Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 2360 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
London is probably too far away from US cities

Any1 else in London pick up ch 56 (CW Cleveland) yesterday/today ?
Emerald_Boar , isn't London too far to pickup any channels from Cleveland?
I think London might have a better chance at picking up channels from Erie, PA (since it is closer to Erie, PA than Cleveland, OH)? Perhaps if/when those DTV channels from Erie, PA go full ERP (~Feb 17, 2009?), London & area may be able to pickup some of those channels??

But, London is probably too far away from Cleveland, OH and Erie, PA so I doubt Londoners would be able to tune into any US DTV (or analog) stations.... but, maybe not? Which OTA antenna are you using? Is it roof mounted?

London & area might have just Suntv as the only OTA HD channel for a long time. I was hoping at least CBC would go HD on CBLN, but I posted the reply I received from CBC in Nov 2008 on Digitalhome forum a while back, which doesn't look promising.

On the up side, we will have to wait & see what decisions are made by the CRTC in April 2009 and September 2009 regarding OTA channels.

·
Registered
747 Posts
well BCF.
WBNX is bouncing nicely off of ionosphere right now (at least for me).

This is a seasonal event where the sunspot/Atmosphere reflects the signal allowing for greater range.

Im using generic 4 bay bowtie reflector (eaglestar pro) + phillips amp (22 Db) pointed towards Global Sarina. Currently the aerial is in the attic. But soon it should be mounted outside at 25 ft.

Well, technically according to tvfool.com the signal from WBNX is stronger then 4 Erie stations at my house (around the old vic hospital). However, at my sister house (White oaks area) the Erie station are much better to pick up then WBNX. So I guess it depends where you are in the city.

Hopefully CTV Kitchener will be in HD for the winter games.
Also, when random scanning i noticed that CTS was testing channel 38.

Read ya l8r.
Al

·
Registered
260 Posts
detroit digitals vs analogs

I'm curious as to whether anyone in london is picking up digital signals from detroit, and if so what the strength of those signals is compared to the strength of the analog signals
(what I'm getting at is I'm wondering what odds are of me being able to pick up detroit digitals are given that I can get the analogs only some of the time,
and whether it's worth spending $$$ on a digital-to-analog converter.
My apartment faces WNW so I don't have a shot at the cleveland/erie signals)

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
ppauper:

Read this thread to see how far from detroit/windsor, people are getting signals reliably.
Try building the Double Bay Gray-Hoverman (instructions through this site) and see what happens. If you are rich you could stack a couple of CM 4228 with a pre-amp and see what happens, or get a Wade Parabolic. Good Luck.

·
Registered
260 Posts
ppauper:

Read this thread to see how far from detroit/windsor, people are getting signals reliably.
Try building the Double Bay Gray-Hoverman (instructions through this site) and see what happens. If you are rich you could stack a couple of CM 4228 with a pre-amp and see what happens, or get a Wade Parabolic. Good Luck.
I have actually stacked a couple of CM4228s indoors.
I was asking about the strength of Detroit digitals vs the strength of the analogs

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
ppauer:

It depends, check the FCC data base, should be through FAQ thread of this site, and see what DET stations are transmitting at (ana/dig?). If you can, get the antennas outside and up as high as possible.

·
Registered
290 Posts
well BCF.
WBNX is bouncing nicely off of ionosphere right now (at least for me).

This is a seasonal event where the sunspot/Atmosphere reflects the signal allowing for greater range.

Im using generic 4 bay bowtie reflector (eaglestar pro) + phillips amp (22 Db) pointed towards Global Sarina. Currently the aerial is in the attic. But soon it should be mounted outside at 25 ft.

Well, technically according to tvfool.com the signal from WBNX is stronger then 4 Erie stations at my house (around the old vic hospital). However, at my sister house (White oaks area) the Erie station are much better to pick up then WBNX. So I guess it depends where you are in the city.

Hopefully CTV Kitchener will be in HD for the winter games.
Also, when random scanning i noticed that CTS was testing channel 38.

Read ya l8r.
Al
Emerald_Boar,

Thanks for the information. I'm just learning about OTA reception of TV channels.

I have built a DIY 4-bay bowtie antenna. It works well for the local area OTA channels, as I have it placed just behind the tv in the house (using it as an "indoor" antenna). I can pull in Suntv (19.1 & 19.2 DTV), CBC (CBLN), Omni 1&2, A-channel (CFPL), CTS, and a few other channels consistently in the London area.
Unfortunately, E! (CHCH, Alvinston, Ont), CTV (Oil Springs), CTV (Kitchener), Global (Paris, Ont), and Global (Oil Springs) are snowy with good audio or very snowy and poor or no audio. Maybe if I place the antenna in the attic, reception of these channels will be much better!

