Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

141 - 160 of 1706 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Ya we had visitors to this site from Texas a couple of years ago who set up a 32-bay array by stacking/ganging 4 CM4228s so I'll see if I can find their photo. When hdtvprimer tested a similar rig he wasn't too positive about it because of the weight and the cost not justifying the results.

In laszloted's case I think it would be worth it to stack 2 CM4228s for Toronto and maybe Buffalo reception.

·
Registered
134 Posts
lazsloted I am in the North end of Cambridge in a low area my tower sits below the house its a 45 ft tower just clearing majorly tall trees. I can get all of Toronto and Buffalo with the odd drop out weather related but not for more than a few seconds. I am using an old CM 4248 arrow and an old Channel Master amp on RG59 cable with a rotor. I do get the ocassional breakup on NBC CBS but otherwise am happy. CBC Hockey on Saturday nights is well worth it. I keep thinking of upgrading as the gurus on here say I should get more remarkable reception but just have not bothered as of yet.

·
Banned
56 Posts
I will continue to explore.
First, I will look for a new installer.
Second, my minumum would be two stacked CM 4228s with CM 7777 preamp and rotor (probably from CM to help with any connectivity problems).

Many thanks to all of you, especialy to stampeder who knows more about our needs in SW Ontario even though his location is in beautiful (almost snow-free) British Columbia.

·
Banned
313 Posts
I have continued to find very informative OTA sites on DHC
I have printed out "A 16 Bay UHF Antenna" and "Comparing commercially available antennas"
I am impressed by both the CM 4228 as well as the AntennaDirect DB-*8 which is not so much more expensive than the CM
Antenna Direct currently has a special bundle with FREE SHIPPING until Feb. 12 (so must make decision soon.
The bundle cosists of the DB-8, 100" cable, a J-mount, and anm amplifier all for $159.

I am familiar with preampd and amps with my high end music system. I presume the same applies to TV systems. Are the words interchangeable with TV. Is it better to get a pre-amp or an amplifier.

Your comments would be very welcome, as usual.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Hey docted,
Check this forum for info on OTA equipment:
http://digitalhome.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=130

Pre-amps are used to overcome signal degradation on long cable runs (> 50') from the antenna to wherever the tuner is. They are powered by a power inserter which injects DC into the cable itself somewhere downstream of the pre-amp inside the house as the pre-amp is located right at the antenna.

An amp is usually used if the signal is to be split

cheers, :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Heidelberg, ON

Hello all.

Now that the good weather is fianlly here it is time to climb my tower and install a CM4228 and CM7777. I have CBLFT (8) and CKCO (13) about 8km and 13km off to the side of my antenna, both about 90 degrees off the line to the CN tower, where the antenna wil point most of the time. I am exactly 1oo km straight-line from the CN tower, hence the CM7777. How likely is it I will need a trap for either channel 8 or 13?

Thanks,

Scott

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi corndog, the problem (in your case) is that the CM4228 is a good VHF High antenna, which is what you are understandably concerned about with channels 8 and 13 so close by. If by chance those channels align strongly with the side lobes you could have some serious signal problems.

Climbing up that tower is not something I bet you want to keep doing to get things right, and I don't want to encourage you to do that repeatedly! :D so probably the best way to pre-emptively knock out those two channels is to put in a notch filter from TinLee in the cable between the CM4228's balun and the preamp's input.

I've put your post here for others in your area to make note of.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks Stampeder. I was assuming there may be some problems there. The staff at Neutron in Guelph seem to know their stuff so hopefull they have good local knowledge as well.

Can you (or anyone) comment on this item from hdtvprimer.com?
Many people think that connecting an external amplifier to the antenna will improve the performance of the antenna. This is usually wrong. Receivers always have more gain than is necessary. (The receiver has an Automatic Gain Control circuit, AGC, which will reduce strong signals. The AGC makes all stations the same strength at the demodulator. When you add a preamplifier, the TV receiver lowers its own gain, usually by an equivalent amount.)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Ken Nist wrote that, and he is a top notch expert on these things :) What he meant is that a preamp is not going to magically create better reception - if the antenna gets a signal, the preamp will send that signal down the line at a higher power level. In the case of long runs of coax cable, the purpose of the preamp is to counter all the line loss that will be experienced. In your case with a tower, a preamp is a must.

Further to what I was saying below, you should be able to test for the effects of channels 8 and 13 on the ground with your CM4228 and preamp, then judge whether a notch filter is needed before going up the tower.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks again. I took the time to re-read the article and took from it basically what you are saying. I talked to the very knowledgeable guys at Neutron Electronics in Guelph and their take was that the Sammy 260 should take care of any overly strong signals itself. I was hoping to get it installed today but the weather interfered. Waiting for sunshine!

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
134 Posts
corndog you will more than likely need a channel 6 filter and fm trap on. until global abandons 6 it overloads way more than 13 ever has.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks Hespler. That's the tower south of Ayr, correct? I am hoping it will be far enough away to not need a filter. The CM7777 has an FM trap but I am hoping to use the 4228 to get a bit better fm reception to the AVR. Most of the signals are good but boosting Q107 and JazzFM would be good. Opposite ends of the FM band and of the format spectrum!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks Hespler. That's the tower south of Ayr, correct? I am hoping it will be far enough away to not need a filter. The CM7777 has an FM trap but I am hoping to use the 4228 to get a bit better fm reception to the AVR. Most of the signals are good but boosting Q107 and JazzFM would be good. Opposite ends of the FM band and of the format spectrum!

·
Registered
134 Posts
corndog said:
That's the tower south of Ayr, correct?
Yes correct thats the towers south of Ayr the whole mess of them!! It such a strong signal in this area its crazy it even messed up my fm signal so had to run the trap on my CM preamp. I get good Q107 just using an amplified fm antenna by terk on top of my stereo rack. I get a good 97.7 HTZ FM too!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I am tired and dejected. Time for a beverage and put my feet up. After a long, cold, windy day perched at the top of my tower like a stranded cat I now have a CM4228, CM7777, 100ft of RG6 and no signal. Nada. Not even the analog I was getting before. Tomorrow I plan to climb the tower again and re-check all the connections but in the mean time any "you idiot, you forgot the..." coments would be very welcome.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I am tired and dejected. Time for a beverage and put my feet up. After a long, cold, windy day perched at the top of my tower like a stranded cat I now have a CM4228, CM7777, 100ft of RG6 and no signal. Nada. Not even the analog I was getting before. Tomorrow I plan to climb the tower again and re-check all the connections but in the mean time any "you idiot, you forgot the..." coments would be very welcome.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Okay I'll go first :)

Did you try hooking it all up down on the dirt first to see if it was working properly before going up the tower? I learned that a long time ago the hard way... :rolleyes:

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Okay I'll go first :)

Did you try hooking it all up down on the dirt first to see if it was working properly before going up the tower? I learned that a long time ago the hard way... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
And now I have learned the same lesson the same way. D'OH!

I now realize I should have done that. It would have been pretty obvious something was amiss. I was careful about all of the connections being done right, but the first thing that comes to mind is that one of the coax ends isn't seated properly.

I left the preamp set to "combined" but took out the FM trap in the hopes of using the antenna for radio. Even that is worse so I suspect that there is an open coax connector somewhere.

141 - 160 of 1706 Posts