Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2281 - 2300 of 2352 Posts

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
It looks like you could replace the entire balun housing. Sourcing one might be an issue. I would contact Stellar Labs. The antenna warranty might cover it.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts
The new database that they just started using has a lot of channels missing. The problem is caused by repack, which is now in a constant state of change. TVFool doesn't have enough staff to keep up with that. Here is an example:

The FCC list shows 7 strong channels, but the TVFool list only shows one: WIS.

The defective database code is 201710251434.

The cellular interests used congress and the FCC to take channels 38-51 from TV Broadcast.

·
Premium Member
1,121 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi again everyone.
I'm doing an update on the status of my 91 XG and Stellar Labs 30-2476 install. I've completed the installation and am having reception problems. I have the wiring all correct as I have a signal but the signal strength is not strong enough to resolve. I've included a photo - does anyone have any ideas what may be the culprit. I've got the 91XG on top as you can see and the Stellar Labs 3 feet below. The Channel Master 7777 pre-amp is just beneath the Stellar Labs unit. By moving the pre-amp just above the Stellar Labs antenna I was getting a signal that was cutting in and out - it would resolve on certain channels but then fade out. Any thoughts on where I may be going wrong would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
Can you detail exactly how you've connected everything? Are you using a UVSJ? If so, which model, and where are the pre-amp and power inserter in relation to it?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi DXer, yes it is an Antenna's Direct UVSJ
Looking at the photo the UVSJ is just above the VHF antenna and the pre amp is just below the VHF antenna. It's (I think) a fairly simply connection with UHF into UVSJ and VHF into UVSJ into respective ports, then the 'to tv' connection on the UVSJ into the pre amp 'input' and lastly pre amp 'output/power' down the coax run into the television. It has to be something to do with the spacing and placement, but I could not find anywhere that said this to be critical to the connection - nor can I really see how it could matter?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Where is the power inserter? Have you established that you have the expected voltage at the pre-amp output?

·
Registered
467 Posts
3 things come to mind.

1. The separation between the two is not ideal. Seems like you could move the 91xg up a few more inches (I see some pole left at the top).

2. The 91XG while great at the upper UHF channels it is lackluster at the lower UHF channels. Will be poor choice after repack.

3. You are very far from many stations except London and Kitchener area stations. Reception has been exceptionally poor the last couple days.

You could try skipping Pre-amp and combiner running coax directly from Uhf antenna or Vhf antenna directly to TV for troubleshooting purposes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
thanks brightonian.
I'll try moving the 91xg up some. Yes reception has been poor but up until yesterday when I was using just the 91XG, reception was as always on my locals. As soon as I added the VHF, all channels disappeared so there is something amiss

·
Registered
556 Posts
Sorry DXer but those questions are beyond my understanding - how would I determine expected voltage?
You would disconnect the power supply from the wall; disconnect the RG6 from the pre-amp output; reconnect the power supply to the wall; using a voltmeter, check the voltage between the inner conductor and the screen of the RG6 at the end where you disconnected it from the pre-amp. You are looking for the voltage specified on the power supply (typically about 12 volts).

Be sure to disconnect the power supply again before you reconnect the RG6 to the pre-amp (and don't forget to plug it in again afterwards!).

As noted, your antennas are a bit close together. Rule of thumb is that spacing should be at least half a wavelength of the lowest frequency you want to receive (which will be channel 10 in this case - about 30 inches).

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
As soon as I added the VHF, all channels disappeared so there is something amiss
I would be looking closely at cables and connections.
Some basic things to check...
1. UVSJ - Are the antennas connected to the correct inputs?
2. Are the cables and connectors shorted or open and are center conductors long enough.
3. Is the preamp connected correctly and is it getting power? To check the preamp power easily, try it with and without the power inserter plugged in.

Try taking the preamp and UVSJ out of the equation and connecting the antennas one at a time. Do the UHF and VHF antennas perform well alone and without the preamp? How do they perform when the UVSJ is added? When the preamp is added? A basic troubleshooting technique is to remove or replace a component to see if it is working correctly. Another is to double check all work in case a simple mistake was made.

Physical location of the preamp or UVSJ is not important. I would put them wherever they are easiest to access. It's possible that channel 10 is causing overload so putting the preamp between the 91XG and the UVSJ might be an option. That would remove the VHF antenna from the preamp.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Big thank you to everyone who chimed in - I really appreciate all the excellent knowledge you guys are willing to share. I'll keep you all posted on how I make out. Thanks again

·
Registered
58 Posts
Be sure to disconnect the power supply again before you reconnect the RG6 to the pre-amp (and don't forget to plug it in again afterwards!).

DXer, I know I didn't do this on many attempts at moving and reconnecting the RG6 to the pre-amp - silly question but, what is the danger there? I'm not technically inclined!

·
Registered
8,707 Posts
It's a basic precaution to prevent personal injury or damage due to accidental surges and shorts when using power carrying cables. 12 to 24 volts isn't much but could potentially cause a slight shock that will startle and lead to further injury.

2281 - 2300 of 2352 Posts