Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2361 - 2374 of 2374 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
As I posted earlier, I'm just south of Woodstock and was getting 4 channels with an indoor antenna, TVO, Global, City and CTV Kitchener. CTV Kitchener was most problematic and would occasionally pixelate. Towards the end of summer CTV Kitchener disappeared altogether, no signal, no matter where I re-positioned the antenna. Since I only watched this TV for the news during breakfast and lunch (I have IPTV on my main TV), I'd toggle between Global and City. Because of the recent nice weather I thought I'd try Ch 13 (CTV Kitchener) again and it was back, but breaking up and pixelated. But Ch 28 (TVO) was completely gone, no signal, although it was working great only days ago. So I re-positioned the antenna again and Ch 13 came in great, but no 28 (TVO). Is anyone else missing TVO?

·
Registered
69 Posts
TVO moved signal to 22 and you should rescan your TV and get it back. I'm also surprised you don't pickup CTV2 (10) out of London, it should be quite strong on your area. Perhaps your antenna is not a VHF antenna for those CTV channels to come in strong, what is your antenna?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Thanks, I re-scanned and got TVO on 22, plus 10 (CTV London) which I didn't have before. So I now have 5 channels. How is anyone to know about these changes except by periodically re-scanning?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Haven't heard from you in a long time. How is your set-up in London? Any changes to your US reception with the new channel allotments? In my area, ION from Batavia NY has gone omni-directional with increased power and I now get it 24/7 even with it over 90 miles away and using just an AD 4-bay and a drop amp. My big change was getting a new TV in 2018 - this (i.e., the TV tuner) really helped with adjacent channel interference, great overload handling.
Yes it has been a long time since I have visited the forum. Yes many changes have occurred with respect to US reception here in London, ON with channel allotments. Now the the band has narrowed to channels 2-37 there is more co channel interférence. I spent most of the summer DXing between Detroit, Cleveland, Erie and Buffalo. A lot of channels that frequented have been hurt. Channels like Erie 66-1 WFXP used to be one of my most solid channels and I basically don't get it anymore, but on the other side channel 35-1 WSEE is a regular visitor that I never got before. So basically in many markets there have been channels lost and some gained.
Probably my most consistant furthest channel that I receive consistently has been 5-1 WEWS Cleveland.
usually from November thru March I don't DX and rather keep my antenna pointed towards 13-1 CKCO Kitchener.
I get all the London stations and am able to get 6-1 Global Paris transmitter, 31-1 CITY Woodstock transmitter and 22-1 TVO Kitchener. As the temperatures drop the reception for the US market plummets.
Basically 9 channels OTA in London is basically the average but some people in the South end tend to get the Erie's a tad better.
As with the other noted people that have been replying to recently, I will say, try to get the antenna outside and as high as possible.

Reactions: kilarney

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks, I re-scanned and got TVO on 22, plus 10 (CTV London) which I didn't have before. So I now have 5 channels. How is anyone to know about these changes except by periodically re-scanning?
TVO ran several ticker bar notices about it leading up to their change and had it on their website. CTV2 London didn't change, been that way for years.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Perhaps your antenna is not a VHF antenna for those CTV channels to come in strong, what is your antenna?
This is the antenna I have, or one like it. Nothing fancy, I just got it as an experiment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ya, you will do much better with CTV Kitchener and CTV2 London with a proper VHF antenna. If you go a bit bigger and outside/attic you could maybe pickup some more London stations (CHCH, yesTv, Omni1+2). A 4 bay bowtie with the VHF arms add-on for example, or those mini yagi style antennas.

Even this should perform better overall and especially for those 2 VHF stations.

I'm not familiar enough with the location to say what your chances of American stations (Erie/Buffalo) would be if you went full size rooftop.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
@daggry , I received the RCA antenna yesterday and today spent an hour playing with it. I should add that after getting those 5 channels 3 days ago, the next day I lost 13 again and after that 10 became iffy. I guess a lot depends on the weather.

My setup in the living/dining area is a 22" Seiki up on a shelf on a south wall below a bulkhead next to the patio door. The indoor antenna would be taped to the bulkhead above the patio door.

First I taped the RCA antenna to the bulkhead where the indoor one was and got about the same results. Next, I took it out on the deck and propped it up in the eves trough, scanned, and got all 5 channels nice and clear. So I'm keeping it and will mount it properly when I figure out how to feed the coax outside or up in the attic. Meanwhile I have the RCA antenna taped to the bulkhead and had to play around again to get the channels I wanted. Since it has a long length of coax, I found bundling it up behind the TV lost me channels compared to it just hanging loose. But I got best results with the bundle up on the curtain rod near the antenna. However, now I lost TVO (22), which I don't watch anyway, so I'll have to play around some more, maybe with the amplifier hi-lo switch, which I have on hi.

·
Registered
8,959 Posts
I lost 13 again and after that 10 became iffy
Channel 10 should blast though Woodstock. It's pattern is optimized for KW and Woodstock is about half way. It's more likely a shortcoming of the antennas on the VHF band. Those amplified antennas are too small to do a really good job on anything but strong urban signals. Their distance claims are usually bogus except for tropo events and even then won't do as well as a good directional antenna such as a yagi or bow tie. Their only advantages are being multi-directional and a high WAF form factor indoors.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Of course. My amplified indoor antenna claims a range of 120 miles, certainly bogus. The RCA amplified outdoor one claims 50 miles, which is also stretching it. But I only use this TV to catch up on the news during breakfast and lunch, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
126 Posts
91XG antenna in London gets me CBS almost all the time and ABC about half the time but not sure about winter because I have changed my pre-amp to a televes so will see how we do when it gets cold. So far it has been good. I still occasionally get Cleveland. Tonite I have solid ABC + CBS + a weak PBS along with all usual local channels.
That wind storm a week ago sure was hard on my gear. Had to get up on the roof and do some repairs....

2361 - 2374 of 2374 Posts