Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

81 - 100 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
i know its gonna take some time to get it working properly, i guess i was just frustrated at first cause it wasnt what i expected. now that i've played around with it a bit more, i can get ctv with some dropouts, which i suspect a preamp would fix.

i'm looking into getting a preamp, it looks the the cm7777 is my best option from what i read.

the thing i am perplexed about though, is when i point the antenna towards buffalo, i seemed to get less signal strength(which is basically 0 bar) for the buffalo stations then i do when i have it pointed towards toronto(usually 2-3 bar)

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
I'm not sure why aiming towards Toronto gives you more Buffalo strength, but its good that its up on the roof because with a preamp we should see a good improvement. How high up is the antenna now?

·
Registered
793 Posts
do u have any pics from your antennas point of view towards the general direction of Toronto and Buffalo respectively?

·
Registered
141 Posts
i'll see if i can get some tomorrow, i'm also trying to get a higher pole for the antenna, so hopefully that will help as well

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
the thing i am perplexed about though, is when i point the antenna towards buffalo, i seemed to get less signal strength(which is basically 0 bar) for the buffalo stations then i do when i have it pointed towards toronto(usually 2-3 bar)
Don't be surprised. I get good Buffalo signal strength with a 4228 while aiming at Rochester. At your location, south of Waterloo, you might be experiencing the same kind of results.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Eastern Waterloo near University and the Expressway

I am interested in setting up my TV to receive OTA HDTV. I am in eastern waterloo near Unversity and the Expressway. I have read this thread and it appears that a large antenna and a preamp would get me signal but I was wondering if it would be possible with something smaller.

I see that Frubsen was able to get a few channels with his ministate on his roof. Would it be possible to get Toronto channels with a silver surfer or another indoor antenna and a preamp? I was trying to look at the dB rating for the different antennas but I couldn't find any information on the approximate dB needed for any distance.

·
Registered
793 Posts
i just don't think you'll get anything with an indoor antenna in Waterloo. Once London or Kitchener gets their digitals up, an indoor antenna will work for those. But when your trying to pick up low power stations from 60 miles away, even the best indoor antenna just isn't going to get you anything (unless your house in on some giant hill will a direct line of sight to the CN Tower)

Also, preamps and indoor antennas don't really go together, you usually want the preamp with a high performance outdoor antenna.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OTA in Stratford Ontario?

Great website, you folks sure know alot about OTA and I hope you can help me out!

I've been lurking/studying DHC for about a year. My studies led me to invest in a Panasonic TH50PX60 and I have since developed a curiousity of taking advantage of my built-in ATSC tuner.

I live in Stratford, Ontario and I've searched the OTA forums and cannot find anybody else from Stratford that has posted results. The closest I can find any results for is Waterloo.

I scanned using a pair of rabbit-ears from an old TV, and not surprisingly gotten no results at all. As I travel around town, I see only about 20 houses that have any kind of antenna/mast - I assume these are HAM radio. I have seen a couple of those mini-multidirectional antennas that I assume are for AM/FM radio or local (CKCO,CFPL) television.

When I asked a couple of local electronics dealers about OTA, they say there is no such thing, "your only HD options are Rogers/ExpressVu/StarChoice, we have a special this week...". I mention DHC and leave.

I'd like to avoid having a 40' tower (with an 8' section of chain-link fence on top, hehehe) to get OTA though. Spending less than $300.00 for an OTA solution might just get approved by the budget department (wife).

Can anybody advise if I am wasting my time, or would OTA be a possibility here in the Festival City? I'd love to get OTA CBC-HD for Leafs hockey.

Thanks for any input, and keep up the fantastic work DHCers!

·
Registered
793 Posts
well, I measured your location to the transmitters in the area, your a good 83 miles away from the CN Tower. CBC-HD is not impossible to get, but you will probably need CM4228, preamp, and decent height + a very good line of sight to Toronto.

The Buffalo stations are all a good 110+ miles, so those would be non-existent, or very spotty, but with a nice tower, they may still be a possibilty, it's certain happened before.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Rockwood, ON Reception?

Anyone here from Rockwood, east of Guelph? I have a 4228 and may be moving there. Wondering if Buffalo and Toronto OTA is possible with a roof mount.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
i'm not from there but usually, once you're past the escarpment, its very hard to get toronto/buffalo stations. you'll get kitchener, maybe 11 from hamilton and city from woodstock

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Peano since your east of Guelph the Toronto stations will be easy.If your on high ground Buffalo will be okay.Check your reception of Buffalo FM radio in your car.If its clear then your okay.102.5,99.5,94.5,98.5 etc

·
Registered
141 Posts
Reception trouble in Waterloo

i'm having some trouble now with my antenna set up...using an hvr-950

all of a sudden this past week, my picture is breaking up on all channels and yet the signal strength is fine...this is mainly happening on ctv and cbc since those are the only two consistent channels i get.

the only thing i can think of is that i have my ufo antenna set up near my cm4228....but what i dont get is that its only starting to cause me problems now, since the both antennas have been up there since january

·
Registered
793 Posts
perhaps the performance of your computer?
one thing I can tell you is that the reception your getting with an hvr-950 is not your actual reception. I bet if i picked up a 5th gen tuner or TV with built in tuner, you'd get a lock on Buffalo stations and probably SUNTV Hamilton too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
really? how come you say the hvr-950 isnt the real reception?

is the hvr-1600 considered a 5th gen tuner?

and some nights i can pick up city, suntv toronto, abc, cbs and nbc

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
frubsen, someone has posted in another thread that weather conditions in the Toronto-Buffalo area have lowered reception temporarily.

We won't discuss PC ATSC tuners in this thread, thanks. There is a specific thread for that in the HTPC forum. :)

81 - 100 of 1706 Posts