Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2341 - 2360 of 2360 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Hello Everyone -- long time no post!

I was wondering if anyone else in London has lost reception of CIII out of Paris? City (Woodstock) and CTV (KW) are still coming in strong so I don't think my gear needs adjusting. It use to come in fine on 6 but I'm not getting anything on 17 (I'm not sure if it ever did -- I haven't been using it much but now I want to).

Hope everyone is staying safe.

·
Registered
469 Posts
facepalm... Well thanks Rob... tvfool has CIII on 17.

Its coming in well.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It has been years since I even tried playing with an OTA antenna. I had a $25 piece of junk that I'd bought and after having less than stellar results I never did much more playing.

I finally decided to get back into OTA, and this time around I built my own antenna using a lot of scrap parts. The main elements are made from electrical wire, and the back side (reflector) on the antenna is built from metal shelves from our closet that we removed, and some chicken wire. I'm likely not adequately describing the parts, but I am jumping with joy to be watching tv from Erie PA here in the far east end of London. I've got a pre-amp, but am pulling in decent signal without it.

I had been spending a lot of time watching YouTube videos on building antennas, and built my antenna using the design from a guy in Georgia. (Danny S Hodges) He calls his antenna "The Ultimate Antenna". I had tried the Grey Hoverman design once years ago, but didn't get much, but I also didn't put a whole lot of effort into measurements and the quality of the components. This "ultimate antenna" I built this weekend out of scrap parts is pulling in decent signal quality from Erie PA even without a booster attached.

It started getting dark so I had to shut down my playing outside tonight. The antenna right now is about 12ft above the ground. I can't wait to get it up to 25 to 30 ft this week to see how it performs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Davage, awesome to hear. Have things continued to be stable for your Erie signals? Please keep us posted on how you are making out. Where will you be mounting it up higher?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Davage.....if you get it up 30ft use that preamp and point at Detroit , I bet it will work. Sounds like a great antenna, yes plz keep us updated. Tropo season is just starting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Davage.....if you get it up 30ft use that preamp and point at Detroit , I bet it will work. Sounds like a great antenna, yes plz keep us updated. Tropo season is just starting.
In my experience Erie is the only US city that can be received in London, and even at that it can be very hit and miss. My dad is in the Pond Mills area (on a hill) with a CM-4221HD at 60' on a tower and he only occasionally get Erie.

WSEE seems to be the most frequently
WQLN occasionally
WFXP has been missing since the repack, to bad because it used to be nearly full time.
WJET is on the same physical channel as TVO from Paris, so only Tropo seems to overtake it.
WICU is on VHF, and he doesn't have an antenna for that.

I used to live down near Putnam, and Erie was present all the time. 20km closer made a big difference for us.

·
Registered
8,903 Posts
Erie was once a relatively easy catch. That changed with the digital transition and even more significantly with the most recent repack. Most Erie stations are now forced to adopt a radically directional pattern with a deep null towards Canada. As a result, they were taken off cable here about 10 years ago due to difficult reception. WQLN Erie only remains due to a fibre feed that they provide.

The other issue is that most of London is in a valley. Even the higher areas are affected by a high ridge to the south and west. Get on the south side of that ridge and US Erie shore stations become a lot easier to receive. Get a few miles to the east or west and Buffalo or Detroit stations get stronger. Inside London, geography and distance become significant issues. That's why most OTA signals on cable are now fed by fibre feeds from antennas much closer to the US than London.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I notice on my logger that there have been some channel changes recently. I haven't connected a TV to confirm for sure.

In the past week I've seen:
69.1 OMNI1 (London) is on 29 (previously 48)
51.1 CHCH-DT (Alvinston) is on 14 (previously 51)

This seems to align with the old transition plan on the Industry Canada website.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Decided to turn the antenna from a fixed setting of 59 degrees for solid reception during winter of signal of 13 CKCO lately and was pleased to see the old setup I installed still booming strong. It's been nice to see that Erie WSEE comes in most evenings now as well as WQLN. The old rotor still works great and the CM7777 still works. pretty happy.

Reactions: Jase88

·
Registered
720 Posts
According to the signal patterns for Erie Stations, they should be easy to receive in Port Dover, and then they can be fibred anywhere from there.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just a follow-up post. My Erie PA viewing was fairly short lived. The signal faded out later in the evening after the easy catch happened. I've looked over my wiring and have determined that I need a new balun as the one I've got isn't in the greatest of shape. I'm going to try get the antenna going again in a couple weeks when I have some time off work. I'm still hopeful to pull together a decent antenna to pull in the Erie stations. When we had the tornado warnings a couple weeks back I lowered the antenna down from the temporary setup I had. I'm looking forward to giving it another shot.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Don't see a lot of activity from members in the Goderich to Grand Bend area and would be curious to see any results of those in the area.
I put up my homemade Grey-Hoverman in Grand Bend last weekend. Only pulled in 2 stations - CFPL from London and CHCH from Alvinston. I checked my TV Fool and Longley–Rice models from nearby transmitters and there's not that much I can hope for even with a 50' tower in my location! Probably could get TVO, Omni1/2, CTS from London with a better antenna and better placement but I almost never watch any of those channels.

