Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
2381 - 2385 of 2385 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Like I said, it was an experiment. I used it for a while on my dining room TV, but eventually went with an Amazon Fire Stick.
I'm not making fun of you, I bought one like this as well and sent it back. I did what I had to do and went up on the roof for a permanent solution to get OTA reliably.

You shouldn't have given up on OTA because if you got some stations with what amounts to being less than rabbit ears, then you'd probably get all your locals and complement the Firestick with a better outdoor antenna. I get around 50-60 stations in a border town and also have Firestick/Roku and IPTV box to stream everything else.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
No offense taken. I too have IPTV, Roku and Firestick. When I left Rogers cable and switched to Execulink Link TV, I only got the one STB for my main TV, so Was playing around with different ways to watch the news on my dining room TV at breakfast. I also tried an RCA antenna from Amazon with similar miserable results. I guess they're only good in cities with lots of nearby transmitters.

·
Registered
317 Posts
No offense taken. I too have IPTV, Roku and Firestick. When I left Rogers cable and switched to Execulink Link TV, I only got the one STB for my main TV, so Was playing around with different ways to watch the news on my dining room TV at breakfast. I also tried an RCA antenna from Amazon with similar miserable results. I guess they're only good in cities with lots of nearby transmitters.
I'm in a city within 14-20 miles of a major US market's transmitters and those indoor antennas are basically useless for me. They pick up channels, but half of them only and walk around the house, then you lose them.

A knockoff 4 bay antenna for $25-40 installed outside would most likely pickup all the UHF channels you need, then you can watch local News. I can't even get the low power CTV2 repeater with rabbit ears and it's a whole 3 miles away! Need an antenna with higher gain, installed outdoors to do it.

My buddy bought a little spaceship style antenna and it works okay, he gets the stations he wanted (when we raised it outside). You don't have to spend that much if you get an outdoor antenna and have Line of Sight.

I have the Primecables 4 Bay with a VHF element at the top, I have 2 stations on the VHF I need to get. Cost about $25 on amazon. Had to install outside to get good reception.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hey all -- is there a local forum to swap gear? I thought there was a forum on digital home but i can't find it... Buying new is crazy now!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hey all -- is there a local forum to swap gear? I thought there was a forum on digital home but i can't find it... Buying new is crazy now!
Yes, doesn't look like much traffic though. Last post was 4 months ago. Might be better off with Kijiji or Facebook Marketplace.

2381 - 2385 of 2385 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.