Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1701 - 1720 of 1771 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you're only getting 1 channel with no amplifier, there's a big problem with either the antenna or your aim. Your attic or crawlspace may be constructed out of something that's blocking the signals, or you're aiming behind some other obstruction or bad multipath interference.

You should get a bunch of channels with a paperclip based on your tv fool report. Maybe the antenna balun is damaged, or there's a bad cable.

Different older TV sets will have varying degrees of tuner sensitivity. Some sets will pick up more channels than others. That's normal. Use your best set as your main viewing device.

Either way, something is up and I encourage more testing before spending any cash.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Your reception of the US stations was due to troposheric propagation creating much stronger than normal signal strengths. This usually only happens during the summer months, and cannot be relied on to give you consistent reception.

To work out from TVFool whether you can receive a station, you have to add to the NM figure the gain of your antenna and subtract all your system losses. If you end up with a value above zero, then in theory you can receive that station, but you really need a figure higher than about 10 to give you reliable reception (because signal strengths do waver, particularly when they are being refracted off two ridgelines, as is the case with you channel 23).

So for channel 23 you have 1.2 dB NM, add 14 dB for a good high-gain antenna gain, subtract about 10 dB for coax, pre-amp and tuner noise factors and subtract about 10 dB for attic loss (the signal passing through the roof), and you end up at minus 4.8 dB NM - not bearly enough signal strength! If you put the antenna outdoors, you would have plus 5.2 dB NM, which would, in theory, give you a usable signal. This is all assuming you have no trees or other obstructions in the direction of the transmitter, which would further diminish signal strength.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kidvegas & DXer, thanks for your replies. Give me a week so that I can read all 114 pages of this thread, as well as doing more testing. No more time today for getting back in the attic.

Btw, Kidvegas, when I connected the antenna directly to the TV, I had to use two of those connectors (don't know what they are called - you know when you want to connect two cables directly...). In the attic instead of connecting the cable from the Antenna to the Antronix and in the basement instead of connecting the cable coming from the attic into the Electroline. So those two 'connectors' might have reduced the signal. It will be "fun" to get another cable to go from the antenna to the TV in the family room... Will let you know when I'm done.

Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes, agreed. First thing is try a NEW rG6 cable with no splitters or other couplers directly from the antenna to the TV. Couplers used to join cables do weaken the signal, but only by a VERY small amount unless defective. Even with all the attenuation DXer mentioned, (and he is absolutely correct), 1 channel reception clearly indicates there's a cable or antenna problem. Your locals are VERY strong. Plugging in your amplifier seems to SOLVE the problem BECAUSE something is destructively weakening your existing unamplified signal. You should get all your locals and then some with no amp.

Once you grab a good group of stations with a direct connection, you can begin further tweaking and adding or replacing equipment. The RCA antenna you have is by no means the ultimate antenna but it MIGHT be just enough for your needs, along with perhaps a Channel Master Distribution amp to all of your TVs.

Using 2 amps the way you are is absolutely not recommended unless there are extreme circumstances.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I finally got around to trying to build an antenna. Got as far as 3 bays of a 4-bay bowtie before running out of coat hangers. No problems with CBC, Global, TVO and a couple others. A few shore up in the scan but signal too low to watch. Not sure if the 4th bay would make much of a difference. If I hold it up I get CityTV, which indicates an attic install is in the cards.

A few more questions.

1. I see a 4-bay on the Costco website for $40. It would certainly look better, but will it work better than my coathanger DIY?

2. Costco also has an 8-bay fixed and one where you can point the two halves in different directions. At my location CF is at 358°(almost exactly North) and HC is at 104°. Am I fine with aiming a 4-bay in between (53°), better off with 8-bay fixed, or 8-bay with one half aimed at each tower?

3. Any chance I get CJOH with an attic mount, or with 8-bay vs 4? Or do I have to add a VHF antenna?

4. Assuming I need to add, I've seen signal joiners on eBay as low as a couple bucks and as high as $100 or more. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
One more quick follow up. I'm using 9.5" bowties (this is why I ran out of coat hangers - I couldn't get two halves from a single one unless I dropped down to 7"). Which makes me wonder:

- Would it make much of a difference if I cut the whiskers shorter? What if I went with different length in the 4 bays?

- From the dimensions given for the $40 antenna at Costco, it looks lime 9-10" whiskers. It also has a reflector which I'd read helps with VHF. Would I aim it at HC given how CF has stronger signals (I'm almost equal distance between the two, 14 miles one way and 15 the other) or would I be better off removing the reflector (assuming that's possible).