BTW, that same homemade Grey-Hoverman has no trouble picking up Buffalo signals holding it at shoulder level in my driveway so I would expect significantly different results conducting the same experiement with a professionally made antenna.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I put up my homemade Grey-Hoverman in Grand Bend last weekend. Only pulled in 2 stations - CFPL from London and CHCH from Alvinston. I checked my TV Fool and Longley–Rice models from nearby transmitters and there's not that much I can hope for even with a 50' tower in my location! Probably could get TVO, Omni1/2, CTS from London with a better antenna and better placement but I almost never watch any of those channels.

BTW, that same homemade Grey-Hoverman has no trouble picking up Buffalo signals holding it at shoulder level in my driveway so I would expect significantly different results conducting the same experiement with a professionally made antenna.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a trailer in Grand Bend and get only a few channels 10.1, 18.1, 19.1, 20.1 and 51.1.
To be honest I was surprised. I am using an old USB Tuner and I believe Win10 on my labtop. Honesty I just watch the news on CFPL or CHCH having a coffee in the morning. The antenna looks like a WineGaurd with preamp that is default on my roof for my RV. It is directional but I was fortunate that it actually faces Byron tower.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I'm in the Woodstock area with an indoor antenna taped to the bulkhead in my living room. I received 4 channels, TVO, Global, City and CTV Kitchener. CTV Kitchener was most problematic and would occasionally pixelate. My antenna fell down and since then I've not been able to arrange it exactly how I had it to get CTV back. Any tips? Any recommended good indoor antennas?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have a trailer in Grand Bend and get only a few channels 10.1, 18.1, 19.1, 20.1 and 51.1.
To be honest I was surprised. I am using an old USB Tuner and I believe Win10 on my labtop. Honesty I just watch the news on CFPL or CHCH having a coffee in the morning. The antenna looks like a WineGaurd with preamp that is default on my roof for my RV. It is directional but I was fortunate that it actually faces Byron tower.
Haven't heard from you in a long time. How is your set-up in London? Any changes to your US reception with the new channel allotments? In my area, ION from Batavia NY has gone omni-directional with increased power and I now get it 24/7 even with it over 90 miles away and using just an AD 4-bay and a drop amp. My big change was getting a new TV in 2018 - this (i.e., the TV tuner) really helped with adjacent channel interference, great overload handling.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm in the Woodstock area with an indoor antenna taped to the bulkhead in my living room. I received 4 channels, TVO, Global, City and CTV Kitchener. CTV Kitchener was most problematic and would occasionally pixelate. My antenna fell down and since then I've not been able to arrange it exactly how I had it to get CTV back. Any tips? Any recommended good indoor antennas?
Recently lived in Woodstock, SW part of the city near Parkinson/South street. Had an RCA ANT-751 at the time on a pole on my back deck, no roof or attic access. I aimed slightly northwest, basically towards London but not directly towards Bower Hill to avoid FM overload and CITY-DT overload since the site is just SW of Sweaburg.

If I recall I was strong on
CFPL (10)
CIII (23)
TVO (28)
CITY (31)

CKCO was weak, but if I aimed northeast towards Baden they became my strongest, I found them to be a highly directional catch and really needed to get a good clear shot that direction.

Of note, I beleive CITY-DT was at reduced power earlier last week or off alltogether.. never got an answer from them but they are normal now. Global is also back to normal after giving us French CBC for a few days, I don't get them 100% of the time where I am now to know for sure.. but some weird stuff with CIII recently.

Sometimes we'd get a whif of Buffalo on those good nights, but not often.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
65 Posts

Great to see all your posts in this section. El Gran Chico,what sort of height do you have in Grand Bend? At my location 20 miles north in Bayfield I have a 76' tower and receive
10.1 CFPL
13.1 CKCO
14.1 CITS
18.1 TVO
20.1 OMNI
29.1 GLOBAL
51.1 CHCH
69.1 OMNI

I get 25.1 WEYI from Saginaw almost always May-October and about 50% in winter months. For whatever reason, that signal is super strong at 106 miles. Detroit stations are generally strong in the May-October timeframe but inconsisitent in winter. I think at 50' you'd likely get most of the 8 locals.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Rads, I max out at about 20 feet AGL. To be honest, this is not a big deal. I don't go there to watch TV. :) I'm thinking of getting something like a ClearStream 2MAX (small and relatively easy to mount) for the odd time I do.

2341 - 2360 of 2360 Posts