Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

121 - 140 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good hearing about your results. I'm interested if you are able to get CTV. I'm a bit farther but I hope I can get simular results. Did you buy your equipment in Guelph?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yes, I picked up the CM 4228 and 7777 at Neutron Electronics in Guelph. Their prices were low and they had them in stock.

I picked up a chimney mount kit from Princess Auto in Kitchener, and a bunch of premade lengths of RG-6 quad shielded (zenith branded) at Sayal in Cambridge, since the price was right and they had weatherproof connectors on already. Of course it didn't occur at the time that I needed to have the ends off the cable to fit one of the boots on outside, and to minimize the hole entering my house, so I ended up getting a compression tool and stripper too (figure I have them for any future needs).

Will not get a chance to try re-aiming till the weekend, as its dark by the time I get home from work, and a dark, cold, icy roof does not equal good times.

I am feeding my signal into a Windows Vista media centre PC via the HD Homerun, and have a windows mobile wireless handheld I can run the RDP client on, letting me see and control the computer from on the roof. This should make the aiming process much easier, especially as a one man job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hespeler - too many problems for now

After playing around with aiming the antenna, it seems I can get CTV, but then lose all the buffalo stations. Tried playing around a bit, but can not get FOX at all, and NBC/ABC/CBS drop in and out in the evenings.

I figure I would need to go to a tower for more height (chimney height is about 20ft), and probably a second CM 4228.

Will most likely just sell off my equipment and wait on more canadian providers coming online with stronger/closer transmitters before trying again.

If anyone in the Cambridge area is looking for a CM4228, CM7777, and HD Homerun, send me a PM.

·
Registered
134 Posts
wfeddren you need a rotor to be able to tune between TO and Buffalo or they drop out there is considerable distance between the transmitting towers. Let me know about your stuff. I am only 20 ft higher but tower is below grade 10 ft and I point into the edge of an 80ft walnut tree unless your hitting the hill of trees u can see when u look across the river.

·
Registered
20 Posts
North Waterloo

I'm considering the 4228 for pulling in Toronto.

Any other mounting suggestions other than peak tripod or chimney mount?
Thanks

·
Banned
313 Posts
OTA Guelph

I live in the northeast part of Guelph, about 90 miles from Buffalo the way the crow flies. I do not believe there are any significant obstructions along the way.
What are the chances of picking up good OTA signals in HDTV with a fringe antenna ?
Thanks.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I'm sure you'll need a deep fringe setup for any of the digitals: a CM4228 on the roof or a tower with a preamp would get you what you want. I used the term "Guelph" with the Search this Thread tool and found a few posts in this thread that would interest you.

·
Banned
56 Posts
NE part of Guelph: Super Bowl and OTA

For the past few years I have considerd OTA primarily to watch the Super Bowl ads from a Buffalo station. I realize that OTA has much more to offer and I would not get OTA just for once a year Super Bowl. It would cost me about $550 to get antena, pre-amp, rotor, installation on roof top.
I know it is too late for this year but the urge wil return next year. What is your opinion/suggestions ?
I live in the NE part of Guelph, about 50 miles from Toronto, 90 miles from Buffalo. Currently subscribe to Rogers. Have a 51 inch Toshiba RP HDTV, 3250 STB.
I apologize if this is in wrong forum. Thank you.

·
Registered
588 Posts
$550!?!!?!? what the heck lol.. i got my whole setup for about 50 bucks.. and i get all the buffalo HD channels and toronto HD OTA lol. Best antenna IMO would be the CM 4228. Just mount it as high as you possibly can.. and point er down toward buffalo. Im not using a rotor or anything... And you only need a pre amp for longer cable runs if the cable run cuts out some channels. If you went out and got these today.. Theres a good chance you could be watching superbowl tomorrow in HD! I got mine and set it up at about 10am the next morning. By 2pm i had peeked the siginal and everything was Setup n ready to rock. Just get your self the Antenna, Some good RG6 Cable, and Hook it up to ur tv ( assuming it has the built in tuner) or i think some rogers HD terminals allow you to hookup an OTA antenna. and FYI, Fox is on 29.1 for OTA digital. so get out there and make us proud!!:D

