Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

181 - 200 of 1706 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stampeder and hsplrguy;

I do need to spend more time playing with this setup. I have a rotor and so far have tried selecting a couple of the Buffalo stations and then swinging the antenna back and forth through Buffalo's bearing. I do get the occasional single bar (10%?) but not enough for a picture. At 160km I wasn't expecting much anyway. My priority is CBC/CTV/TVO.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Stampeder and hsplrguy;

I do need to spend more time playing with this setup. I have a rotor and so far have tried selecting a couple of the Buffalo stations and then swinging the antenna back and forth through Buffalo's bearing. I do get the occasional single bar (10%?) but not enough for a picture. At 160km I wasn't expecting much anyway. My priority is CBC/CTV/TVO.

·
Registered
125 Posts
One cup of coffee later and some antenna rotating and I do in fact get WNLO (CW) and WGRZ (on 2-1) and a weak CKXT. Funny though, CITY has disappeared. I could get it weak yesterday. The Buffalo stations come in at around 50% so they will not likely be permanent (like CITY). The side benefit is that we now get about 20 analog stations where we used to get 8. That should keep us going for another three years.

Speakin' o' which: With the antenna pointed at the CN tower I get CKCO 13 (our local station) very strong but ghosted and the colours are a psychadelic wash. Turning the antenna south toward the CKCO transmitter gives me a perfect picture. Because I'm lazy, can I avoid having to turn the antenna by installing a trap? Is this a case of too strong a signal or just side lobe reception that can only be resolved by turning the antenna?

Thanks

·
Registered
125 Posts
One cup of coffee later and some antenna rotating and I do in fact get WNLO (CW) and WGRZ (on 2-1) and a weak CKXT. Funny though, CITY has disappeared. I could get it weak yesterday. The Buffalo stations come in at around 50% so they will not likely be permanent (like CITY). The side benefit is that we now get about 20 analog stations where we used to get 8. That should keep us going for another three years.

Speakin' o' which: With the antenna pointed at the CN tower I get CKCO 13 (our local station) very strong but ghosted and the colours are a psychadelic wash. Turning the antenna south toward the CKCO transmitter gives me a perfect picture. Because I'm lazy, can I avoid having to turn the antenna by installing a trap? Is this a case of too strong a signal or just side lobe reception that can only be resolved by turning the antenna?

Thanks

·
Registered
134 Posts
corndog that's great if your getting cw and wgrz try for digital 43 which is pbs 17. maybe have to try stampeders idea of combining 2 4228's

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here are my results for my new CM 4228/7777 just north of Waterloo, Ontario.

Channel List
Code:
Channel	Station	Network	Location	Antenna

HD-Samsung Tuner				
5-1	CBLT	CBC	Toronto	       Tor/Buf
9-1	CFTO	CTV	Toronto	       Tor/Buf
23-1	WNLO	CW	Buffalo	       Buf
35-2	CTS	        Hamilton       Tor/Buf

SD-TV/DVR				
6	Global	        Toronto	       Tor/Buf
8	A Channel	Wingham	       Buf
9	CFTO	CTV	Toronto	       Tor/Buf
11	CHCH	E!	Hamilton       Tor/Buf
13	CKCO	CTV	Kitchener      South
17	PBS	        Buffalo	       Tor/Buf
19	TVO		Toronto	       Tor/Buf
28	TVO		Toronto	       Tor/Buf
31	CITY		Toronto	       Tor/Buf
36	CTS	        Hamilton       Tor/Buf
41	Global		               Tor/Buf
47	OMNI 1		
52	Sun		
56	CBLT	CBC	Toronto	       Tor/Buf
57	CITY		Toronto	       Tor/Buf
69	OMNI 1
I was initially getting CITY but it seems to have disappeared. No sign of the elusive Global tests either.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here are my results for my new CM 4228/7777 just north of Waterloo, Ontario.

Channel List
Code:
Channel	Station	Network	Location	Antenna

HD-Samsung Tuner				
5-1	CBLT	CBC	Toronto	       Tor/Buf
9-1	CFTO	CTV	Toronto	       Tor/Buf
23-1	WNLO	CW	Buffalo	       Buf
35-2	CTS	        Hamilton       Tor/Buf