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I completed the 4-bay bowtie (last two were shorter, around 8") and now I have CJOH as well. I'll check out again tonight, but it looks like that $40 antenna from Costco, mounted in the attic, will do.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Lost WPBS in Greenbank/Hunt Club area

Lost WPBS (18-1 to 4)

We were fine through Sunday July 2, 2017, but as of late afternoon Monday (when we first tuned in), no apparent signal at all. All other channels including Global, Omni (1 and 2), are still as good as ever, including on the TV's signal strength indicator. (I recognize that might be possible for a relatively small change in signal strength to cause the TV to lose it all.)

There was no sign of the WPBS signal becoming marginal in the days before. I've confirmed that the antenna orientation hasn't changed (no sign of rotation from where it was set).

Just wondering if anyone else in the Nepean (Greenbank/Hunt Club) area has noticed a drop in signal strength from WPBS before I start start taking apart the cabling etc., to look for problems. (Perhaps all that rain . . .

Thanks

CM 4228, up about 18 ft

·
Registered
116 Posts
Lost WPBSl (18-1 to 4)

We were fine through Sunday July 2, 2017, but as of late afternoon Monday (when we first tuned in), no apparent signal at all. All other channels including Global, Omni (1 and 2), are still as good as ever, including on the TV's signal strength indicator. (I recognize that might be possible for a relatively small change in signal strength to cause the TV to lose it all.)

There was no sign of the WPBS signal becoming marginal in the days before. I've confirmed that the antenna orientation hasn't changed (no sign of rotation from where it was set).

Just wondering if anyone else in the Nepean (Greenbank/Hunt Club) area has noticed a drop in signal strength from WPBS before I start start taking apart the cabling etc., to look for problems. (Perhaps all that rain . . .

Thanks

CM 4228, up about 18 ft
It's not just you. No wpbs here in Russell either but CBS and fox from South Colton are coming in fine so looks like a problem on wpbs end of things.

Per their website they are doing maintenance.
Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Per their website they are doing maintenance.
That could be it, especially if the timing fits. Where do you find that info on the station website?

EDIT: There's a clear, in red, notice on the main WPBS website http://www.wpbstv.org/

Attention:

WPBS-DT Channel 18 is down until required maintenance can be completed, we apologize for any inconvenience.

That explains it. (I checked the same page on Monday night and don't recall seeing that. Ah well.)

Thanks for the reply and pointing me back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
WPBS engineering says a power supply failed in their WNPI ch. 18.1 transmitter and as a consequence the power drooped to 86% of normal. When a replacement power supply was installed they had to shut-down the TX, and then Murphy's Law came into effect and they had cooling issues so the actual shut-down (July 3 - 6) was longer than anticipated. They say TX power is now back to normal but my reception in Fallowfield village has dropped from usable to marginal. Anyone else still having marginal reception?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had it with Bell

Okay, So I'm spending $ 218 monthly for the "Better" Bell TV package, Home phone with long distance and internet at 25mbs capped at 350 Gigs per month. In my view, this is too expensive.

So I'm looking for alternatives and OTA is part of this plan. I currently have a Channel Master single bay Antenna on the roof (25 feet off the ground) in K1V area with a 10 db booster installed inside next to the receiver/tv. I removed my antenna's rear grill because it is the only way to get all local channels at close to 100%. Now I want US channels PBS and FOX and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a clear uninterrupted signal from those channels with a different antenna/setup in the Riverside South area.

Please help and thanks everyone for your feedback.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Okay, So I'm spending $ 218 monthly for the "Better" Bell TV package, Home phone with long distance and internet at 25mbs capped at 350 Gigs per month. In my view, this is too expensive.

So I'm looking for alternatives and OTA is part of this plan. I currently have a Channel Master single bay Antenna on the roof (25 feet off the ground) in K1V area with a 10 db booster installed inside next to the receiver/tv. I removed my antenna's rear grill because it is the only way to get all local channels at close to 100%. Now I want US channels PBS and FOX and I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a clear uninterrupted signal from those channels with a different antenna/setup in the Riverside South area.

Please help and thanks everyone for your feedback.
Not sure what will help you in your situation. The K1V FSA is not only directly between Camp Fortune and Herberts Corners towers, the PBS/CBS/Fox tower in South Colton/Irish Settlement is directly behind the Herberts Corners Tower.

Since the received Noise Margin on CHCH on channel 22 is over 50dB, as is TVO on channel 24, getting PBS on channel 23 with a differential of over 50 dB will be nearly impossible. CBS/Fox on channel 18 has similar issues with CITY channel 17 from Herberts Corners. (Not quite as bad, since there is no Channel 19 interfering (yet)

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Not sure what will help you in your situation. The K1V FSA is not only directly between Camp Fortune and Herberts Corners towers, the PBS/CBS/Fox tower in South Colton/Irish Settlement is directly behind the Herberts Corners Tower.

