Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

2261 - 2280 of 2352 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
CITY-TV Woodstock (Ch. 31) working ? Also looking for a parabolic.

Hi, I'm posting this on behalf of a family member who lives 1/2 an hour SW of London.
She can no longer receive CITY from the Woodstock tower, does anyone know if the signal is off or weaker in the last few weeks or couple months?

Also, we are looking for someone to install a new antenna on her 40 foot tower and one guy we spoke to who does it part time doesn't seem to want to do it unless he can find a particular parabolic antenna he has used before, and he said they are really excellent BUT very hard to find. I don't know if he is talking about a new or used antenna, and he is not returning my message. Does anyone know what antenna he may be talking about? If I can find one, maybe he will come out and do the job.

·
Super Moderator
5,066 Posts
CITY TV RF31 Woodstock

I was watching this station this morning in Kitchener and it was working perfectly at it's typical strength.

Parabolic antennas are enormous, like 7' wide and high enormous. The older models by Channel Master are, as mentioned, difficult to find and no longer optimal for today's UHF channels. The antennas were designed back when UHF TV was still using 800MHz and 700MHz. You're better off using a recommended 8 bay antenna.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks very much. Good info. The guy also said the Channel Master antennas are now made in China since the company was apparently bought by a Chinese company (I find this hard to believe) and their antennas are now crap in terms of build quality and longevity. Can anyone comment on this?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Disgusted with NO CBC between Chatham and London

As far as I know, the CBC still relies on some public funding, it makes me so angry that thousands and thousands of tax-paying residents in SW Ontario cannot get CBC. People on a pension don't have the money to spend 60+ bucks a month on satellite and I am certain many of them would be happy if CBC was the ONLY channel they got.........I have frequently considered starting a petition but I'm such a pessimist these days I doubt it would work out.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
Take a look at antennas from Antennas Direct. They are probably the best consumer antennas available. They are more expensive and harder to find but have a lifetime warranty. For most purposes, the XG91 is as good as a parabolic dish and is much easier to install and maintain.

Re CBC: The petitions were submitted and protests made about 6 years ago. The bottom line is that the CBC thinks that, despite public support and commitments made only 20 years previously, the CBC felt it no longer had any obligation to serve Canadians outside of Ottawa and the provincial capitals. Nobody with the required authority, not even the federal government, seems to be willing to tell them anything different. As a result, the 5th and 6th largest cities in Canada remain without CBC coverage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Guys

A question I thought i'd pose - I have a 91XG that I'm very happy with. I'd like to add a VHF antenna about 3 feet below the 91XG to grab a few of the remaining VHF transponders. They are roughly 50 miles from my location on a 2edge path. I'm using a CM7777 preamp approx 40' AGL. I'm thinking about the Stellar Labs 30-2476 or 30-2475. Any thoughts on these or any other recommendations would be most welcome.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi Guys

A question I thought i'd pose - I have a 91XG that I'm very happy with. I'd like to add a VHF antenna about 3 feet below the 91XG to grab a few of the remaining VHF transponders. They are roughly 50 miles from my location on a 2edge path. I'm using a CM7777 preamp approx 40' AGL. I'm thinking about the Stellar Labs 30-2476 or 30-2475. Any thoughts on these or any other recommendations would be most welcome.
You don't have a lot of choice with new VHF antennas these days - the ones you cite are the only ones readily available in North America. An alternative would be to use one of the 'monster' all-band antennas of yesteryear. The CM 3671 can still be found on Kijiji occasionally.

We really need to see your TVFool report to know whether it will be worthwhile to get one. If it is, the you will need a UVSJ to join it with the 91XG coax.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for your reply DXer and ExDilbert. I've attached my TV fool. I'm thinking RF 13CKCO will be tough. RF 10 CFPL is easy with the 91XG. I'd most like to add WJBK RF 7 from Detroit. It's tropo, but shooting over the lake I can grab most Detroit transmitters pretty much all evenings in spring and summer so my hope is the VHF antenna will grab that one as well.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=e6a42db80ce354

·
Registered
58 Posts
One other question as well - I currently have an HD Stacker that i don't use - any thoughts on the applicability of detaching the VHF antenna from the stacker and using it with the 91XG via a UVSJ

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I'd recommend the Stellar Labs 30-2476 for CKCO. The CS5 lacks the specs for a difficult pull like CKCO under those conditions. It doesn't show up in the TVFool but I believe there is a 13 in Michigan that can interfere. I'm 2 edge and closer to CKCO here and tropo frequently plays a role in reception.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'd recommend the Stellar Labs 30-2476 for CKCO. The CS5 lacks the specs for a difficult pull like CKCO under those conditions. It doesn't show up in the TVFool but I believe there is a 13 in Michigan that can interfere. I'm 2 edge and closer to CKCO here and tropo frequently plays a role in reception.
Thanks for that. i was leaning that way as well. I wasn't aware of 13 in MI so that is good info to have

·
Registered
130 Posts
The only 13 other than CKCO I can think of is WTVG rf13 Toledo, its got a strong signal into Windsor/Detroit if you have vhf capability. I dont blame you for trying for WJBK rads47 since football season is coming and WJBK does have some great digi nets like Movies!, Buzzr, & heroes/Icons......good luck.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
It's quite a distance from Bayfield to Toledo and WTVG rf13 will be on a side null so it shouldn't be an issue. I've seen WTVG interfere with CKCO here but it's rare. There is a WZZM 13 in Grand Rapids but that's even farther. Most of the tropo issues I see with CKCO seem to be multipath from its own signal. That's not uncommon with 2 edge signals.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I've picked up the stellar labs. Will post up some reviews and results when I'm able to get it in the air

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Everyone - I have a technical question I'm hoping someone can assist with - as previously posted, I've purchased a Stellar Labs VHF antenna to add to my UHF set up. While assembling the Stellar labs, I discovered the coax connection (circuit board - sorry I don't know the technical term for this) where the coax cable attaches to the antenna, has been damaged. The actual soldered connector has been broken (and can't be soldered back together). Does anyone know if there is a 'generic' fix for this or will I need to replace the entire Stellar Labs antenna? Thanks.

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
It's difficult to say without a better description. Do you have a picture? Aluminum cannot be soldered. If the broken connection is to an aluminum part, it must be welded.

2261 - 2280 of 2352 Posts