SD-TV/DVR				
6	Global	        Toronto	       Tor/Buf
8	A Channel	Wingham	       Buf
9	CFTO	CTV	Toronto	       Tor/Buf
11	CHCH	E!	Hamilton       Tor/Buf
13	CKCO	CTV	Kitchener      South
17	PBS	        Buffalo	       Tor/Buf
19	TVO		Toronto	       Tor/Buf
28	TVO		Toronto	       Tor/Buf
31	CITY		Toronto	       Tor/Buf
36	CTS	        Hamilton       Tor/Buf
41	Global		               Tor/Buf
47	OMNI 1		
52	Sun		
56	CBLT	CBC	Toronto	       Tor/Buf
57	CITY		Toronto	       Tor/Buf
69	OMNI 1
I was initially getting CITY but it seems to have disappeared. No sign of the elusive Global tests either.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great job Corndog!
I can't wait to get my antenna outside and see the difference in the results. I can see a lock on both OMNI 1 and 2 but no video? Hopefully I can get a clean signal from Fox and Gobal!
Cheers
Backnblackgt:cool:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great job Corndog!
I can't wait to get my antenna outside and see the difference in the results. I can see a lock on both OMNI 1 and 2 but no video? Hopefully I can get a clean signal from Fox and Gobal!
Cheers
Backnblackgt:cool:

·
Registered
134 Posts
great results corndog still can't figure out u can't get 43.1 (17 remap pbs) when u can get cw they run equal signal for me and my buddy near u.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I will try PBS again in different weather conditions. I am also wondering where 57 (CITY) went. I had it the first day but haven't seen it since.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I will try PBS again in different weather conditions. I am also wondering where 57 (CITY) went. I had it the first day but haven't seen it since.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Waterloo north of the Technology Park

Hello folks

I have a freshly installed 4228 up in the north end of Waterloo with no pre-amp and going 100' of coax and I was able to pick up (quite quickly):

- 23-1
- 35-2
- 18-1.

I have yet to shorten my cable run (hopefully down to 60') and possibly pre-amp this scenario.

Toronto is giving me grief, either due to the above, or due to obstructions (hi voltage tower about 750 meters away, and trees.

Anyhow, thanks to all those on here for motivating me (especially corndog).

I'll be back with more results as I go.

Dave

·
Registered
20 Posts
Waterloo north of the Technology Park

Hello folks

I have a freshly installed 4228 up in the north end of Waterloo with no pre-amp and going 100' of coax and I was able to pick up (quite quickly):

- 23-1
- 35-2
- 18-1.

I have yet to shorten my cable run (hopefully down to 60') and possibly pre-amp this scenario.

Toronto is giving me grief, either due to the above, or due to obstructions (hi voltage tower about 750 meters away, and trees.

Anyhow, thanks to all those on here for motivating me (especially corndog).

I'll be back with more results as I go.

Dave

·
Registered
17 Posts
Waterloo near Erb & Ira Needle

Where exactly in north-end are you? I am near Erb & Ira Needle. Just got my Antenna + Rotor + pre-amp installed yesterday. With antenna pointing to between 78degrees & 84 degrees, I am as of yesterday getting following channels. My Antenna is HD-8800 & Rotor is Channel master. Rotor is on a 2" thick mast on 3' tripod & Antenna is on 1.5" thick 5' tall mast mounted about half way on the mast.

5-1
9-1
11-1
15-1
35-2
57-1

If Antenna is moved to between 98degree & 104degrees I get following channels

2-1
2-2
4-1
7-1
7-2
7-3
17-1
17-2
17-3
23-1

I am still for some reason not getting FOX though. I also suspect that we are having ome good weather for tropo because with Antenna pointing to 120degrees I got couple of channels from detroit yesterday night, but am unable to get them today.

--Rajiv

·
Registered
17 Posts
Waterloo near Erb & Ira Needle

Where exactly in north-end are you? I am near Erb & Ira Needle. Just got my Antenna + Rotor + pre-amp installed yesterday. With antenna pointing to between 78degrees & 84 degrees, I am as of yesterday getting following channels. My Antenna is HD-8800 & Rotor is Channel master. Rotor is on a 2" thick mast on 3' tripod & Antenna is on 1.5" thick 5' tall mast mounted about half way on the mast.

5-1
9-1
11-1
15-1
35-2
57-1

If Antenna is moved to between 98degree & 104degrees I get following channels

2-1
2-2
4-1
7-1
7-2
7-3
17-1
17-2
17-3
23-1

I am still for some reason not getting FOX though. I also suspect that we are having ome good weather for tropo because with Antenna pointing to 120degrees I got couple of channels from detroit yesterday night, but am unable to get them today.

--Rajiv

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I'm pointed toward Hamilton/Buffalo.
- 23-1 is WNLO-HD. Not sure of the others... one is a religious channel ;-(

I'm just north of the Waterloo Technology Park (I back onto Bearinger Rd).

Good to see I can compare notes with some Waterloo area OTA'ers.

Where can I pick up a cheap (reliable) rotor locally?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, I'm pointed toward Hamilton/Buffalo.
- 23-1 is WNLO-HD. Not sure of the others... one is a religious channel ;-(

I'm just north of the Waterloo Technology Park (I back onto Bearinger Rd).

Good to see I can compare notes with some Waterloo area OTA'ers.

Where can I pick up a cheap (reliable) rotor locally?

181 - 200 of 1706 Posts