Since the received Noise Margin on CHCH on channel 22 is over 50dB, as is TVO on channel 24, getting PBS on channel 23 with a differential of over 50 dB will be nearly impossible. CBS/Fox on channel 18 has similar issues with CITY channel 17 from Herberts Corners. (Not quite as bad, since there is no Channel 19 interfering (yet)
I think we need a better TVFool report before drawing that conclusion. K1V is a very large area (from Herongate mall to Riverside South). Both alignment and elevation could change significantly, potentially making things significantly better (or worse).

Interestingly when I first ran a TVFool report for Analog_Mig, I didn't put in his antenna height and WNPI was reported as LOS with about a 10dB NM. When I put in the correct antenna height it dropped to 2 edge and under 0dB NM. This indicates to me that if he has better than average elevation, a taller tower might bring up WNPI's strength enough that it can compete with CHCH (I wouldn't worry about TVO as it is on the back side and an antenna with a high F/B ratio could attenuate it nicely), especially if he has more than the 1 degree separation the preliminary report indicates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any issues with Tele-Quebec (30.1) since yesterday? I am in Kanata north and cannot get any signal anymore. Strangely enough, V (34.1) had a weak signal before but now is coming in strong.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Weird issue

Hi!

Just to clarify, I am new at this OTA thing and have basic knowledge. I ran into a confusing problem this morning I hope someone can clarify.

First my setup: I have the 1byone indoor 50 mile range thin antenna (model OUS00-0566) which has an adjustable amplifier (on/off). My house is wired all over and all the cables go to a box in my basement. I have three TVs, upstairs master bedroom, main floor living room and basement living room. The place where I get the best signal is in the window of the upstairs master bedroom.

What I did: Since I want the signal to go to all TVs, I put the antenna in the window of the upstairs master bedroom. Antenna cable goes to a splitter which goes to 1: the TV in the bedroom 2: to the cable outlet in the wall which goes to the basement. Once in the box downstairs, I split the signal in two: 1: to the TV downstairs 2: to the main floor living room TV.

What is happening: with the amplifier on and all TVs plugged in, I get all channels on all TVs with an SNR ranging between 24 and 32. This morning, I had to unplug the cable going to the master bedroom TV and now we only get 3 channels on the other TVs.

What I tried:
1: I plugged the upstairs TV back and all TVs had their signal back.
2: Master bedroom TV plugged straight into antenna. Amp on or off I get all my channels.
3: Antenna cable straight into master bedroom outlet (later split to feed the two other TVs). Amp on = 3 channels. Amp off = only 2 channels missing.

Any thoughts? Was I just lucky enough that splitting the signal in the master bedroom I ended up in the sweet spot for the signal to be strong enough but not too strong at the same time for all TVs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone else in the Nepean area experiencing loss of WPBS (18-1 to 18-4)?

It was fine here up to just a few days ago; thereafter, every time we try, there's "no signal".

The WPBS website now has a notice:

"Attention:
"WNPI 18.1 is currently experiencing frequent outages due to a malfunctioning component. A replacement is being delivered and should be fixed tomorrow. Thank you for your patience."

but this seems to be restricted to 18-1, perhaps some sort of program feed problem, but no mention of loss of the other three sub-channels.

Will see tomorrow, but if anyone can confirm the absence of WPBS before then, that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone else in the Nepean area experiencing loss of WPBS (18-1 to 18-4)?

It was fine here up to just a few days ago; thereafter, every time we try, there's "no signal".

The WPBS website now has a notice:

"Attention:
"WNPI 18.1 is currently experiencing frequent outages due to a malfunctioning component. A replacement is being delivered and should be fixed tomorrow. Thank you for your patience."

but this seems to be restricted to 18-1, perhaps some sort of program feed problem, but no mention of loss of the other three sub-channels.

Will see tomorrow, but if anyone can confirm the absence of WPBS before then, that would be appreciated.
Still no signal from WPBS this afternoon.

The notice at the WPBS website has changed; it extends the correction to Monday:

"Attention:
"WNPI 18.1 is currently experiencing frequent outages due to a malfunctioning component. A replacement is being delivered and should by Monday October, 15th. Thank you for your patience."

I'm still puzzled as to whether this problem is the cause of "no signal" results here, or if others in the Nepean/Craig Henry area are still getting the other WPBS sub-channels. Should I be taking a closer look at the antenna system? It survived the tornado, and was working fine up to a few days ago. Moreover, all other local OTA stations are good, and, in the evenings, including last night, 28-1/Fox and 28-2/CBS have been good, so the antenna seems to be working for lower-level signals in that direction. @tvlurker ?

1701 - 1720 of 1771 Posts