them, half the price of the CM he had. Did not really need the amp to get any of these channels but hoped to maintain a solid signal when watching them.
I use a quality 4 way splitter on my OTA cable coming in without any problems. I would like it if we could get London but I never have. I think that if all you want is to watch the mentioned channels no need to go overboard. Good luck and enjoy the free HD
Send me a pm if you want to see how my signals are before purchasing other equipment.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Wow probak118 you really hit the nail on the head for him with that info. Do you think that London stations might be possible with a 20 foot tower and deep fringe gear from Leamington?

·
Registered
372 Posts
London signal from Leamington ?

Stampeder,

I also wondered if maybe I was doing something wrong not to get London as you mentioned was a possibility. As kgeorge78 mentioned being in Leamington he's right on the water (Lake Erie). All he has to do is look across and see Ohio.
You guys are the experts through experience here. London, unfortunately is not inline over the water for us in Essex County. Although the terain is as flat as a pancake here I have never got any signals from the east or north east. My roof mounted antenna probably is 20ft in the air with no obstructions. It would be nice to finally get a Canadian station in hd.
Anyone have a cm 4228 I can borrow (Ha Ha). I'll gladly volunteer my time for the good of all !! If you guys think it could work, I might be interested in a good used cm 4228 if anyone has one for sale at a good price !

·
Registered
354 Posts
atomicorbit said:
Could anyone please comment on the possiblility of doing so, and/or with what tower height and equipment you would reccomended for my area?
Most of the Cleveland DTV channels are at low power, especially to the north as many have the same assignments as SW Ontario NTSC channels (10, 28,31). NBC HD Cleveland is on the skip channel (2) but the PQ is crap as they have 3 SD signals with the HD.

Even with a 60 foot tower and separate VHF and deep fringe UHF antenna with booster you are not likely to get year round Detroit ATSC reception. Detroit has the only high powered ATSC channels on Lake Erie. 41 (ABC Detroit) could be problematic as you are looking thru 42 Chatham signal.

As for the warmer weather, you will get oodles of DTV including some Toledo, Youngstown and Erie channels.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Ouch, that's not looking very hopeful. I wonder if its the geography of southwestern Ontario that hampers the Detroit signals... although it seems fairly flat from what I remember. I'll have to look up the Detroit channels' broadcast contours on the FCC site.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
stampeder said:
I'll have to look up the Detroit channels' broadcast contours on the FCC site.
Decent fringe setups in the Blenheim/Chatham/Dresden areas (+ all parts westward) get great Detroit plus some Flint and Toledo ATSC reception except for Ch 41 (ABC). That extra 55km easternly in Rodney makes a big difference.

I'm about 20 km n/e of there. Great summer ATSC reception - I've logged Pittsburg and Indianapolis when the tropo was strong. What I do is get SC in winter and go on "summer holidays" when the tropo returns.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,878 Posts
Twilight Cowboy said:
Even with a 60 foot tower and separate VHF and deep fringe UHF antenna with booster you are not likely to get year round Detroit ATSC reception.
I wonder if a Deepest Fringe setup would do: two stacked and copper-joined CM4228s up about 60 feet feeding into a Winegard AP8275 preamp on a rotor, with a Wade Delhi 307 for VHF... pulling out all the stops for those last few extra db of gain.

Is that just a pipe dream?

21 - 40 of 1501 Posts