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I doubt you would be able to get WUTV-dt fox in Guelph.Their signal is directional to the south.If your going to try you will need a deep fringe antenna mounted on a tower.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Confused by OTA in Guelph

I spent much time on the internet, including everything on DHC, regarding OTA and whether I would be able to tune into my favorite Buffalo and Toronto stations. Unfortunately there is no published list and it boils down to location, location, location. I am considering driving around my neighbourhood looking for rooftop antennae and possibly knocking on their door to inquire about their experience; but still, their location and my location will always be different.
I live in Guelph, subscribe to Rogers VIP. I talked with an installer, recommended by Neutron, who told me that I could NOT stack two antennae for better reception. He said that I would get two pictures on my TV. I think that I read on DHC that this possible for increased gain.
My quest continues.

·
Registered
845 Posts
You mentioned that you have read everything on DHC. Then you would have read stampeder's excellent READ THIS BEFORE Posting In The OTA Forum thread with the link to the OTA Knowledge Base.

I believe thats where I read about stacking antennas. It is possible but probably not necessary for your location.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Thanks.
I have read and printed out the items you mention. Extremely valuable.
What I would like to know, if I listed 10-15 favorite stations, would I be able to receive them with an acceptable (I'm fussy) PQ. I know that this depends on location, equipment, height of antenna, weather, etc.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a company that had a well-equiped transportable truck with a raised 20-40 foot antenna that could drive up to your home and test the waters. This would be along the lines of the major network
trucks or a medical MRI bus that drove up to a 70 bed hospital once a week in a small town where I practised 25 years ago . (Guelph just got an MRI unit last year :). This small hospital was in Oregon.
Any entrepaneurs out there ?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Hi laszloted, let me give you a little bit of history about OTA and the DHC site. We are still early on in the digital OTA conversion process in Canada.

A few years ago we had almost no knowledge of how reception in various parts of Canada would be. We just didn't have any good, factual information to rely on, and DTV was still very new so even the stations themselves were changing and improving all along, so that what a person found out one day would be different a week later.

Now we have been thankfully getting great reports and questions from people all over Canada who have access to Digital OTA (and from those who dearly want it but cannot get it!) and now the general expectation of what a person can get is becoming clearer and clearer in most major centres.

Unfortunately in areas like Guelph, which is on the fringe of Toronto reception, we just don't have many user experiences to rely on. With time this will change, but I have to say that someone in your area who gives a good effort to getting digital OTA signals will be a bit of a pioneer there. :)
laszloted said:
Wouldn't it be wonderful if there was a company that had a well-equiped transportable truck with a raised 20-40 foot antenna that could drive up to your home and test the waters.
I like your idea about a mobile OTA test rig but I don't know if it would make sense as a business plan. Interesting idea though...

As for the person who told you that stacking antennas is not possible, I'm sure he didn't understand that it is absolutely correct and possible. If you have further questions, keep asking them here in our threads. :)

·
Banned
56 Posts
Thank you stampeder. Your contributions have been extraordinarly helpful.I would like to make a correction to my last post. It was not MRI that I used in Oregon 25 years ago; it was a CT scan. I've been up all night with spinal arthritic pain and the meds are making my mind fuzzy.

·
Banned
56 Posts
Stampeder, with your knowledge and experience, could you offer a ballpark figure as to the approx. price that such a mobile OTA test truck would cost, excluding cost of truck, but including all test equipment. Just curious. I would possibly be willing to pay up to $100 to have my location tested in order to save $500+ dollars to have a major installation.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your pain - be well my friend. As for a truck unit, many of the OTA pros have a van or pickup and carry around a CM4228 and/or some other antennas with a signal analyzer and an extension ladder.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I talked with an installer, recommended by Neutron, who told me that I could NOT stack two antennae for better reception. He said that I would get two pictures on my TV. I think that I read on DHC that this possible for increased gain.
My quest continues.
I like that part about 2 pictures on your TV, LOL :)

Yes, stacking is the way to do it. Guelph is pretty far out for reception of U.S. Stations. Depends on how big you're willing to go. There were a set of pics on here maybe, stampeder could dig up, of a guy who Arrayed Four 4228's with rotate and tilt.

121 - 140 of 1706 Posts