I will also need to see what other OTA channels I can pickup if I place my 4-bay bowtie OTA antenna in the attic.... I never thought Erie, PA or Cleveland, OH OTA channels could be picked up in the London area.

Thanks for the information

·
Registered
747 Posts
BCF, do you have a pre amp?

The idea behind the pre amp is to strengthen the signal.

Im picking up A (10) CTS (14), TVO (18), SUN (19), Om2 (20), City (31) CBC (40), E! (51), CBCf (53), Om1 (69) Cleary.
Plus, i can also watch CTV (13), GTV (29), CTV (42).

My only issues right now are A [ghosting, watch it off rabbit ears], City [theres something wrong with the setup "image is inverted", watch it off rabbit ears] & GTV (6) [antenna doesnt pick this up; i can watch GTV on 29 for now].

In regards about Erie. It should be possible to pick up a couple Erie channels on a regular basis. Erie is about 85 miles from my place. And the length of Lake Erie is about 40 miles.

Also, you may be able to pick up Channels from Detroit, Cleveland or Buffalo area.

read ya l8r,
Al

PS. if you are running cable from your attic. Use RG-6 Cable instead of RG-59. It is well worth the cost.

·
Registered
290 Posts
No, I don't actually have a pre amp. I'm just learning all about OTA, thanks to Digitalhome. :)

I'm not sure where I can purchase a pre amp. But, I did go to Home Depot awhile back and saw a RCA 10dB 5-900MHz Amplifier. Can this RCA amplifier model be considered and used as a "pre amp"??
Since post-transition OTA frequencies will be from ch2 54mhz to ch51 692mhz, perhaps it may work (at least as a substitute for a preamp). I have read a little bit about the Channel Master 7777 & Winegard AP8275, which are marketed as preamps. Not sure where to purchase those either.

That's great news that a preamp will allow clearing up current Global and CTV stations, and at least pick up some Erie and Cleveland stations OTA. As I learn more, and get the equipment together, hopefully WFXP (FOX) from Erie, PA can be received. This is awesome, as I never expected US OTA HDTV stations to be available in the London area.

Yes, RG6 cabling all the way.... I noticed an improvement in video quality on my standard definition digital box, after replacing the existing RG59 cabling with RG6.

Thanks again for the info, Emerald_Boar !!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I moved my 4-bay bowtie antenna from behind my tv into the attic for testing. Pointing the antenna approximately SW, Global (Oil Springs) on ch.29 & CTV (Oil Springs) on ch.42 improved, but still were both a little snowy, but the audio was excellent. E! (CHCH from Alvinston) on ch.51 also improved.

I did some further tests, repositioning the antenna in the attic by pointing it approximately due South, then SSE, then SE, then ESE, and finally due East (and West).

Pointing the antenna approximately SE and SSE, I was surprised that I could pickup WJET (ABC from Erie, PA) on ch.24 and WICU (NBC from Erie, PA) on ch.12. Although both channels came in really snowy, but the audio was good. Both channels are SD. I believe on Feb 17/09, WJET goes full-power HD... I'll have to retest. :)

Unfortunately, I could not pickup (FOX) WFXP-DT 22.1, (PBS) WQLN-DT 50.1 from Erie, PA, or (CW) WBNX-DT 30.1 from Cleveland, OH. I was hoping that I could have picked up WFXP-DT and WBNX-DT....

After some reading and research, I will need a preamp for my setup. It should clear up both snowy Global (ch.29) and CTV (ch.42), and just maybe pickup WFXP-DT and WBNX-DT.

The RCA "amplifier" I saw at Home Depot, mentioned in the post above, is probably a distribution amplifier, and not considered a preamp. Is this correct?

Emerald_Boar, can you suggest a place to purchase a Channel Master 7777 or 7778 preamp? Around the London/St.Thomas/Ingersoll/Woodstock area would be ideal.... I cannot seem to find a retailer anywhere. Thanks in advance to anyone else that might know where to purchase a CM7777 or CM7778.

·
Registered
851 Posts
BCF's London OTA results

BCF,
thanks for the updating on what is possible here in London.
What part of London are you in? I live in the North East end near Sunningdale and Adelaide.
I too would like to know if it is really possible to get Americian OTA reliably (Erie). I mean according to TvFool I live about 100 miles for decent Americian OTA which is deep fringish.
I agree a pre amp would assist but to what extent?
When I was on Channel Master's web site it lists a dealer in Dorchester. Perhaps he would have some pre amps for the local area.
I anxiously await your results
Help me Obi-wan Kanobee, you my only hope....
Let me know your results...

