Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2301 - 2320 of 2352 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Be sure to disconnect the power supply again before you reconnect the RG6 to the pre-amp (and don't forget to plug it in again afterwards!).

DXer, I know I didn't do this on many attempts at moving and reconnecting the RG6 to the pre-amp - silly question but, what is the danger there? I'm not technically inclined!
I was think more of damage to the power supply caused by shorting it out, or possible damage to the pre-amp. I use switches (containing semiconductor devices) in a satellite system, and they are very sensitive to being damaged through being disconnected whilst being powered. Pre-amps are probably less sensitive, but some of them are expensive enough to not to want to take a chance!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi All,
Updating you again and I appreciate all the responses. Turns out it was a wonky CM7777. I re-routed things by-passing the pre amp and all is working good. I've picked up a Winegard LNA 200 pre-amp this time as I've now had 2 CM's that have kicked it on me - granted the one was dropped from roof to ground so I'll take the blame on that one. The Winegard just seems a lot more stable and easy to work with. In any event, I'm really pleased with the Stellar Labs VHF. Last night was its first test run - it was a brutal night with high winds and heavy snow in my area - CKCO RF13 which was the main goal (other than tropo fun of course) was in pretty stable based on the weather - with some minor drop outs. This morning with things calmed down my signal was nice and solid. CFPL RF10 was of course an easy capture at my location. I'm thinking after the re-pack this unit may likely become more well received with a few new channels on that spectrum. DetroitTVFAN shoot me another message if you didn't get my pm response back to you.

·
Registered
58 Posts
DetroitTVFAN, no good e-skip or tropo when I've been checking so haven't seen much of WJBK. I'm hopeful it'll be in some evenings and early am this winter, but of late, the weather hasn't been very good for distant reception.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Not sure if this forum is still active. I am looking into the possibility of OTA. I live in London between Sarnia Rd and Gainsborough. I have a Philips Passive Indoor Antenna (SDV1125T) and I can get 5 channels, CTV2, TVO, YesTV, Omni1 and Omni2. If I invest in a outdoor or attic mount antenna with a longer range will I be able to pick up more in my location? I do not know much about OTA and all the proper equipment required.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
You should be able to get CHCH (51), CITY (31), CTV (13) and Global (17/29) with a better antenna either outdoors or in the attic. I'd recommend outdoors and above nearby obstructions such as roofs. A VHF antenna may be required for 13 but some UHF antennas such as the CM4228HD have adequate VHF gain to receive it. CTV has a repeater on 43 but it's analog NTSC so not worth it.

I suggest you look at tvfool.com and rabbitears.info to get an idea of what channels are available.

TV Fool report for London, ON

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am actually looking at buying the CM4228HD, just determining how I will install. I assume I would most likely point it towards the east to get CHCH (51), CITY (31), CTV (13) ?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Pointing it towards Paris for Global (17) is probably the best option. That would include CTV (13) and CITY (31) in the same general direction. Some tweaking may be required. CHCH (51) should come in from the back. Local stations should blast in from the side. Global (17) can get some interference from TVO (18). Global (29) may come in from the back. CTV (13) has a weaker signal that is subject to interference but should be OK. Stronger Buffalo stations may be available in good weather. Some duplicate channels for may also be available. Some stations may be moved to newly reassigned channels in the next year or two.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I thought their was another dedicated forum for this type of post but I cannot find it. I am looking for an OTA antenna installer in London. I would do it myself but I do not fair well on ladders or roofs. I can only find installers that service up to Kitchener.

·
Registered
218 Posts
try looking for tv antennas installers in sarina or chatam instead of London because those places are a hot spots for tv attenas reception

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I haven't read through all 12 years of this thread, so forgive me if this has been asked and answered before. I have a Samsung UHD Smart TV on Rogers cable, plus all the other stuff I can watch, including movies ion my computer. Recently out of curiosity I purchased an Indoor HDTV Antenna for Digital TV. I have it installed on the wall next to my TV in the basement because the cable isn't long enough to put it at a basement window. The instructions say not to use the amplifier for transmitters closer than 120 miles, so that's how I first tried it. All it found was one channel (Global) and that pixelated badly. Next I connected the amplifier and got 3 channels okay, Global, City and TVO. Those transmitters are within 21 miles. I remember getting more channels with rabbit ears upstairs, including CHCH and CTV. I'm in the Woodstock, Ontario area. Is this typical for where I have the antenna located, or am I missing something in setting it up?

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Basements are very bad for TV reception. If possible, I would put the antenna in the attic or on the top floor and run an RG6 or connect it to a networked tuner such as a HDHomeRun. An outdoor antenna above the roof peak would be best.

The instructions say not to use the amplifier for transmitters closer than 120 miles
That must be a misprint. Depending on the circumstances, 2-10 miles would be more typical.

Don't believe the 120 miles claimed range. Depending on location and antenna orientation, it will be more like 20-60 miles. More distant stations might be available in extreme reception conditions.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
As I suspected.This was just an experiment on a whim to see what digital HD OTA looked like. If I were to seriously consider it I would first mount it in the attic or go with a rooftop one and would also need a recorder.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
That antenna is only required for VHF-lo + VHF-hi + UHF. Outside of major US markets, there is hardly anything available on VHF-lo right now. There are much better and smaller antenna options for this area.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Looks like one of those cheap China made antennas, no way do they pull in 120 miles, even if you were to mount on the roof. You should look at this one for fringe locations, but it is a monster of a size! https://www.amazon.ca/Channel-Master-Antenna-Range-CM3020/dp/B000BSGCSA
Probably, I just searched Amazon for a reasonably priced OTA antenna. No way I would buy a $163 antenna to experiment. I got rid of my tower after I got cable when it came to my area 30 years ago. I was just feeling out what kind of OTA reception I can get. If I get ambitious, I'll run an RG6 extension up and put the antenna in the attic. But I'm not interested in watching live TV. I've been spoiled by recording anything I'm interested in on my PVR and watching it at my convenience, skipping commercials. I also watch a lot of auto racing which is on cable, not OTA TV. I'll stick with Rogers cable while my plan is still under $100. After that I'll be looking at other options, so long as I don't lose what I follow now.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Aug 2 Repack coming to London
OMNI 2 from rf 20 to rf 19 13.7kw
CITS from rf 14 to rf 30 5.7kW
GTN (Paris) rf 17 to rf 23 190kW.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I got this message today from Don Mumford who used to be the VP of Bell Media

Don Mumford 2:29 PM

David. Heard back. Oil Springs is moving to HD next May.

I had originally asked him if they were shutting it down.

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
Depends on the type of building. If it's concrete and steel, a northerly exposure will not likely work with any type of antenna. The steel will cause too much multipath (been there done that.) South facing will be better in any type of building. First floor is not great either since nearby buildings will block the signal. There is a small chance that signals could be picked up with a directional antenna using reflections from nearby buildings. It may be better to just pay the money for a basic TV service. With a better exposure, Sarnia is great for TV and FM from Detroit.

2301 - 2320 of 2352 Posts