Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 2442 Posts

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
cdncablmonkey said:
I have talked to the the local antenna guys and they are trying to sell me a wade 2900 for around $200...
The 2900 is a really good combo antenna that will serve you well for years until the last of the VHF analogs go away, but I think of that model as Wade's stepson to the great Wade VU936SR combo antenna. Can they get you one of those instead?

If you only want UHF, I would suggest the Channel Master 4228. Tricky's supplier can also get you a Wade combo antenna if that's what you decide on, so you can get a competitive quote.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jarvis ON - update on relocated tower

Relocated my tower today and had another 4.5 ft of mast added as well as a 4228 and re used an old Channel master Pre-amp

get a few more channels and no more drop outs....
here is the list..
2-01
2-02
4-01
4-03
5-01
7-01
15-01
26-01
29-01
29-02
54-01
66-01

this is pointed east..
I guess I am a little to far to get toronto's

·
Registered
230 Posts
cdncablmonkey said:
this is pointed east..
I guess I am a little to far to get toronto's
Shouldnt be a problem in Jarvis your only 65 M from TO
I get cbc, ctv and city and I'm about the same distance. My tower is 60 feet so maybe that makes a diff.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jarvis

well I am glad I started reading here
I have finished toying with my setup for now..
I am getting everything that is broadcast digital withen 90 miles..except City and toronto 1 out of toronto .. there is a water tower a few kms from me an I think that is killing me for those too.. I even added another section to my tower but still no luck.. now my 4228 is about 45 feet high..
I may get rid of my vintage channel master preamp and replace it with something newer..
thanks for the advice

C.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
cdncablmonkey said:
I even added another section to my tower but still no luck.. now my 4228 is about 45 feet high...
Any chance of some photos for the Pimp My Gear thread? We love tower installations here... :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Downtown Hamilton

Alright I am new to this but here goes...I just bought a samsung sir-t360 off ebay without remote to use for OTA HDTV. Alright, I live in downtown Hamilton and am trying to get this all setup. For now, I have a philips indoor antenna that I have from back in the day. I will be buying a proper antenna soon but just as a test I decided to try it out to see if I could pick up any channels. I was able to pick up 5-1 clearly off the channel scan and it works perfect. Nothing else seems to be found on the scans. I can't manually choose other channels either because I don't have the remote. I am wondering why this 1 channel is coming in perfectly while no other channels are being found. Anyone else have this problem in the past? Also, because i can pick up this channel clearly, should other channels come in as well? Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Welcome here, Santiagopr99 - what is your closest street corner in downtown Hamilton? I think the mountain and Niagara Escarpment are going to cause problems with Buffalo for your indoor antenna.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in an apartment building on the 14th floor where my balcony faces the mountain (Queen St. and Hunter St.) I really do not intend to keep this indoor antenna very long, but am more curious to know as to why ONLY 5-1 is coming in after a channel scan. Could it be my location? Thanks for you help though.

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Your apartment faces away from Toronto, right? If so, I would guess that you're picking up a reflection of 5.1 on your indoor antenna from another building or maybe even the mountain, and that none of the other channels have the same conditions for that. Just a guess.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ancaster - need advice

Hi experts,

I'm new to this. I read the antenna chart, but I'm not sure what antenna to get b/c I'm not sure of the distances. I live in Ancaster (Shaver Rd and Jerseyville Rd). I deduced from other posts (most people using ChannelMaster 4228) that it's in the Fringe or Deep Fringe range, but I want to be sure.

·
Registered
230 Posts
60 ish miles from Buffalo and about 40 from TO

·
Registered
354 Posts
CONSTP said:
Hi experts,

I'm new to this. I read the antenna chart, but I'm not sure what antenna to get b/c I'm not sure of the distances. I live in Ancaster (Shaver Rd and Jerseyville Rd).
I have a brother who lives on Hwy 53 near Dartnall Rd. He uses a separate vhf and uhf (Flying Arrow) with a rotator atop a 45 ft tower. He receives the TO/Buffalo channels all the time + some Rochester and Erie when the tropo is strong.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dundas - The Valley Town - Reception?

StreetPreacher said:
Just started playing a bit tonight, but with a Channel Master 4228 located in a spare bedroom in Dundas ON, so far I've managed.

Analogue: 6, 11, 36, 45 (Hamilton)
17 (WNED Buffalo)
Digital: 15-3 (Toronto 1 Hamilton)

Since I've managed to pick up one of the Buffalo analogues from Grand Island, I'm hoping that the digitals will also be possible, but no luck yet.

And I was a bit dissapointed to see Toronto 1 broadcasting a 16:9 digital signal, but showing the ABC feed of MNF in SD. I thought I had gotten lucky and actually had some OTA HD to watch tonight :)
Hey Streetpreacher - glad to see you got some of this in Dundas - I live pretty near the escarpment and i don't even get RADIO that well.

Before i go to the effort of upgrading any kind of antena or anything like that - can you tell me, do you live up on the hill or down in the valley below? I'm up near Tammy's there - and the reception is rubbish for just about anything, but i've not tried getting digital signals yet.
K

·
Banned
15 Posts
highrise in Hamilton

Hi all,
Been lurking a while, and am ready to get my OTA HD going and would like some help...

I live on the 15th floor of a highrise in Hamilton, I am facing east over the water and can see the CN tower on a clear day. I need some suggestions for pulling in decent signals- Antenna, indoor or a smaller outdoor, preamp, etc.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated. I don't think expensive BEV or Cogeco HD service is for me, I found it had compression blockiness and looked suspect, and I'm into games and movies more, but the OTA HD sounds great for casual viewing!

Any suggestions? I'd be willing to help anyone with PC or networking problems, I know a bit about OTA, but wanted to know if there was anyone in my area that has had good results and how they achieved them, particularly high rise dwellers:)

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you can see the CN Tower, you could place a pair of bunny ears in front of the windows, and you'ld pull in CBC, CTV, CITY, SUNTV (both hamilton and toronto) and the French CBC.

As for getting Buffalo channels, it might be more difficult, especially if buildings and the niagara escarpment are blocking the path the the Buffalo towers.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Cool, thanks, Much appreciated. What results could I expect from a better setup than bunny ears? Is a Channel Master to big for a balcony?

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
Zero HD said:
Cool, thanks, Much appreciated. What results could I expect from a better setup than bunny ears? Is a Channel Master to big for a balcony?
Have you read through the previous posts in this thread? I'd suggest reading through the Niagara thread too so that you have a clear set of expectations.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Woodstock - is Grand Island/ Buffalo do-able from here?

I'm also in Woodstock, but can get no results with a MiniState UFO on my deck (expected). I was hoping for a hint of reception with my FusionHDTV 5 Lite ATSC/QAM tuner in my HTPC, but will invest in a decent antenna system if I know Grand Island/ Buffalo is do-able from here. By my GPS, Toronto, Grand Island and Erie are all in the 70 ish mile range. I believe this is deepest fringe territory.

Scoltx

41 - 60 of 2442 Posts