Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1601 - 1620 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All,

I've just installed a CM 4221HD and a CM7777 in my attic. It's split to 3 TVs with a regular splitter. Everything is looking good. Very happy so far and so is the wife.

Living in North East Waterloo, I pointed it towards the CN Tower and I pick up 2.1, 2.2,2.3,4.1,5.1,7.1,7.2,7.3,11.1,13.1,17.1,19.1,23.1,23.2,25.1,27.1,27.2,28.1,35.1,36.1,40.1,41.1,41.2,47.1 and 57.1

I have a question about grounding. Looking for opinions and suggestions as to what will be the best way to ground this setup.

Is there a proper way to ground the antenna (Being in the attic I'm not quite clear and my searching finds different answers). I will be installing a grounding block in the basement before the splitter. Is this sufficient?

Also, another question about the CM7777. Does the actual pre-amp get warm? I can't tell if it's the heat in the attic or not.

·
Super Moderator
5,074 Posts
@crypticg That's an impressive list of channels for an attic install in Waterloo!

We have a grounding thread which answers your question with respect to grounding out an attic install. Briefly, a grounding "block" in your basement, properly grounded of course, should suffice.

My CM7777 (the older two input model) doesn't generate any noticeable heat. The power inserter gets slightly warm. I would tend to agree with your assessment that attic heat is what you're noticing.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Grounding an attic antenna is not required, but it is a good idea to ground the coax with a grounding block connected to the house electrical system ground. The coax will be connected to AC operated equipment, and grounding the coax will shunt the normal leakage current to ground. If the equipment becomes defective, it will protect you from electrical shock.

Case history:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/42186-atsc-converter-boxes-non-hd-non-recording-69.html#post1457594 post 1022

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/81-over-air-ota-digital-television/42186-atsc-converter-boxes-non-hd-non-recording-69.html#post1457668 post 1025

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just a warning that you may lose some of those channels under normal reception conditions when tropo activity dies down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks all. Some reason I didn't even think of checking for a grounding thread here. I relied on google too much.

And yes, I fully expect to lose channels. I was shocked when I got the American ones. My main goal was to get the ones from the CN. Mainly CBC.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Again

Hi All,

Im a returning member under a new name I couldn't remember my old user name. Im glad to be back lots of good stuff to read. I just picked up a DB8E and i added the VHF Retrofit kit Im using the CM777 amplifier. I have my antenna setup with an NTC U-106 Rotor. Im located in Guelph near the hanlon and Speedvale. Since Im here Im looking for some help with my setup if any one in Guelph or nearby area I could use your help.

Thanks

Mesel

·
Super Moderator
56,508 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good day all, I am new here this is my first post, I live in the north end of Waterloo, I have HD Frequency Cable Cutter Indoor/Outdoor HD Digital TV Antenna, I installed a signal amplifier PCT MA2, without it I get 3 channels. I have it installed in a window facing East has line of sight to the South East & North East I pick up 30 stations but they are not constant I normally get 11 stations. Can anyone help me get better reception please.

Other thing I am open to a new antenna setup so any any ideas would be helpful, please know I live in an apartment building so I can only do indoor setup.

TV Fool

List of channels I normally get 5-1, 6-1, 6-2 11-1, 13-1, 19-1, 23-1, 23-2, 25-1, 28-1, 36-1,

List of channels I get on and off 7-2, 7-3, 8, 10, 17-1, 17-2, 40-1, 41-1 47-1, 57.

List of channels that come in but only once in a while 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 4-1, 7-1, 8-1, 9-1, 10-1, 12-1, 18-1, 27-1, 29-1, 31-1,

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Good choice for the amp.

I think you are doing as well as can be expected for your location and antenna. Fortunately, your window faces a good direction.

The once-in-a-while channels are the result of Tropo propagation which makes channels stronger than listed on your report at this time of year.

The Antennas Direct C2V antenna might do a little better, but not by much.

The CM7777 might be overloaded by CKCO. The 7778 would be a better choice if you want a preamp instead of using a distribution amp as a preamp (nothing wrong with that).
http://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antenna_Preamplifier_p/cm-7777.htm
The Titan 2 High Gain Preamplifier is recommended for professional installers only. Due to the high gain output of this product, it can result in over amplification if not used in the appropriate scenario......ideal for installations in which all broadcast towers are located at a distance of more than 80 miles.
Channel Master HD
Which one is that?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you all for your replies & info. I found away to get more channels and they seem more reliable. I grabbed a piece of cardboard I put tinfoil on one side facing antenna and wow I was receiving 36 stations constantly, this afternoon in the rainy weather I am getting a few signals dropping off on a few stations. Have a great weekend everyone. :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
NormanWalsh

Hope that your tinfoil reflector gives you the reliable reception that you are looling for. Sometimes days of strong signal propogation related to temporary weather conditions can can exagerate the performance of an antenna. Keep us posted on your long-term reliability

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good day all, I was looking at a few Antennas I looking at the ClearStream 4V TV Antenna (C4-V-CJM-CN) and the ClearStream Indoor/Outdoor Digital TV Antenna (C2-V-CJM-CN) I was wounder what is the difference and what would work best for my set. Please see same page as I have a few other post from myself on my setup. Rabbit72 suggested C2V but after going to the store I am not sure what would be better for my situation? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can someone help me out please when placing the AMP does it go near the TV or does it go near the Antenna 50 feet away from the TV? Or does it really matter.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Near the antenna. It will compensate for the 3 dB coax loss and improve the system Noise Figure.

1601 - 1620 of 1706 Posts