Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 2352 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Actually, I receive Detroit as well, but not as consistently as Cleveland. I think that the signal coming across lake Erie is what really makes the difference. During the summer months, Cleveland will be at 90 to 100% on the signal meter for days at a time. The best time for Detroit is during the evening and into the morning. I receive Buffalo as well, but not every day. Again, those stations are usually seen in the evening if they are coming in.

Regards,

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, Sir. It's an old Rat Shack job I bought in 1992. 25dB on VHF and 20dB on UHF. It goes to a 3 way splitter, with the -3.5dB tap connected to the US Digital STB. The other two lines (-7dB) connect to the TV for analog and to my FM receiver. I can hardly wait till the Erie stations start running high power, because if the digitals are as strong as the analog stations, I'll get them all the time. I wish I got Cleveland 24/7!

·
Registered
793 Posts
i hope you aren't judging your results based on going through a 3-way splitter.

remove that splitter, and your signal strengths will all go way up. I've been getting the area stations easily the last few days. WQLN has been 100% for three nights now. FOX 22 and ABC 58 also come in, althogh i've never recieved NBC digital on 52. This must be extremely low power.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I need the splitter, because I also use the antenna for analog TV and FM DXing. I'm disabled, and it's too much of a pain to switch cables all the time. Even with the splitter out of line, the Erie's still don't lock all the time. As I said, the analog stations are all very good, so I'm convinced that it's a low power issue. As I mentioned, the -3.5dB side of the splitter feeds the DTV box. 3dB isn't a heck of a lot considering that the amp is 20dB on UHF. The cable run to the DTV box is quite short, to limit feed line loss. I'm about 70 miles from Erie and about 90 miles from Cleveland. BTW, the nights that you had Erie at 100%, I had Cleveland @ 100%.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I would agree that with the energy of your amp that splitter would not be part of the locking trouble on digital stations. Given the quality of your equipment, your results are about the top of what can be expected for your location.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HDTV OTA in London, Ontario

I wonder if there is any HDTV OTA signal available in London, Ontario.
Got the TV but can't swallow the Rogers/Bell subscription price...
Regards, Kris

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi and welcome here - you'll find some previous London posts in this thread that give you your answer, but in brief it doesn't look like you have options these days.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I wonder if there is any HDTV OTA signal available in London, Ontario
Forget it. I am 20 miles west of you and on 25 foot higher ground.

With the best (and most expensive cost ~ $1.7K) setup - 64 tower, rotator, BT preamp, + 6' Channel Master UHF dish; I can't get reliable ATSC except in the heat of summer.

Besides distance from the US transmitters; another big problem is the lackies at Industry Canada who allow every 2 bit broadcaster in Canada to use the same frequencies for NTSC repeaters thus blocking the US digital signals.

Cheapest solution for you would be Star Choice Essentials package which will get you US Nets + CBC/CTV/SRC/TSN in HD for $34/month

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
987654321 said:
With the best (and most expensive cost ~ $1.7K) setup - 64 tower, rotator, BT preamp, + 6' Channel Master UHF dish; I can't get reliable ATSC except in the heat of summer.
Wow, that is a top-of-the-line effort you made! My heart goes out to you that the results didn't work out. There are folks in Haldimand, Chatham, Belleville, and many other places who would kill for a rig like yours! :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
No OTA HDTV in London

Thank you for quick reply gentlemen... I read the thread before posting and had the feeling that NO is the answer to my question. Needless to say the post by 987654321 put a big damper in my spirits. Seems like you read my mind there... I was quietly thinking about a fancy antenna set-up... not any more.

Sun TV: roger1818 I just send in my comments to the CRTC. (In support of the digital broadcast application, none on analog) I have quite a few more... My biggest annoyance is with the fact that they allow the cable operators to insist on equipping every customer with a ******* cable box. So what is wrong with using the build in ATSC tuner? Why is there no separate HDTV choice with any of the providers? In other words: why would you allow Mr Rogers/Bell/StarChoice to insist that I pay for a horse when I want to drive a car? The other nagging problem is lack of true HD content on most HD channels - City TV is particularly bad. There should be a review of what exactly is going on and licenses revoked. The practice of up-converting SD signal banned! The HDTV is NOT anything new. The Japanese had it in the 1980s.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Forget it. I am 20 miles west of you and on 25 foot higher ground.

Besides distance from the US transmitters; another big problem is the lackies at Industry Canada who allow every 2 bit broadcaster in Canada to use the same frequencies for NTSC repeaters thus blocking the US digital signals.

Cheapest solution for you would be Star Choice Essentials package which will get you US Nets + CBC/CTV/SRC/TSN in HD for $34/month
Can you get Erie? I'm about the same distance as you from Erie, and can usually get WQLN reliably. Once the erie stations up their power (and go hd, sd rite now) they should make NBC, CBS, ABC and PBS available to London area in HD.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Can you get Erie?
No. I am actually closer to Cleveland. Can get 3/5/8 NTSC just fine. But the Cleveland ATSC signals are on or adjacent local NTSC channels.

The Detroit ATSC channels (except 20 due to Omni repeater) come in great in the summer along with some Flint and Toledo.

·
Registered
641 Posts
987654321:

I'm envious! I used to live in west London 30 years ago when the only local television station was the channel 10 station. Back then with a good antenna, rotor and preamp we used to get all sorts of stateside channels. But the biggest challenge I had was preamp overload when new transmitters started up in London.

Those were the days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
St. Thomas, ON (south of London)

I just got a bell HD 6100, what antenna would I need to get free ota hd_sd tv?

thanks

Terry

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi Terry, I don't imagine you'd have much different reception than the folks who have posted in this thread from in and around London, except that being further south there might be a difference but I doubt it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
West Lorne, ON

Hello Folks
Bought a house that has a tower allready but need to upgrade the antenna/controller/amp/motor.
I live by Lake erie south of west lorne,ONT. I'd like to find out which antenna and motor would be best for me. Should i get UHF/VHF or just UHF?
What would be a decent price to have all that installed?
As i dont know anything about TV Antennas, any info i can get is appreciated.
That way i wont be totally glueless when i get estimates.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
78vette:

Welcome to the DHC Forums.

You've definitely come to the right forum. My suggestion is that you read many of the exiting threads to get answers to your questions. Also, if you haven't already, take the time to read the OTA Forum Knowledge Base & FAQ to find information on antenna choices, etc... as well as this OTA Reception thread to get pointers on the setups of others in your area.

OTA Knowledge Base & FAQ:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=41102

OTA Antenna Chart:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=37629

·
Registered
58 Posts
OTA in London and area?

curious about OTA here, as I'm on the verge of buying an HDTV w/ the correct tuner (don't worry, mods, I read the technical FAQs on it). The last time I messed around w/ OTA was back in the early-'90s on a rotary dial TV getting some fuzzy Detroit stations (channel 20, what was WXON) mainly during those hot summer nights. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm in London too. It does not look promising at this point unless things have been updated.
I'd sure like to be able to get some ota hdtv stations before spending my extra cash.

21 - 40 of 2352 Posts