Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1641 - 1660 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Neither. Because of your very strong local signals, the 7777 will overload. The 7778 may have less than optimal gain for your needs.
OK, now I am confused. Almost everyone on this thread from my area seems to use either the 7777 or 7778, thus my question to the community which seems to have better results.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Every reception location is unique and requires a custom solution and some trial-and-error experiments. The tvfool report is only one factor; there are many other factors to be considered.

If you click on pending in your report you will see that you also have CBLT CBC coming from the east.

Your location is not an easy one because you have both very strong signals (like CKCO only 4.5 miles away) that might overload a preamp or tuner, and very weak signals that need a preamp.

In locations like yours, sometimes it is necessary to decide which channels are the most important.
Yours is not a simple situation, and needs more analysis before you move ahead. Our resident expert, rabbit73, has not chimed in yet, but when he does, he'll give you a detailed analysis!
Thank you for your kind words; I try, but I still have a lot to learn, especially since I'm way down here in Virginia.

The analysis by DXer and by Zank Frappa are both good; it will be difficult for me to improve on them.

One thing that helps is that CKCO will be attenuated because it is on VHF-High and your antenna is primarily for UHF.

If your antenna is aimed East, you should be able to get down to CBLFT (shows if you click on Pending) with a NM of 2.3 dB, but getting down to CFMT might require some experimentation with a preamp.
A lower-cost alternative would be the Channel Master CM 3410 distribution amplifier (but you would need to house in in a water-tight box near the antenna, and run a separate power supply cable to it).
The 3410 has a good resistance to overload, and you can try inserting it further down the coax just after your grounding block. You do not need a separate power line for the 3410 because you can use a power inserter just as is done with a preamp (diagram on request, if you need it).

·
Registered
9 Posts
If a channel like CKCO overloads a preamp, does it just impact that single channel or all channels? My priority would be to get all the channels from Toronto (the ones at 77degrees, 60 miles away) even if I had to sacrifice the local channel.

In that scenario is the higher gain 7777 more appropriate?

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Interesting question.

What would happen is that even with partial overload from CKCO, you still be able to receive it, but some distortion might be created in a preamp or the tuner that would damage your weakest signals first. It is a balancing act; you want just enough preamp gain to make reception of your weakest desired signals possible, but not enough to cause overload from CKCO.

The 7777 is not appropriate at your location. Channel Master warns against using it in strong signal locations, because they have received so many returns.
https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777.htm
This antenna amplifier is a high gain, low noise preamplifier used to allow weaker signals at the antenna to be amplified to a viewable strength, and is ideal for installations in which all broadcast towers are located at a distance of more than 80 miles......The Titan 2 High Gain Preamplifier is recommended for professional installers only. Due to the high gain output of this product, it can result in over amplification if not used in the appropriate scenario. Over amplification can cause issues with the television tuner’s ability to receive and display some or all channels.
The original 7777 handled strong signals much better. The 30 dB redesign is inferior because it overloads so easily. The last 7777 that I recently received only has a gain of about 23 dB. It appears that they have secretly reduced the gain without telling us to try to correct a bad design.
My priority would be to get all the channels from Toronto (the ones at 77degrees, 60 miles away) even if I had to sacrifice the local channel.
I think that might be possible. What are you missing, Omni?

·
Registered
556 Posts
So here's my in-depth 2 cents on your situation:

Assuming your main interest is in the Toronto stations, they are weak and you will need to use a suitable pre-amp situated just below the antenna(s) to get the best reception results. As previously identified, you have very strong local signals that will overload most pre-amps (and therefore kill the Toronto signals) unless further measures are taken.

With the exception of channel 9 (CFTO - CTV) which is in the VHF-Hi band, all the Toronto channels are in the UHF band. If you use a high-gain, highly-directional UHF antenna like the Antennas Direct 91 XG, you can maximize the gain on the Toronto signals, and should be able to significantly reduce the strength of the strong local UHF channels 17 and 28 which are almost at right-angles to the direction of Toronto (most antennas have a gain null at right-angles to the boresight direction). If you use a UHF-VHF Splitter-Joiner (aka a UVSJ) in the coax immediately after the antenna (and before the pre-amp), you can further eliminate the possibility of overload from the local channel 13 (a UHF antenna will still pick up VHF signals, albeit at a reduced level, so you need to attenuate those signals if they are strong).

To receive channel 9 from Toronto, you would need a high-gain, highly-directional VHF-Hi antenna (and even so, receiving that is not a certainty), which would be coupled through the 'V' input on the UVSJ with the UHF antenna. Channel 13, being to the rear of this antenna (where there is much less gain) would likely not come in too strong, but if it did (and overload the pre-amp), you would need a channel 13 notch filter (around $40 on ebay). Unless you used a rotor, channel 8 (CKNX) and channel 10 (CFPL) are unlikely to come in. Because VHF antennas have a wide beam pattern compared to UHF antennas, channel 10 (CKVR) may come in, at least under favourable conditions.

There is only one suitable VHF-Hi antenna on the market at the moment (Stellar Labs Deep Fringe Directional Antenna VHF-Hi HDTV 174 - 230MHz | 30-2476 (302476) | Stellar Labs).

As before, the pre-amp I would recommend is the AD Juice.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
DXer is correct about CFTO. It shows up on the Current list of your report, but doesn't show up on Pending included, for some unknown reason.

The Juice preamp also has a high resistance to overload, has an LTE filter, but no FM filter.

