Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1621 - 1640 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you guys for your help, specially ty Rabbit73 for the pictures and info. My thinking was do I amp the input to boost signal to antenna then after thinking I recalled it was the out put.
I put the amp near the TV just to try it, then I moved it to the antenna noticing better signal strength to channels and received more channels, woot woot Rabbit73.

Sincerely Thank you for your time and help.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Thanks for making the test with the amp in two places to see the difference. Glad to hear you are doing better.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Great info! I've been looking at adding more TV's to my house now that I am on OTA and don't need to pay for boxes everywhere, and this is the solution that will work for my situation as well!

Thanks for sharing the drawings, and the results!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and I have been reading the posts and have been very helpful. I have the db8e with a winegard Lna 200 pre amp. I currently pick up around 30 channels but around 20 consistently. I am wondering if anyone has the same antenna and what direction toward buffalo are they pointing it to?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Riderfan82:

The direction for your antenna aim depends upon your location. Can you give us a rough idea of your location like street intersection or postal code? Even more helpful would be a tvfool report of your signals that can be done here:
TV Fool

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/125161-%2A%2A%2A-welcome-new-members-read-these-ota-forum-instructions-before-posting-%2A%2A%2A.html

Now you are ready to make your first post, but follow these steps:◦Use TV Fool to Determine Your Available OTA Stations in Canada:
1.use your proper address and put both your city and province into the city field, OR
2.enter your exact map coordinates at the TVFool site and wait for your results page to load
3.your address will be kept secret - it will not show up to anyone else on your completed report
4.after it loads, copy-and-paste the URL of your personal TVFool report to a file or clipboard for future reference
What channels do you get now consistently, and what channels would you like to get that you don't have now?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey rabbit73.
I consistently get channels, 5,6,6.2,11,13,17,17.2,19,23,23.2,26,28,35,36,40,41,47,57.
It's not a bad haul but I do pick up 2,4,7,49 once in awhile.

https://www.tvfool.com/modeling/tmp/e2cb/1db/0811e19/getall.php. I was told to point at 129 degrees by the gentleman at the shop I bought the setup from, I am just curious if there is anyone else in my area has it pointed it differently with better results.
Does anyone pick up fox? I read somewhere the tower puts out 1000kw but I can't seem to pick it up for a minute.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Thanks for the link to the image of your report. I have converted it to an active link so that I can click on a callsign in your report to see the terrain profile between the transmitter and your location:
TV Fool

Some of the virtual channel numbers that you have listed are not on your report. The tvfool site is not able to keep up with the updates because of a short staff. I prefer to use the real channel number and callsign to avoid confusion.

The 129 degrees magnetic aim you were given is correct for the weaker US channels that you are able to receive.

I think you are doing very well with your DB8e and LNA-200.
Does anyone pick up fox? I read somewhere the tower puts out 1000kw but I can't seem to pick it up for a minute.
WUTV Fox is very weak, and might come in as Tropo once in a while. At -15 dB NM it is right at the thermal noise floor; anything lower is buried in the noise and impossible to receive. If you click on its callsign in your report you will see that only 22.8 kW out of 1000 kW ERP is sent in your direction.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cb1db0811e19%26t%3dALLTV2%26n%3d26

The transmitter is on the left and your location is on the right.

Also, WUTV on real channel 14 has adjacent channel interference from CHCH on real channel 15. CHCH with a NM of 25.7 dB is 40.7 dB stronger than WUTV. The tuner is not expected to reject adjacent channel interference any greater than 33 dB.

You are on the extreme fringe of coverage for WUTV; reliable reception is not likely.

The transmitting antenna is very directional, sending most of its power in the opposite direction.
http://www.rabbitears.info/tvq.php?request=items&facid=415

·
Registered
1 Posts
Recommend an Antenna

I am in Cambridge and looking to install a roof top antenna. Here is my profile:
TV Fool
The goal is to pick up CBC from Toronto. Could you recommend an antenna?:
-Digiwave ANT2190
-Digiwave ANT7287
-Electronic Master ANT7293

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
@BrADA55 Welcome to the forums. Unfortunately, TVFool isn't showing CBC virtual 5.1 from Toronto. Though this channel should be easily tuned with a roof top setup.

I personally don't recommend the antennas that you list. This company sells inferior knockoffs, and has engaged in some shameful practices with the intellectual property of some of our members here at the forums.

You're probably best off with a Channel Master 4228HD, with a recommend higher gain preamp.

·
Registered
619 Posts
BrADA55, it would help greatly if you redid your tv fool report and entered the height above ground level you estimate your antenna will be at.

I did a tv fool report using your postal code and entered 30' above ground level, here is the report:

TV Fool

This shows that WNLO and possibly even WNED are attainable if you use a good antenna with a preamp, and CBC Toronto should be a cinch.

Besides the Channel Master 4228HD Jase recommended an Antennas Direct DB8E is also a fantastic unit but you would need to add a VHF dipole to get CFTO on rf9.

When you consider that well built antennas like the Channel Master and Atennas Direct should give you more than 10 years service if installed correctly the difference in price in comparison to the cheap models is less than 3¢ a day.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
New to the forum and just planning equipment to order. Any recommendations on the 7777 vs 7778 preamp in the Waterloo area? I am planning to get the 4228HD and mount on roof approx 30' up aiming ether directly towards Toronto, or due East to see if I can get some Buffalo stations as well.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Use your google earth coordinates for best accuracy (they don't show where you really are but are more accurate than street addresses).
Or, easier, use the 'Online Maps' TVFool option (in the left-hand column). Enter your postal code, then drag the position marker on the map that appears to your home (use the satellite view for close-up detail). Enter the antenna height above the ground just below the map, and check the 'show direction to transmitters' check box. The results are shown below, plus you can produce the familiar radar plot by clicking on the button of that name that's to the top-right of the map.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Buffalo is likely unreachable as are many from the Toronto market. Your antenna choice is a good one, I'd put up the antenna pointed at the CN Tower and see what you get, if someone local (or online) sells the pre-amp with a good return policy then that might be step 2 but bear in mind you will likely need to add attenuation.

You will occasionally get Buffalo and other stations but it will be due to atmospheric conditions and will not last, about the best you could hope for on your tv fool list would be down to CFMT, hope that helps.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back to the original question... With my provided details, would you recommend the 7777 or 7778 preamp? I assume the 7777 but wanted to get feedback from others before ordering. I will ensure I buy from some place I can return, but would rather get it right the first time due to effort of swaping out with different model afterwards.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Neither. Because of your very strong local signals, the 7777 will overload. The 7778 may have less than optimal gain for your needs.

The most appropriate overload-resistant pre-amp would be the Antennas Direct Juice.

A lower-cost alternative would be the Channel Master CM 3410 distribution amplifier (but you would need to house in in a water-tight box near the antenna, and run a separate power supply cable to it).

Yours is not a simple situation, and needs more analysis before you move ahead. Our resident expert, rabbit73, has not chimed in yet, but when he does, he'll give you a detailed analysis!

1621 - 1640 of 1706 Posts