Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1681 - 1700 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I wonder if anyone had tested the generator in the last few years. Maybe the person who would have tested it was let go somewhere along the way and nobody thought about it because hey power failures never happen anymore. Right?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Wouldn't they need a generator going to have the aviation lights on the tower? Not sure how they work, but assume they need to be on 24/7 to prevent a plane/jet crashing into it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
^^ I wondered about that, too. A quick search only found these regulations, that don't seem to specify backup power requirements. Maybe they use batteries on standby for the navigation lights, but knowing how Bell ruins everything it touches, probably not. Curiously, both Bell and Rogers have cell antennas on the Baden tower, so you'd think it'd be in Bell's best interest to prioritize the reliability of their shared emergency generator, but then again, it's Bell: they only care about profits, not providing reliable services!
There's still a handful of employees beneath the 'engineering' title in the Friday evening credit rolls, but I wouldn't be surprised if transmitter site maintenance is anything but regular, anymore, given the never-ending pressure to "do more with less" coming from BCE.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I believe the tower owner has to do is file a report with NAV CAN that the lights are OUT. NAV CAN issues a warning to the aviation folks warning of the situation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good day all, last two days in my area I have experienced significant channel loss I am now only getting channels 5, 6, 13 , and yes I have tried different antennas with the same results, anyone else having issues? Date happened June 4 & 5.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
I haven't noticed any issues with reception at my home in Kitchener recently.

·
Registered
28 Posts
CBC Toronto

My sister lives in Cambridge and was asking me about whether she'd be able to receive the Toronto CBC signal where she lives. The TVFool says the tower is 50 miles away, so it might be a stretch. Has anyone in this region had any luck picking up CBC Toronto with a 60 mile indoor/outdoor antenna?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I pick it up in waterloo with a homemade attic antenna and it's a negative value on my tvfool report. I expect you will get it just fine in Cambridge.

·
Super Moderator
5,064 Posts
Fox Buffalo

After the recent channel repack, I now appear to receive FOX in Kitchener full-time. This is good news for me.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Is there anyone in Bruce County that is using OTA equipment?

I will be relocating there, and just curious if it is worth removing all my equipment and bringing it with me...TV Fool doesn't show much beyond being able to pick up CKNX (CTV2) and CIII (Global) in Southampton...

Have a CM 4228 with CM 7778 Pre-Amp, which pulls in over 80 channels now where I am...will really miss the free TV...

·
Registered
747 Posts
Hey Inglewood. You may want to look into FTA satellite.
You still can get NBC & PBS on Ku band.

Most of the OTA us networks still broadcast on C-Band.

PS Bring your equipment. You might need to use it or move again.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
@Emerald_Boar - I do have some C-Band stuff kicking around in a box - I'll play around with that once I'm up there as I kind of gave up on it with all the OTA available where I am now. I find a lot of FTA stuff at thrift stores - may pick up one of those next time I see one to play with.

I like tinkering with stuff, so maybe I'll come up with some Frankenstein setup between OTA, FTA, C-Band, and Ku Band that will give me enough to watch along with the free streaming services I like.

You're right about moving and bringing my stuff with me - as far as I know I can be anywhere at anytime if I keep following my work around - might as well keep it as I won't get my investment back.

Once I start setting up, I'll share what I can get. I'm sure I'll find some other guys in the area once I'm there that have various setups to help me out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Is there anyone in Bruce County that is using OTA equipment?

I will be relocating there, and just curious if it is worth removing all my equipment and bringing it with me...TV Fool doesn't show much beyond being able to pick up CKNX (CTV2) and CIII (Global) in Southampton...

Have a CM 4228 with CM 7778 Pre-Amp, which pulls in over 80 channels now where I am...will really miss the free TV...
I'm fairly certain CKNX stopped broadcasting up there a long time ago, I haven't seen a whiff of it in a couple years.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seems to have lost CTV Kitchener (rf 13) since about 8:20 tonight. Lots of signal strength (80%) and signal quality listed at 100 but blank screen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Station came back around 11:20 but no Kitchener News segment and they are playing the ctv news channel instead, had a crawl that there are technical difficulties.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There was a massive fibre failure between several Bell COs in Toronto last night which affected both Radio and TV for all Kitchener stations. All network traffic was down between Kitchener and Toronto which is the reason for the CKCO OTA outage as well as no late newscast from CKCO.

1681 - 1700 of 1706 Posts