·
Registered
340 Posts
I am also interested in your results since I would like something different then rogers for a bit of a change. I'm east of London and TvFool puts me about 85 miles from Erie.

·
Registered
246 Posts
PanaMark and cm023.....did you type in London in the "Search This Thread" box ?
to see all of the past experiences with other London folk.

·
Registered
747 Posts
The idea behind the amp is to stick it as close as possible to the aerial. So i guess the RCA amplifier can be used as a preamp. Make sure its not to close to the aerial. (suppose to be like 1m from the aerial.)

Good Luck,
Al

PS. If anyone wants to see an Aerial pointed to Erie. Theres an EconoLodge at York and Adelaide. Its 2 yagis stacked one on another. Also theres a precision dish on top of the mast. I guess pointed at Cleveland/Detroit?

PPS. Amplifier can not be used outdoors unless it says for outdoor use. Thats where a "real" pre amp has an advantage. You have a power unit that transmits power threw the coaxial to the pre amp. Where pre amp is attached to the mast. About 1m away from the aerial. An indoor amp has to remain indoors which can be a few meters away from the aerial.

·
Registered
851 Posts
London OTA talk

PS. If anyone wants to see an aerial pointed to Erie, there is an Econo Lodge at York and Adelaide . It has 2 yagis stacked one on another. Also there is a precision dish on top of the mast. I guess pointed towards Cleveland/Detroit?
Considering there really are not much antenna's here in the city, I have seen this antenna you are talking about. When you have the OTA fever you notice these things. On that note; here in the North end of the city near Medway and Highbury near Ardiel Electronic's there is a row of homes that have some of the most fantastic UHF antenna's I have seen. They look like a Wade built circular style deep fringe style. They are mounted on towers and I am sure they have been there for years. It almost looks like there was a deal at the time where a whole bunch of them bought them at the same time.
With this in mind I am compeled to think these were the cats bum, back in the day.

Indeed I have performed seaches for results of OTA in London. I am trying to take this all in and broaden my knowledge in this field. Regardless of weither I do confirm the possiblity of Americian OTA in London I think this summer I am gonna get myself set up with an roof mounted antenna and do some DXing.

My wife continues to think this is a pipe dream, but I will prover her wrong.

Thanks for all the wonderful insights.
Keep up the great work
Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
290 Posts
Emerald_Boar, thanks for the information regarding the setup and placement of pre amps. I didn't realize there was another forum for 'where to buy'. After looking in there, I couldn't find your info regarding pre amps... was the information just removed from your last post in this forum?

PanaMark, just do some testing, by repositioning your antenna.
I found I can pickup WICU (NBC, 12) and WJET (ABC, 24) by pointing my antenna SE or SSE. Both of these stations are snowy, but the audio is good.
I moved my antenna into the attic, as I could not pickup these two Erie, PA stations when my 4-bay bowtie was placed behind my tv.
I still cannot pickup WFXP, WSEE, or WQLN from Erie. Apparently, not all Erie, PA stations are at full-power and this won't happen until June 12th

I'll test WSEE, as it is making the switch to OTA HD tonight at 11:59:59pm. Hopefully I can pickup WSEE when it goes digital tomorrow.

Regarding Emerald_Boar's earlier post, I cannot pickup Cleveland, OH WBNX on channel 30.1. It is broadcasting OTA HD at full-power. Since I was testing, I pointed my antenna towards Oil Springs (for ch 29 & 42), and repositioned it it slighly south-wards.... still nothing.

cm023, pretty much all the channels we can pickup OTA are already available on Rogers. The benefit I see from using an antenna, it that once stations go HD, you will not need to rent/buy a digital box if you have a second hdtv.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Gang:

I've been following this thread for months and I had to chide in. There is also a nifty OTA antenna setup on a tower at a motel on the west side of Wellington Road just north of the Tim Hortons (north of Southdale Road) almost across the road from the fire hall in London. I've admired that arrangement for quite some time and wondered if the motel owners still use that arrangement. It looks like they have a yagi up for channel 6 Global, a parabolic dish for Erie UHF stations, a yagi for channel 13 CTV out of Kitchener, etc.

I could conceivably see towers and OTA antennas making a come back when the transition to digital is complete.

Why pay for something, when you can receive it free OTA?

81 - 100 of 2360 Posts