Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

161 - 180 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
And now I have learned the same lesson the same way. D'OH!

I now realize I should have done that. It would have been pretty obvious something was amiss. I was careful about all of the connections being done right, but the first thing that comes to mind is that one of the coax ends isn't seated properly.

I left the preamp set to "combined" but took out the FM trap in the hopes of using the antenna for radio. Even that is worse so I suspect that there is an open coax connector somewhere.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Ya, all the coax ends are where I'd start too. If you have a multimeter you could disconnect everything down below and then go up top and test the lines. Good luck Scott!

·
Registered
125 Posts
That thought ran through my mind as well. But a brand new unit? I'm going to start with the most likely cause: the coax connectors that I installed. Just waiting for the day to warm up before I start climbing the tower and checking continuity.

·
Registered
125 Posts
That thought ran through my mind as well. But a brand new unit? I'm going to start with the most likely cause: the coax connectors that I installed. Just waiting for the day to warm up before I start climbing the tower and checking continuity.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Fixed! My lack of signal was indeed a faulty coax connector. Of course it was up at the preamp necessitating another climb up the tower. Many thanks to Stampeder and hsplrguy for your suggestions.

I am in the St. Jacobs area just north of Waterloo.

The CM4228 is said to work up to 100km and I am at 100.2km. Perfect. I get:
5-1 CBLT at 8-10 bars (80-100%)
9-1 CFTO at 50%
25-1 CBLFT at 60%
35-2 CTS at 50%
57-1 CITY at 30-40% (I get occasional but regular dropouts tonight.)

My analog signals are better too, of course, as is the FM reception. Jazz FM and Q107 clear as a bell!

Now, can I record HD onto my DVR?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Fixed! My lack of signal was indeed a faulty coax connector. Of course it was up at the preamp necessitating another climb up the tower. Many thanks to Stampeder and hsplrguy for your suggestions.

I am in the St. Jacobs area just north of Waterloo.

The CM4228 is said to work up to 100km and I am at 100.2km. Perfect. I get:
5-1 CBLT at 8-10 bars (80-100%)
9-1 CFTO at 50%
25-1 CBLFT at 60%
35-2 CTS at 50%
57-1 CITY at 30-40% (I get occasional but regular dropouts tonight.)

My analog signals are better too, of course, as is the FM reception. Jazz FM and Q107 clear as a bell!

Now, can I record HD onto my DVR?

·
Registered
134 Posts
awesome corndog great too hear its fixed!! how high is your tower you have your antenna mounted 50 ft? I get buffalo hd channels great fox and wnyo ocassionaly give me some dropouts but no complaints. thats using a 4248 yagi still want to try a 4228 in the next few weeks. u should at least get the cw and abc no problem they come in at full bars for me on my sammy 260

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi hsplrguy. Thanks. Yes, the tower is about 50' and we are on a slight rise looking eastward.

No luck on the Buffalo stations though, nt that I expected to get them. I am 158km from downtown Buffalo, out of the range of the 4228.

City seems to be the weakest of our channels but it is coming in at 60% this morning, barely dropping out at all.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi hsplrguy. Thanks. Yes, the tower is about 50' and we are on a slight rise looking eastward.

No luck on the Buffalo stations though, nt that I expected to get them. I am 158km from downtown Buffalo, out of the range of the 4228.

City seems to be the weakest of our channels but it is coming in at 60% this morning, barely dropping out at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guelph OTA Install?

Hey everyone,
Would I get anything on OTA with an Indoor antenna with an amp (location being somewhere inside the house...) I got this Phillips antenna with a 32 db amp for my aunts, being they don't have cable..nor have the need to pay for cable programming they don't understand, their english is minimal, they just want quick glance at weather and news and english programming for when they have their nieces and nephews (such as myself) are over.

Where would be the best place to put this indoor antenna? (2nd floor, garage, pointing towards toronto, certain area in Guelph?, etc)

Am I really going to get more than one channel? (quickly over the weekend, I put it in their living room by a window.. and.. they get CTV now..what joy.)

Also, any chance of getting any OTA HDTV? (I don't hope for this but it'd be nice..)

Thanks to whoever can answer my questions!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Guelph OTA Install?

Hey everyone,
Would I get anything on OTA with an Indoor antenna with an amp (location being somewhere inside the house...) I got this Phillips antenna with a 32 db amp for my aunts, being they don't have cable..nor have the need to pay for cable programming they don't understand, their english is minimal, they just want quick glance at weather and news and english programming for when they have their nieces and nephews (such as myself) are over.

Where would be the best place to put this indoor antenna? (2nd floor, garage, pointing towards toronto, certain area in Guelph?, etc)

Am I really going to get more than one channel? (quickly over the weekend, I put it in their living room by a window.. and.. they get CTV now..what joy.)

Also, any chance of getting any OTA HDTV? (I don't hope for this but it'd be nice..)

Thanks to whoever can answer my questions!

·
Registered
134 Posts
no I am about a 30 min drive form corndogs area have a friend in Waterloo which is very close to corndogs area and he gets cw and pbs fine with 75 signal on a bev 6100. but then we trapped his fm cuz the TO stations come in fine trapped.

161 - 180 of 1706 Posts