You do have some strong local FM transmitters that might cause interference, but they are in the opposite direction:

http://www.fmfool.com/modeling/tmp/d251ffcbdd/Radar-FM.png

If necessary, you can add an FM filter between the 2476 and the UVSJ:
https://www.antennasdirect.com/store/FM_band_rejection_filter.html

You are on the extreme fringe of coverage for CFMT. Purple is very weak; no color is even weaker:

·
Registered
556 Posts
The Juice preamp also has a high resistance to overload, has an LTE filter, but no FM filter.
Yes, I omitted to mention that. If your FMFool report shows strong local FM signals, you would likely need an FM trap between the UVSJ and the pre-amp to prevent those from overloading it

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hanover

I live off County Rd 4 between Hanover and Durham. Just wondering at i would need and what channels i could get. I have a 40ft tower up for internet so there is no issue there. Any help or advice would be great.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum, jonhopkins369

I did a tvfool report for a location between Hanover ON and Durham ON just west of Allan Park near the high voltage power lines using the coordinates 44.167583, -80.939250. It doesn't look very promising:

TV Fool

Maybe you can do a more accurate report if you use Google maps to find your coordinates. The coordinates on the report will be truncated to protect your identity.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29

You can also use the tvfool interactive map browser to find your coordinates. When you move the cursor by drag and drop, the coordinates below the map will change.
http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=90

I'm not up to date about what is going on in your area because I'm in Virginia, but I think CKNX might be off the air, unless it is still a rebroadcaster of CFPL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKNX-TV

I think CIII-DT-4 is on the air.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CIII-DT

CKCO would be a long shot because it is very weak, but not impossible.

Any channel below CKCO is impossible unless it is enhanced by tropospheric propagation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello Everyone.

I am looking to pickup a few Toronto channels from Fergus. Have tried a couple of antennas but all I can get is Global and CTV Kitchener.
Looking to purchase a Antennas Direct DB8e and use existing Channel Master CM 7777.

My TV Fool report is linked below. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

TV Fool

·
Registered
619 Posts
Hey OTAFool2017, I notice your TVFool report only resolves to "street level", try inputting coordinates as it gives us a much more accurate picture. I know Fergus quite well and if you're close to river level you have a challenging position, if you're well up above the river a good antenna should pull in Torontos and even potentially a Buffalo station.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
If I read it right, his report puts him near the intersection of Gordon St and Gzowski St, 1.4 km NW of the Grand River.

His Toronto channels at 96 degrees are pretty weak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The latest antenna was a Digiwave ANT2084 UHF Outdoor TV Digital Antenna. I bought this on Amazon as a starter before investing any more cash.
Used a Channel Master CM 7777 Titan2 along with it but all I seem to catch are the Kitchener stations. Mounted in the attic with the pre-amp on a 38" J pipe.

The intersection of Gordon and Gzowski is the approximate location as you noted. Combining my response into one post, @Zank Frappa I am well above the river in terms of elevation.

Even having just two channels (Global, CTV) hooked up to my HDHomerun and Plex DVR has been working out very well. Just looking to expand this with a few more channels and then wife proofing before I cut the cord completely. :)

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation of my location guess.

Do you get CICO TVO from the south?

As a Toronto test, try aiming your Digiwave ANT2084 at 105 degrees magnetic and do a tuner scan.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good day all, I just wanted to share my newest find CM-7777HD. This Amplify is an easy to install, professional-grade TV antenna amplifier designed to work with any television antenna to boost signal strength and improve signal quality and may increase the number of channels received by the antenna. Amplify's innovative circuitry is specifically built to support the newest digital and high definition broadcast standards. The heavy-duty weatherproof housing will accommodate installation outdoors as well as indoors. When you push the button you get a high setting of 30dB gain to low setting of 17dB.

Best feature LTE and Out of Band Filtering

The proliferation of LTE signal towers and connected LTE devices are a common cause of intermittent television signal disruption because mobile carriers operate on frequencies that can be very close to your broadcast TV frequencies. These disruptions can result in weak signals, pixilation or even channel loss, and can be especially disruptive when using an amplifier with your TV antenna. You won’t have to worry about this with the Channel Master Amplify. Built-in filters are designed to clear your OTA TV signal path from common interference including those created by mobile LTE signals. It also filters EMI & FM Out of band filtering (Does not pass FM signals)

I can say without a doubt this is the Best Amplifier that I have ever used. https://www.channelmaster.com/Amplify_TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777hd.htm#reviewSection

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good day all, a follow up review of my Amplify Adjustable Gain Preamplifier 7777HD this product is the real deal it cuts the LTE & WIFI from interfering with the antenna signal I went from 12 stations to 34, 2 channels are repeated TVO & Global. Fellow Canadians a good place to buy from is here and I don't work from them so I am not biased. HDTV Antenna, OTA Over the Air ,Channel Master,Winegard, Antennas Direct, Ooma and Streaming TV G-Box Q2. HDTV Antenna OTA Experts in GTA Toronto Mississauga Canada cut the cord from cable or satellite

·
Registered
200 Posts
NormanWalsh

Thank you for sharing your success; OTAers on similar environments will benefit from an pre-amp with an integrated filter. Please keep us posted on your long-term reception reliability as seasons change. Summer atmospheric conditions can sometimes exaggerate the effectiveness of equipment changes. Hope that this is not the case for you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Inglewood, I bought from Channel Mater themselves and my $89.00 purchase was over $211.35, to break it down shipping and insurance & exchange rate and duty tax I said what for so I canceled my order and found a different company to buy from. I just wanted to save my fellow Canadians time and money.

1641 - 1660 of 1706 Posts